If You Had a Monkey's Paw, What Would You Wish For?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 4:15 pm

Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
My first wish would be for the thing to grant me wishes that didn't backfire. :mrgreen:

But then, as it is the monkey's paw and all wishes must backfire somehow, would not that wish also somehow backfire?

:scratch:

The monkey paw always exacts a toll. Maybe the toll would just be unrelated to the wish in that case. Like that your other wishes don't backfire but the monkey paw just explodes and blows off your arm.

Kind of makes me think of the kirin. A mythical beast in Asian culture that grants wishes by sacrificing the blood of others.

At least that's how Pet Shop of Horrors explained it.

Was there any specification as to how you had to get the blood? Did you have to kill someone or could you just pin prick them or steal a blood pack from the back of a blood donation van?

In that episode it basically meant that the creature itself used it's powers to kill other people in exchange for giving the owner the power over what he or she desired most. The pet shop owner even explained that many powerful rulers throughout history used this creature to win wars that furthered the advancement of their own countries and empires.

Scipio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
My first wish would be for the thing to grant me wishes that didn't backfire. :mrgreen:

But then, as it is the monkey's paw and all wishes must backfire somehow, would not that wish also somehow backfire?

The monkey paw always exacts a toll. Maybe the toll would just be unrelated to the wish in that case. Like that your other wishes don't backfire but the monkey paw just explodes and blows off your arm.

Kind of makes me think of the kirin. A mythical beast in Asian culture that grants wishes by sacrificing the blood of others.

Was there any specification as to how you had to get the blood? Did you have to kill someone or could you just pin prick them or steal a blood pack from the back of a blood donation van?

In that episode it basically meant that the creature itself used it's powers to kill other people in exchange for giving the owner the power over what he or she desired most. The pet shop owner even explained that many powerful rulers throughout history used this creature to win wars that furthered the advancement of their own countries and empires.

Makes me wonder why the pet shop owner was not using the creature for their own purposes. Unless they were some kind of dark agent sent from the doomverse to pass the creature off on some naive mortal like the puzzle box in Hellraiser.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 5:04 pm

Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Scipio wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Makes me wonder why the pet shop owner was not using the creature for their own purposes. Unless they were some kind of dark agent sent from the doomverse to pass the creature off on some naive mortal like the puzzle box in Hellraiser.

It's a horror anime and each episode revolves around the owner selling a monster pet to a person who is dealing with their own personal demons. One episode is about a couple who buy a rabbit girl that looks exactly like their dead daughter, one is about a man who buys a mermaid that looks exactly like his wife who killed herself on their wedding night, one is about a depressed failing actor who buys a gorgon named Medusa who has to wear a blindfold, and the last episode is about a politician and his assistant who buy the kirin hoping to become the next president of the United States of America.

It's a very dark show and it's kind of done in the same style as the movie Gremlins. Each pet comes with a set of rules and if any of the rules get broken it causes bad things to happen to the owners. :skull:

Scipio

30 Oct 2018, 6:07 pm

That sounds like a pretty cool show. I really like Deathnote and Attack on Titan as well. Those are totally different but I think they both still fall under horror anime.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 6:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
a monkey to go on the end of it
Granted.

(Wait ... shouldn't this go into the Corrupt A Wish thread?)

Yeah.
Was just gonna say that. Either the OP doesn't get the Poe story, or does get it, but doesn't know that this theme is redundant with the corrupt a wish thread.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 11:51 pm

I'd wish for that monkey to get their paw back.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 2:33 am

I'd wish for a rabbit's foot.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Oct 2018, 2:54 pm

I'd burn it so noone could be harmed by it again.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 3:12 pm

Proper employment not only for myself, but also my sister.