Trump to Suppress Citizenship of Americans Born on US Soil

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

30 Oct 2018, 8:11 am

Of Americans that he doesn't like, that is.

Exclusive: Trump targeting birthright citizenship with executive order

Quote:
President Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said yesterday in an exclusive interview for "Axios on HBO," a new four-part documentary news series debuting on HBO this Sunday at 6:30 p.m. ET/PT.


Trump claims he can defy Constitution and end birthright citizenship

Quote:
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump offered a dramatic, if legally dubious, promise in a new interview to unilaterally end birthright citizenship, ratcheting up his hardline immigration rhetoric with a week to go before critical midterm elections.

Trump's vow to end the right to citizenship for the children of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on US soil came in an interview with Axios released Tuesday. Such a step would be regarded as an affront to the US Constitution, which was amended 150 years ago to include the words: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."


Trump Says He Will Void Birthright Citizenship Law Through Executive Order

Quote:
President Trump is planning to use an executive order to strip birthright citizenship from America's laws, rather than trying to change the Constitution through an act of Congress. The potential move, whose constitutionality isn't settled, would seek to end the conferring of citizenship to children of non-citizens who are born in the U.S.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump said. He discussed the plan in an interview with Axios on HBO that is slated to air Sunday.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,007

30 Oct 2018, 8:25 am

Hey, that is a 14th Amendment right! Could he do the same with other Amendments, such as the 1st and 2nd, if he gains control of the Supreme Court?



thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

30 Oct 2018, 9:14 am

BTDT wrote:
Hey, that is a 14th Amendment right! Could he do the same with other Amendments, such as the 1st and 2nd, if he gains control of the Supreme Court?


If he has true control of the Supreme Court, Trump could get away with practically anything.

But if he has general support on the Supreme Court, they could stymie Trump's actions in a particular case. The problem is that it could take years for a case to reach the Supreme Court, and they don't have to hear a case if they don't want to (which would probably work in Trump's favor).

They might hesitate at a certain point. For example, Congress controls the "purse strings" of the government. Trump cannot legally spend money without Congressional approval, nor can he refuse to spend money that Congress has mandated (Nixon tried the latter and failed miserably). This gives Congress considerable leeway to thwart Trump simply by denying him funding for his projects (e.g., the "big, beautiful wall" that Mexico was supposed to pay for) and Congress can include provisions in legislation that stop Trump. This is less cumbersome than going to the US Supreme Court, but still presents a major difficulty.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,142
Location: USA

30 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

Obama showed us the way.

"President Obama used his State of the Union speech to threaten Congress with executive orders to bypass the legislative process"

Obama didn't like US immigration laws, so he made his own laws using "executive orders".

The Dangers When a President Writes His Own Laws
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/harlow-g ... 25187.html

So, now, thanks to Obama, and the Democrats, Trump has such a power to make his own laws.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,720
Location: Twin Peaks

30 Oct 2018, 11:11 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Obama showed us the way.

"President Obama used his State of the Union speech to threaten Congress with executive orders to bypass the legislative process"

Obama didn't like US immigration laws, so he made his own laws using "executive orders".

The Dangers When a President Writes His Own Laws
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/harlow-g ... 25187.html

So, now, thanks to Obama, and the Democrats, Trump has such a power to make his own laws.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4



Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,844
Location: en cendres avec ma chère marcia

30 Oct 2018, 11:58 am

he can't do it, end of story. i don't recall that the 14th amendment was changed.


_________________
❄join my discord pls❄

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,720
Location: Twin Peaks

30 Oct 2018, 12:02 pm

I'm all for it if it applies to everyone who was born here as a result of immigration.



Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,423
Location: UK

30 Oct 2018, 12:04 pm

... do you mean everyone except native Americans?


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,644

30 Oct 2018, 12:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
I'm all for it if it applies to everyone who was born here as a result of immigration.


:D :D :D


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,135
Location: Queens, NYC

30 Oct 2018, 12:06 pm

We shall see what happens.....

If the 14th Amendment can be shown to be applicable, bye bye Executive Order!



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,946
Location: US

30 Oct 2018, 6:07 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
he can't do it, end of story. i don't recall that the 14th amendment was changed.

Neither were the other amendments but that didn’t stop Obama and his pen.
Laws mean nothing to presidents they’ve illegally expanded their powers over last 100 years.
When Obama did it and people here defended him doing it I warned you won’t like it when a republican is In office and does it too. Obama set a precedent



thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

30 Oct 2018, 6:23 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
he can't do it, end of story. i don't recall that the 14th amendment was changed.

Neither were the other amendments but that didn’t stop Obama and his pen.
Laws mean nothing to presidents they’ve illegally expanded their powers over last 100 years.
When Obama did it and people here defended him doing it I warned you won’t like it when a republican is In office and does it too. Obama set a precedent


Whataboutism.



Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,347
Location: Smackass Gap, NC

31 Oct 2018, 11:41 am

It may just be a loud dog-whistle to froth up the knuckle-dragging racists, nativists, and xenophobes who make up such a sizeable portion of the Republican electoral base prior to the midterms. If he's actually serious, it betrays a breathtaking ignorance of Constitutional law if he truly believes that the Constitution can be edited at will simply by imperial decree.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,007

31 Oct 2018, 12:44 pm

If he gets this, I think he will broker a deal to get rid of the 1st and 2nd amendments at the same time! That way the media won't be able to criticize him.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,605
Location: Stendec

31 Oct 2018, 12:51 pm

[  ] Option A ...

Piobaire wrote:
It may just be a loud dog-whistle to froth up the knuckle-dragging racists, nativists, and xenophobes who make up such a sizeable portion of the Republican electoral base prior to the midterms.

[  ] Option B ...
Piobaire wrote:
... it betrays a breathtaking ignorance of Constitutional law if he truly believes that the Constitution can be edited at will simply by imperial decree.

[X] Option C ...
Fnord wrote:
All of the above.