Humanity has wiped out 60% of animal populations since 1970

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 10:53 pm

Humanity has wiped out 60% of animal populations since 1970, report finds - The huge loss is a tragedy in itself but also threatens the survival of civilisation, say the world’s leading scientists

Quote:
Many scientists believe the world has begun a sixth mass extinction, the first to be caused by a species – Homo sapiens. Other recent analyses have revealed that humankind has destroyed 83% of all mammals and half of plants since the dawn of civilisation and that, even if the destruction were to end now, it would take 5-7 million years for the natural world to recover...

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Nov 2018, 1:32 am

Shocking but unfortunately not surprising. The only thing we can do is ensure we as individuals are part of the solution, rather than the problem. I do what I can to tread lightly on the planet.

But some politicians are in denial. Will it take the sort of calamity shown in the movie 2012 or The Day After Tomorrow to rouse them off their butts?

I rewatched the latter on DVD recently, and wondered how ironic it would be if Trump had to seek asylum in Mexico for Americans displaced by natural disaster!

Sorry to wander off track. But the loss of a single species of wildlife is an irreplaceable loss.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 4:43 am

Name 25 animals that existed in 1970 that don't exist now because of climate change.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 8:45 am

EzraS wrote:
Name 25 animals that existed in 1970 that don't exist now because of climate change.

The article isn't just about climate change. It's about human activity of various kinds.

Causes of wildlife decline globally
source: WWF

For some extinct species, see these 33 slides:

Species that have gone extinct in our lifetime

A few slides are for 1967 and others point to the high probability of extinction rather than a final determination, but the list contains plenty of examples of species determined to be extinct since 1970.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 10:52 am

Okay so 7% is supposed to be a result of climate change.

That MSN news link goes to a story about Trump (surprise surprise).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 11:00 am

I don't care what anybody says. We need to maintain our national resources. We need to set aside land as being exempt from development.

Even an ardent capitalist like Theodore Roosevelt believe in the preservation of national resources.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't care what anybody says. We need to maintain our national resources. We need to set aside land as being exempt from development.

Even an ardent capitalist like Theodore Roosevelt believe in the preservation of national resources.

When I look at the planet using google earth, most of the land surface is undeveloped wilderness. Even small countries Great Briton have large undeveloped areas. It's like that one national monument everyone got upset over been downsized. I saw vast wilderness surrounding it. Seems like what made that one spot special were the rock formations that are neat to look at.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

That 60% is an average btw. It's doesn't mean humans have wiped out exactly 60% of animals.

Here's a link to an article in The Atlantic which explains it.

Quote:
Ultimately, they found that from 1970 to 2014, the size of vertebrate populations has declined by 60 percent on average. That is absolutely not the same as saying that humans have culled 60 percent of animals—a distinction that the report’s technical supplement explicitly states. “It is not a census of all wildlife but reports how wildlife populations have changed in size,” the authors write.

To understand the distinction, imagine you have three populations: 5,000 lions, 500 tigers, and 50 bears. Four decades later, you have just 4,500 lions, 100 tigers, and five bears (oh my). Those three populations have declined by 10 percent, 80 percent, and 90 percent, respectively—which means an average decline of 60 percent. But the total number of actual animals has gone down from 5,550 to 4,605, which is a decline of just 17 percent.

Have we really killed 60% of animals

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:18 pm

I have a feeling if I live to be 90, everything will basically be the same, but still on the brink of disaster.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:38 pm

EzraS wrote:

japanese sea lion

saudi gazelle

pyrenian ibex

wimmer's shrew

baiji

emma's giant rat

kouprey

one striped opossum

dinagat hairy-tailed cloud rat

new zealand greater short tailed bat

golden toad

yunnan lake newt

ainsworth's salamander

gastric brooding frog

javan tiger

bachman's warbler

eskimo curlew

mariana mallard

moho braccatus

maui 'akepa

hooded seedeater

'o'u

dusky seaside sparrow

alaotra grebe

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
I have a feeling if I live to be 90, everything will basically be the same, but still on the brink of disaster.

that won't happen

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:48 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:

japanese sea lion

saudi gazelle

pyrenian ibex

wimmer's shrew

baiji

emma's giant rat

kouprey

one striped opossum

dinagat hairy-tailed cloud rat

new zealand greater short tailed bat

golden toad

yunnan lake newt

ainsworth's salamander

gastric brooding frog

javan tiger

bachman's warbler

eskimo curlew

mariana mallard

moho braccatus

maui 'akepa

hooded seedeater

'o'u

dusky seaside sparrow

alaotra grebe

How rare were those subspecies to begin with?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Nov 2018, 2:52 pm

Thank you Kip.

You rose well to the challenge. I was also doing some research but didn't know how to post a link using my tablet. I hadn't quite reached 25 yet...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 2:52 pm

they weren't subspecies. also, several of those were rather rare or endemic to islands. but it doesn't matter.

australia in particular has been ravaged by the white man - and nature's revenge is showing in the skin cancer rates.

the english should have never gone there.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 3:14 pm

The Japanese sea lion was an aquatic mammal thought to have become extinct in the 1970s. It was considered to be a subspecies...

The Pyrenean ibex, Spanish common name bucardo, Catalan common name herc and French common name bouquetin was one of the four subspecies...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 3:16 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:

that won't happen

Not much use in planning for the future then.