Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:43 pm

I also like Christmas and Halloween music.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:59 am

I can like anything as long as it's not country music or gangster rap.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Nov 2018, 7:07 am

I'd like to add :arrow:
Disco
EMO
Grunge

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 7:46 am

Mostly, I greatly prefer silence. Music playing in the background as people are speaking, the phone is ringing, dogs are barking, and cars and trucks are rumbling by just adds to the general cacophony and drives me crazy.
If I do choose to listen to music, I like sea shanteys, Scottish, Irish, English, & American trad., bluegrass, blues, American folk, 70's rock; occasionally classical (but I'm not an aficionado). I'd much prefer to see any of these performed imperfectly live by real humans than digitally enhanced perfection off of a CD or something.
As much as I adore ballads, my mate prefers instrumentals; often flamenco/classical guitar or frenetic belly-dance music (she's a belly dancer), although she accompanies me to local performers (mostly Appalachian/folk/bluegrass). We like to attend drum circles, too.
Sometimes I play non-verbal spa/massage/meditation music when I'm overstimulated and need to chill out; she likes it for sex and meditation. If I need to mask outside noise, I prefer something like rain sounds, or pure binaural beats (Theta frequency) as "white noise" with ear buds, in extremis under hard clamshell-type hearing protectors.
I have a very strong aversion to techno, hip-hop, and the banal, twangy, overly-formulaic, mass-produced, plastic crap that passes for country music these days, with it's ludicrously contrived faux regional accents (I live here; nobody talks like that!) and God-and-KKKuntry themes. It's the audible equivalent (and has all of the authenticity) of all of that cheap ersatz Americana (Made in PRC) cluttering the lobby of a 'Cracker Barrel' restaurant.
To me those genres are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I play the great Highland bagpipe.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 9:16 pm

I like a lot of genres, but generally not country or a lot of rap. I range from classic rock to dream pop, to horror synthwave, to indie, to classical, and ragas on a rare occasion.

The past few years I've been into stuff like OddZoo, Fixions, Black Ceiling, iamamiwhoami, The Knife, Master Boot Record, Beach House, Vulta, Alex, Blanck Mass, Perturbator, Trevor Something, Rone, Lorn, Tobacco, and others.

But I still listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Leo Kottke, Debussy, Bach, Queens of the Stone Age, Low, Radiohead, Dan Deacon, Grimes, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Gang Gang Dance, Philip Glass, Boards of Canada, That 1 Guy, etc, here and there.

I made a distinct turn towards music including electronic instruments about 10 years ago.

Mainstream pop is not on the list.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 6:13 am

Piobaire wrote:
I have a very strong aversion to techno, hip-hop, and the banal, twangy, overly-formulaic, mass-produced, plastic crap that passes for country music these days...

I've heard a little bit of modern country lately, and some of it sounds almost the same as what they play on top-40 stations: "sweating in the club" beats (and sometimes lyrics) and plenty of auto-tune.

But a lot of people around here are into that "MossyOak/RealTree" culture.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2018, 7:32 am

I like most music except twangy country and 99.9% of all rap.

But, I don't really listen to it all that often, occasionally listening to a few podcasts now & then. I prefer silence for the most part.

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2018, 12:14 pm

From Dr Dre to synthwave to Def Leppard, very wide.
I just dislike the modern day trap music and pop, but I enjoy the pop from the 1980s.