Starting lots threads on basically the same topic.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 8:28 am

I won't say where because I don't want to pick on anyone. But threre is a section where someone starts 1 to 3 threads per day on pretty much the same topic.

At what point if any does that constitute spamming?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

If it's three similar threads each day on "Why I Hate My Sister" with basically the same reasons given each time, then that's spamming.

If it's three separate threads each day on "Lincoln does 'X'", "Lincoln says 'Y'", and "Lincoln writes 'Z'" with a different story beginning each thread, then that isn't spamming.

However, you might think otherwise if you were the person who hates the sister, or you were an apologist for Lincoln.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:31 am

Fnord wrote:

However, you might think otherwise if you were the person who hates the sister, or you were an apologist for Lincoln.

Who are you and what have you done with Fnord ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 11:28 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Who are you and what have you done with Fnord ?

He's still there in all his glory.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 11:32 am

Fnord wrote:
If it's three similar threads each day on "Why I Hate My Sister" with basically the same reasons given each time, then that's spamming.

If it's three separate threads each day on "Lincoln does 'X'", "Lincoln says 'Y'", and "Lincoln writes 'Z'" with a different story beginning each thread, then that isn't spamming.

So if the section basically gets turned into being all about Lincoln, that's not an issue.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 11:49 am

If people are interested in Lincoln, and nobody is insulting anyone----why not?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If it's three similar threads each day on "Why I Hate My Sister" with basically the same reasons given each time, then that's spamming. If it's three separate threads each day on "Lincoln does 'X'", "Lincoln says 'Y'", and "Lincoln writes 'Z'" with a different story beginning each thread, then that isn't spamming. However, you might think otherwise if you were the person who hates the sister, or you were an apologist for Lincoln.
So if the section basically gets turned into being all about Lincoln, that's not an issue.
Correct. The problem come in when the same people post the same opinions about Lincoln that they post everywhere else after to OP -- that is what makes the Lincoln threads all spammish, and not the OPs.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If it's three similar threads each day on "Why I Hate My Sister" with basically the same reasons given each time, then that's spamming. If it's three separate threads each day on "Lincoln does 'X'", "Lincoln says 'Y'", and "Lincoln writes 'Z'" with a different story beginning each thread, then that isn't spamming. However, you might think otherwise if you were the person who hates the sister, or you were an apologist for Lincoln.
Correct. The problem come in when the same people post the same opinions about Lincoln that they post everywhere else after to OP -- that is what makes the Lincoln threads all spammish, and not the OPs.

Excellent then I'll start making 3 new posts per day about Football or Justin Bieber to that section. I just wanted to make sure that was okay. I'll be sure to keep the xyz formula in mind.

Last edited by EzraS on 30 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:14 pm

If somebody likes football....then why not?

I wouldn't mind responding to multiple threads about the 1968 Super Bowl Jets.

There are many aspects to football....and there are quite a few different types of football, too.

The best thing to do....if you don't like multiple threads about the same subject....is to not respond to the threads.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If somebody likes football....then why not?

I wouldn't mind responding to multiple threads about the 1968 Super Bowl Jets.

There are many aspects to football....and there are quite a few different types of football, too.

The best thing to do....if you don't like multiple threads about the same subject....is to not respond to the threads.

How about 3 new posts per day about the Kardashians? I come across that name all the time so people must be interested.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

I wouldn't respond to them. I have no interest in the Kardashians.

Anyway....no cross-posting is allowed. You can't post the same thread in two different subforums.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn't respond to them. I have no interest in the Kardashians.

Anyway....no cross-posting is allowed. You can't post the same thread in two different subforums.

Where did you get the idea I was talking about crossposting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 8:13 pm

I know you weren't....but it does happen.

The best things to do are:

1. Contact the moderators.

2. Just ignore them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:21 pm

I was just asking if something was okay or not.