Dealing with Asperger's Syndrome and other problems

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

I seem to think lots people like me with Asperger's have more problems to deal with than other people. It upsets me when I hear about people like me having other problems like anxiety, depression, stress etc. Why should people like me have to suffer more than some other non-autistic people ? It makes me feel when I see it portrayed on TV as though its a terrible life when you an adult with autism and that we are undesirable social outcasts. There were times when I used to get special treatment from people now as an adult, at home and at work I am treated just like everyone else. Although I do find rather uncomfortable if someone was treating me like a child who doesn't know what he's doing and keeps needing a hand to do something. I find it frustrating when people get angry or annoyed with me and not being treated by people in a certain way. I do realise its part of life and you just have to deal with it like everyone else until it passes but I sometimes take things maybe too personally and feel like I'm just a useless, unlikable idiot and a weirdo.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2018, 6:29 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think lots people like me with Asperger's have more problems to deal with than other people. It upsets me when I hear about people like me having other problems like anxiety, depression, stress etc. Why should people like me have to suffer more than some other non-autistic people ? It makes me feel when I see it portrayed on TV as though its a terrible life when you an adult with autism and that we are undesirable social outcasts. There were times when I used to get special treatment from people now as an adult, at home and at work I am treated just like everyone else. Although I do find rather uncomfortable if someone was treating me like a child who doesn't know what he's doing and keeps needing a hand to do something. I find it frustrating when people get angry or annoyed with me and not being treated by people in a certain way. I do realise its part of life and you just have to deal with it like everyone else until it passes but I sometimes take things maybe too personally and feel like I'm just a useless, unlikable idiot and a weirdo.

Well indeed, Aspies do have more problems than many so-called "NT's." At a younger age, it is excruciating and painful to feel like we're a "useless, unlikeable idiot and a weirdo." And to many, that's just what we are.

Just like you I have plenty of reasons to rant about things that happened in the past, and that even happen now in different contexts. However, what helps is to circulate and observe (yes, perhaps just observe) and see some of the challenges others have. There were many people I was plenty jealous of before that today I wouldn't change places with for any amount of money.

And here's something else. While it's true that many people will figure out good reasons (at least for them) to hate us, the reality is that Aspies have some features that can really be appreciated. Maybe your "special interest" will make you a lot of money, while others will struggle to find work. Popularity gets old (i.e., a depressive) real fast, if you don't have any talents to be self sufficient. This is why you can find a lot of Aspies who, while they are plenty upset about their lack of social success in middle age, they tend be be happier in quite a few ways than the ones who had such a good start.

There's no doubt we're undesirable outcasts to many--this bothers me a lot even today. But I've come to appreciate some of the other features of being an Aspie. I think God, whoever he is, wasn't necessarily being mean to me when I was programmed up the way I am. With strength you may not have to believe the opinions of the people who devalue you.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2018, 10:23 pm

I was going to go with some long meandering and possibly inane reply (my usual) but after re-reading it, it seemed more of a vent. I like a good, healthy venting.

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.

If anything is a sign that one should go to bed, it's using Meatloaf lyrics.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 9:03 am

I no longer feel like such a weirdo now that my social opportunities are vastly expanding. I do sometimes still feel like an idiot when I can't perform small tasks as easily as others seem to. I get anxious and annoyed with myself.