Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 2:09 pm

I am usually fine with verbal cues, but I have issues reading nonverbal cues, especially facial expressions. For example, on Friday, I was at school working on something in class. I looked in the direction of a "popular" white girl but not directly at her. Eventually, I noticed she was staring at me, so I looked at her. When our eyes met, she made a facial expression resembling scorn. I had no idea what that meant because I don't really know her. Could anyone explain this?

Anayenda
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2018, 2:57 am

There are quite a lot of things this could mean, actually, and I can no more know what she meant than you do. Perhaps she thought you were staring at her, even though for you it felt the other way around. Perhaps she is a mean person and wanted to confuse you. Perhaps she was being nice, trying to signal 'Isn't this lessons super boring?'

Bah, communication is complex and confusing.

What is your reason for asking? (I mean, of course you are totally free to and I'd love to help you better.)

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 9:16 am

Anayenda wrote:
There are quite a lot of things this could mean, actually, and I can no more know what she meant than you do. Perhaps she thought you were staring at her, even though for you it felt the other way around. Perhaps she is a mean person and wanted to confuse you. Perhaps she was being nice, trying to signal 'Isn't this lessons super boring?'

What is your reason for asking? (I mean, of course you are totally free to and I'd love to help you better.)

I just wanted some input because I've been confusing some nonverbal (and also verbal) cues lately.

Anayenda
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2018, 5:18 am

warrier120 wrote:
Anayenda wrote:

I just wanted some input because I've been confusing some nonverbal (and also verbal) cues lately.

Alright I see ^^
Well I don't think I can really help you with interpreting this particular cue.

The best advice I can give you is: don't blame yourself too much.
My life became so much better the day I decided that communication is a two-person thing. Misunderstanding, hence, is not just caused by the one receiving signals, but also by the one sending signals!

I trust those who are close to me to be very explicit when communicating about something that is important to them. Those who expect me to pick up hints and get frustrated when I miss them... they tend to disappear from my life. But the question is whether that is a bad thing... ;)