Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 4:53 am

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism at around 25 with a three day test. Recent events have brought me to one CSU and one inpatient program. They have observed me and one person has come to the conclusion that because of trauma from grooming when I was little that I have developed PTSD or/and pychosis at times with conflicted, convoluted thinking because I was never allowed closure of the situation. PTSD can be similar to autism in the being sensitive to environment and noises. She thinks that's all I have in common to the autism diagnosis, and that I was just shy as a child with anxiety issues .
I think she may be right.
What do you guys think about being misdiagnosed? Or, do you think PTSD shows similar signs of sensory sensitivity?

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 10:37 pm

I'm just going to keep the diagnosis of autism for now. For one, the people who think I have PTSD instead are nurse practitioners. I have to go to a therapist or some other professional to get diagnosed with PTSD. I may have both. I looked at the medical records for the diagnosis of autism recently. I may get tested again some other time.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 10:55 pm

From what I've seen here, it can be common to have both PTSD and ASD.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2018, 6:24 am

Yes, you may have been misdiagnosed. With anything. Were your parents involved in your diagnosis for ASD? Do you think there was some defined event causing you PTSD?

Magna wrote:
From what I've seen here, it can be common to have both PTSD and ASD.

Agreed. I have likely CPTSD not because of any actual traumatic event but because of years and years of misunderstanding, misinterpreting, denying my needs and demanding impossible - because I was autistic but my parents insisted I was "perfectly normal, only hysterical over nothing".

OP, do autistic terms (meltdown, shutdown, stimming, special interest...) describe your feelings better than "standard" emotions?

Wheather you are autistic or not, getting better with your PTSD would likely make your overall life better.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

I know I've had special interests.
I've looked at the report from the person who diagnosed me. He said I had below average working memory and social skills.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2018, 12:12 pm

^^^ The above is from the report of me having high functioning autism.

Just yesterday I got diagnosed with PTSD from a psychologist and severe depressive disorder.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 2:10 am

Every doctor is going to have their own opinion about what a patient has. It's possible to have all three.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:40 pm

I would take the diagnosis from someone who specializes in autism over the opinion of any ordinary Jo blow healthcare professional anyday on the topic of autism. The more thorough the assessment should trump the conclusions reached by less thorough assessments.