Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:01 pm

It seems to me that most people have fairly narrow musical tastes.

When I was young, my musical tastes became pretty narrow in high school and college. Prior to high school, I really wasn't exposed to much music except for religious music at church, classical music at concerts (I got dragged to a lot of them back then and generally enjoyed them), and some of the old time country and western on the radio. I lived way out in the country and so didn't have much in the way of peers who had any particular views on music.

In high school as I became more socially aware -- although not all that social -- I grew to like rock music and that continued in college and a little after college. At some point in my 20s, I started to listen to much more classical music and did for years. After that, my musical tastes really blossomed out to include just about everything.

Today, I am perfectly happy to listen to just about any music except heavy metal, rap, and kids songs. It doesn't matter if it is rock, country and western, gospel, soul, jazz, classical, show tunes, folk, bluegrass, or most other musical genres from all around the world. My collection of CDs covers all of this and more.

So how wide are your musical tastes? Can you tune in any random music station on the radio and listen to it contently for a week? How much have they shifted over time?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:25 pm

I like nearly every kind of music. I also bounce around widely in each listening session and can go from rock to punk to: jazz, country, blues, classical, opera, gospel, old school rap, ambient, house/dance, old school metal, new wave all in a day.

My list of what I don't like is far shorter than what I do.

I don't listen to contemporary rap
I don't listen to contemporary top 40. My kids listen to only one radio station that plays Bruno Mars, Charlie Puth, etc incessantly and I hate it.

Patterns and repetition in songs are either enjoyable to me or very irritating depending on the song. I'm prone to getting a song stuck in my head for days or weeks. I used to be very sensitive to this, but now I don't let it own me.

In regard to "kid's" songs, you should give the They Might Be Giants ABC's, 123's and science albums. They're cool.

Last edited by Magna on 29 Oct 2018, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:29 pm

i like chopin, classic kanye, tangerine dream, stereolab, grimes and nurse with wound.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:33 pm

I haven't listened to the radio in ages so I couldn't say, but I like a lot of different stuff: symphonic, some opera, quite a few minimalists, jazz, both classic and modern, blues, gospel, some rock, industrial, punk, post-punk, trip hop, some hip hop and a lot of electronic from classic to some pretty niche stuff.

I don't like pop, country and dubstep.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2018, 2:43 am

My musical taste is very wide. I even enjoy some classicals :lol:

But no joke. It's very wide.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 5:26 am

Not super wide...I mean, I do like a wide variety of genres, but I have a really hard time getting into anything that's electronically produced.

Unless it's video game music. I can really get into a good game soundtrack.

kokopelli wrote:
Can you tune in any random music station on the radio and listen to it contently for a week?

No, not really.

Even the "good" stations I can only tolerate for so long...they start to play the same songs over and over again, and as soon as I hear a few bad songs, I have to flip to something else.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 5:28 am

It's wide enough that I haven't really set any criteria for what my musical tastes are.

The music I listen to includes baroque, jazz and metal.

My favourite songs are the ones I've already heard a lot of times because I take comfort in the familiar.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Nov 2018, 6:24 pm

I like a lot of stuff including :arrow:
Pop
Comedy
Country
Classic Rock
Glam Rock
Punk
Ska
80s
90s
70s
90s Alternative
Soft Rock
Celtic

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 11:03 pm

"how wide are your musical tastes?"

VERY. From A-capella to Z-ulu music. Blues, Jazz, Dubstep, Salsa, you name it.

:)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 3:23 pm

I used to be into gothic rock and symphonic or power metal when i was a teenager. Nowadays i like pretty much everything from classical music and opera to korean pop music to 80s rock.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 6:41 pm

It doesn't extend beyond classical and a dozen or two hits from the sixties and seventies.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 7:32 pm

WHAT

HAPPENED

TO

CLAIRE BOUCHER AKA GRIMES

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Prudolph
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 7:40 pm

Well, I like practically every genre....classical, folk, jazz, blues, rock (and its subgenres) country, rnb, disco, new wave, punk, prog, heavy metal (incl. death metal and metalcore), old-school pop and hiphop, acoustic, trance, house, drum n bass, jungle.......I'm not a huge fan of most modern pop/rnb/hiphop though, only a few artists I actively enjoy, the rest just sounds terrible to me.

AQ-49 of 50
EQ-7 of 60
RDOS:
Neurodiverse (Aspie) score is 183 of 200.
Neurotypical (Non-autistic) score is 31 of 200

INTJ-T Personality type

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2018, 7:44 pm

Thanks to my parents and grandparents, both very wide-ranging and embarrassingly outdated! About the only exposure I get to current popular music is hearing it at either sporting events or in the menus of sports video games :lol: (although to be fair, most popular music since the late 1990s is crap :wink: ) Additionally I have met an equally diverse amount of well-known musicians such as Lee Greenwood, Gene Simmons from KISS, the Goo Goo Dolls, Vanilla Ice, and Kenny G 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 9:18 pm

Ancient Roman
Ancient Greek
Ancient Egyptian
Music of the Middle Ages
Classical
Rag Time
Roaring 20s
German military
Other military
40s Pop
50s rock
60s rock
The Kinks
70s Rock
70s Punk
70s Disco
World music
Some Hip Hop
80s Rock
80s Pop
K-Pop

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:43 pm

I also like Christmas and Halloween music.