Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 1:42 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I predict that the 2020 election will be the most decisive one yet. I also predict lots of strawman arguments from both sides.

I have a feeling he's going to win. There's just too many people who support him no matter what he does.

I bet he could somehow create a law where anybody who dares to say something negative about him will be tortured to death by being burned alive before the public and his supporters would still love him.

It's the left, not the right who wants to make "hate speech" illegal.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 3:47 pm

You can stop panicking now. The sky isn't falling.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... d-a-crisis

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 1:19 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
You can stop panicking now. The sky isn't falling.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... d-a-crisis

The sky may not be not falling but it is lower then it used to be.

While the article talks about America it is understandably more about the UK. As such it understandably does not distinguish between free speech and freedom of expression as that distinction does not exist in a meaningful way.

I have seen surveys claiming younger people are more censorious but let's assume the survey cited showing little difference between generations is true. It is the loudest people that get what they want not the what policies are most popular. It also matters who is pushing "SJW" type censorship. It is coming from the most influential campuses and influential and youthful companies. Another words future and in some cases current leadership.

While I am still pretty worried about the long-term, the election did give me a degree of comfort about the short term. As I mentioned in the other thread, in general, the group of Democrats coming into power are not radical, there are a number of women who served for example. Nancy Pelosi has spoken out against Antifa rioters.

There is little doubt the whole idea of political correctness and snowflakes was brought into the political conversation to shame and silence progressives but it does not mean they did not identify a real problem.

Why some comedians don't like college campuses
Quote:
Did you hear the one about the comedian and the college?

The two usually go well together. Indeed, colleges are popular venues for comedians, with agencies devoted to booking performers on campus. Comedy Central even has a college tour.

But, sometimes, it's as if students and comedians are speaking different languages.

Take comedian Chuck Nice. He told a bit about getting on his knees at the playground and giving his young daughter a dollar for swinging on a pole in a manner that reminded him of a stripper.

It was satire, he says, meant to show that the last thing he wanted was his daughter to become a stripper. The next day, he received a letter telling him he was not welcome back to the institution, he said.

That's what comedians are talking about when they say college campuses have become places where sensitivity has run amok," he said. "There are tons of stories like that."

Apparently, some of those stories are getting back to Jerry Seinfeld, who told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd that he's been cautioned against playing colleges. Cowherd asked Seinfeld whether he was worried that the overall media "climate" was too sensitive for comedians, citing comments from Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy, who said they don't want to play college campuses.

"I hear that all the time," Seinfeld said. "A lot of people tell me 'don't go near colleges.' They're so PC."

He cited his 14-year-old daughter's use of the word "sexist" as evidence of how people -- presumably, those between his daughter's age and college age -- misuse the words "racist," "prejudice" and "sexist" because they don't know "what they're talking about."

Still, some comedians say there's no denying the perception of college campuses as dicey territory for comedy. Comedy is meant to be provocative, but they observe that offending jokes are being amplified and acted on faster and more frequently in the digital age than in previous eras -- especially on college campuses.

Words and ideas fall out of favor as they change in power and meaning. People today think twice today before saying "that's so gay" or calling someone "ret*d." That probably wasn't the case even a decade ago.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, says Nice.

"The landscape of cultural norms is always changing, and comedy changes along with it," he said.

By way of example he offered up Norman Lear's "All in the Family," the popular 1970s sitcom about a working-class family and its bigoted patriarch, Archie Bunker.

The show would never get made today, he said, and "part of that's a bad thing, because it shows we've lost our taste for (its) satire."

On the other hand, "it's a good thing, because it shows we're aware of the need to be sensitive to those outside the cultural majority," he said.

Seinfeld and Rock have reached a point where they can bemoan the state of affairs and avoid college campuses with little impact to their careers, Leonard said. Today's generation of comics "has different points of stress" for things that matter or don't matter, and being culturally sensitive isn't necessarily one of them.

Second City partners with Chicago's Columbia College to offer a bachelor of arts degree in comedy. One of the biggest difficulties working with college-age comedians is that "they are very sensitive to the idea of offending someone," said Anne Libera, director of Second City's comedy studies.

Most of the time, they don't feel personally offended, she said. "It's more a sense of the fear of being called out, the fear of being shamed," she said.

It's an odd dichotomy, she said. Judging from the crowds at comedy shows and the popularity of online comedy platforms, the appetite for comedy among college students appears to be bigger than ever.

Would she play a college campus? Probably not, she said. Not worth the risk.

"There's a lot more judgment and a lot less acceptance," she said. "There's the segment that's afraid of laughing, the segment afraid of being offended and another segment that's afraid of other people being offended."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman