Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 2 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 54
Location: Montreal, Canada

22 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

I'd like to get back into playing piano. I have a nice electric piano, but it's still at my dad's house.



zcientist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 398
Location: Mee-chee-gan

23 Dec 2018, 1:07 pm

Bass guitar, and I'm fairly new to it.


_________________
"Think of me when you look to the night sky..."-Zorak from SGC2C


Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,295
Location: Micronesia

02 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
piano. trying to get my hands on a yamaha digital piano with weighted keys.

learning some guitar. i have a strat.


I've got the YAMAHA Montage, it's a beast and one of Yamaha's current best instruments.
But it is as expensive as a car. If you are looking for something cheaper, the Roland RD-2000 can be had for cheaper especially 2nd hands prices are real good! and as a bonus it has wooden parts in its piano keys which Yamaha's don't have unless you go way up in prices to some of their Clavinova models (which may cost like a high end sports car)

Or, a real bargain would be the Kawai MP11. Since the MP11SE came out 2nd hand prices dropped vastly on the original model. It's nearly identical. Hardware is the same, it just has some minor improvements and 1/2 more piano sounds - but I heard it has the best piano action just like an acoustic grand, full wooden keys/action in cheaper prices than what you would get from YAMAHA since Kawai is a much smaller company.


i don't have a house to sell.


Nobody has. Just saying buy it second hand. It's less expensive than you think. I mean you could always go for something really cheap, but would you enjoy it as much? learning on too cheap of an instrument might deter you from continuing playing it. And even if not, you should always learn on a good sounding piano no matter your level of play, especially if you are a beginner obviously. Of course I don't say you have to get the flagship models, duh, but an older Flagship model or even mid range price of earlier generation that just got a replacement model will just be a steal in second hand prices. Like literally!



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,827
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

02 Jan 2019, 9:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone play harmonica? I might get one as a last minute gift for someone who plays guitar, bass, sitar, percussion, sax, trumpet, keyboard, piano, etc. I just have a few questions!


Harmonica in Key of C? Major C? Key of G? Blues? (Oh wait you can get 12 kinds from A - G Sharp? ... ) 8O

I have no idea what any of that means!


Music was designed to be confusing, for example there's twelve notes in an octave. Logically, that would be called a duodectave. An octave should be split into 8 notes, not twelve but then we'd be playing alien music based on intervals not typically used.

Basically, what we're used to is based around 12 tone, equal temperament with A being equal to 440 Hz. There's no inherent reason one has to create music following those rules though. Of course, the more 'normal rules' you break, the less recognizable the outcome will be.


_________________
Who’s better at organic chemistry than a person? They’re made of organic chemistry!


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,613

02 Jan 2019, 10:38 pm

Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
piano. trying to get my hands on a yamaha digital piano with weighted keys.

learning some guitar. i have a strat.


I've got the YAMAHA Montage, it's a beast and one of Yamaha's current best instruments.
But it is as expensive as a car. If you are looking for something cheaper, the Roland RD-2000 can be had for cheaper especially 2nd hands prices are real good! and as a bonus it has wooden parts in its piano keys which Yamaha's don't have unless you go way up in prices to some of their Clavinova models (which may cost like a high end sports car)

Or, a real bargain would be the Kawai MP11. Since the MP11SE came out 2nd hand prices dropped vastly on the original model. It's nearly identical. Hardware is the same, it just has some minor improvements and 1/2 more piano sounds - but I heard it has the best piano action just like an acoustic grand, full wooden keys/action in cheaper prices than what you would get from YAMAHA since Kawai is a much smaller company.


i don't have a house to sell.


Nobody has. Just saying buy it second hand. It's less expensive than you think. I mean you could always go for something really cheap, but would you enjoy it as much? learning on too cheap of an instrument might deter you from continuing playing it. And even if not, you should always learn on a good sounding piano no matter your level of play, especially if you are a beginner obviously. Of course I don't say you have to get the flagship models, duh, but an older Flagship model or even mid range price of earlier generation that just got a replacement model will just be a steal in second hand prices. Like literally!


Being less than a great musician but with a great love of music, I have found it most rewarding to purchase the highest quality instrument I can afford. Poor musician on crap instrument is really gut wrenching to play and listen to.

When I started to learn banjo, I first bought a standard beginners banjo to see if I really had any interest. When it got so my banjo playing ability was better than my voice, but the banjo tonality and staying in tune were the problem, I knew I was ready for a better instrument. I saved up and bought the afore mentioned WL reproduction. I have not out grown it yet, but when I do I want a vintage "real" WL which will probably be about three times more expensive. Don't know if I'll ever get there.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,662
Location: Seattle, WA

02 Jan 2019, 10:48 pm

Back in the day I was a guitarist. I owned quite a few and did some recordings and live shows in bands. I also taught myself bass, keyboards and drums. It's been years since I've played music or owned any instruments, but tomorrow I'll be getting my first keyboard in about six years, a Nektar LX88+. It'll be the controller for all the midi instruments I have on my computer.



Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,295
Location: Micronesia

10 Jan 2019, 6:07 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
piano. trying to get my hands on a yamaha digital piano with weighted keys.

learning some guitar. i have a strat.


I've got the YAMAHA Montage, it's a beast and one of Yamaha's current best instruments.
But it is as expensive as a car. If you are looking for something cheaper, the Roland RD-2000 can be had for cheaper especially 2nd hands prices are real good! and as a bonus it has wooden parts in its piano keys which Yamaha's don't have unless you go way up in prices to some of their Clavinova models (which may cost like a high end sports car)

Or, a real bargain would be the Kawai MP11. Since the MP11SE came out 2nd hand prices dropped vastly on the original model. It's nearly identical. Hardware is the same, it just has some minor improvements and 1/2 more piano sounds - but I heard it has the best piano action just like an acoustic grand, full wooden keys/action in cheaper prices than what you would get from YAMAHA since Kawai is a much smaller company.


i don't have a house to sell.


Nobody has. Just saying buy it second hand. It's less expensive than you think. I mean you could always go for something really cheap, but would you enjoy it as much? learning on too cheap of an instrument might deter you from continuing playing it. And even if not, you should always learn on a good sounding piano no matter your level of play, especially if you are a beginner obviously. Of course I don't say you have to get the flagship models, duh, but an older Flagship model or even mid range price of earlier generation that just got a replacement model will just be a steal in second hand prices. Like literally!


Being less than a great musician but with a great love of music, I have found it most rewarding to purchase the highest quality instrument I can afford. Poor musician on crap instrument is really gut wrenching to play and listen to.

When I started to learn banjo, I first bought a standard beginners banjo to see if I really had any interest. When it got so my banjo playing ability was better than my voice, but the banjo tonality and staying in tune were the problem, I knew I was ready for a better instrument. I saved up and bought the afore mentioned WL reproduction. I have not out grown it yet, but when I do I want a vintage "real" WL which will probably be about three times more expensive. Don't know if I'll ever get there.


Cool. Thruthfully I wanna start learning the Banjo. I have a Banjo ukulele (4 string) which I used to play live in a dixieland ensemble, been playing uke for 7 years and would like to also transition to banjo. Do you have any idea as to which brand/model of 4 string Banjo is good for beginners for those genres purposes - Ragtime/Dixie? (IIRC I was told a 4 string tenor is what I should look for) but I have no idea what model and where to buy. Sadly it will have to be ordered online, so eBay, or Thomann, or whatever online shop that ships worldwide...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!



AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,299

24 Jan 2019, 7:02 pm

Chummy wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Banjo Hangout

I've bought a banjo and a uke from here. Good experiences. You can get more value in a used instrument than a new one.



Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,295
Location: Micronesia

24 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm

AspE wrote:
Chummy wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Banjo Hangout

I've bought a banjo and a uke from here. Good experiences. You can get more value in a used instrument than a new one.


Thanks appreciate the help I will look into it



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,613

24 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

AspE wrote:
Chummy wrote:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Banjo Hangout

I've bought a banjo and a uke from here. Good experiences. You can get more value in a used instrument than a new one.


I have had good experiences with banjo hangout also. Did buy a second banjo thru their listings.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,299

25 Jan 2019, 3:13 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I have had good experiences with banjo hangout also. Did buy a second banjo thru their listings.

Got a Carl Arcand "Second Life" rebuilt Piccolo Banjo. And a 1920's Slingerland Maybelle banjo uke complete with original drawings on the head of Charles Lindberg's airplane and a pornographic rabbit!



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,613

30 Jan 2019, 8:45 pm

I got a used banjo from banjo hangout classifieds, very successfully. I got a Goodtime Parlor banjo, which is only 23 inches long, but has the same tuning and fingering as the full sized banjo. It fits into carry on luggage and I got it summer of 2017 so I could take a banjo when I went to Wyoming to see the solar eclipse. Just got it out again. It doesn't stay in tune very well, but it has a bit of a mellower sound. The former owner put on a skin head and I like the sound. Plunked around with it a bit this evening. Anyway, it was a smooth transaction with the owner.

Chummy, the other place to look is Penny Lane Emporium https://pennylaneemporium.com/ I got my WL from him. The owner is knowledgeable and very friendly and will ship.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,644
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

31 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

I play a fender fender stratocaster.



Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2019
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,644
Location: Warner Robins, Ga

31 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm

here is another. I'm kinda self-conscious about playing in front of people. I made this one with bandlab cakewalk. I just play for fun.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,827
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

03 Feb 2019, 7:24 pm

So, I've started putting together some practice recordings to get better at rapping and the improvement is actually starting to show. I just have to move my hand to stay on the beat, it's really hard otherwise.


_________________
Who’s better at organic chemistry than a person? They’re made of organic chemistry!