Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 8:44 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
This is the central fallacy of the vegans that I've been talking about: the anthropomorphisation of animals. Animals are not human beings

Human beings are animals. Overwhelming scientific consensus.
Prometheus18 wrote:
the whole reason semen can be extracted from a bull or a horse using an artificial vagina is that it's incapable of telling the difference between the two.

Irrelevant... the bull cannot give consent. People often orgasm while getting raped. And people can also ejaculate without orgasm.
Prometheus18 wrote:
Though in any case I'd hardly consider it abuse to allow a male animal to satisfy such an important urge, rather than festering in frustration.

Oh really? Cause males always want it, am I right? :roll:

Prometheus18 wrote:
Cows are generally impregnated using artificial insemination

Yes, they are raped with steel rods and bear gloves.
Prometheus18 wrote:
Ultimately, at this point, if your argument consists of nothing but cows' hurt feelings

Isn't that a part of the main subject? Animal cruelty?

Prometheus18 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Male calves from the dairy industry are castrated and sold for slaughter when they get big enough.Dairy isn’t cruelty free by any means.

You're both arguing against industrial farming techniques, which I've already stated I don't particularly approve of. I'm arguing that vegans are irrational in their objection to ORGANIC dairy produce. The practice of culling calves is banned under organic farming regulations in the EU and United Kingdom

Can somebody find a source on this?

Prometheus18 wrote:
I don't know whether this is true in the USA

It isn't

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

You're both arguing against industrial farming techniques, which I've already stated I don't particularly approve of. I'm arguing that vegans are irrational in their objection to ORGANIC dairy produce. The practice of culling calves is banned under organic farming regulations in the EU and United Kingdom; I don't know whether this is true in the USA, too, but if it isn't then your argument is against a lack of organic standards, not against dairy farming per se.

The two of you will forgive me for assuming that you haven't bothered reading more than one or two of posts between myself and Mr King above.

Apologies...
Yes, I jumped in before I did my homework...
I'll sit back and activate learning mode... :mrgreen:

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 5:51 pm

According to Soil Association (The UK’s largest organic certification body)

Quote:
Dairy farmers are often faced with a dilemma about what to do with male calves, as they cannot be used for milk production. Some dairy breeds, such as British Friesians, can also produce meat, which means that they can be reared for beef production.

Unfortunately, killing male dairy cows is something that happens on both organic and non-organic dairy farms

Quote:
Male calves raised for veal are reared to 6 – 8 months of age.

https://www.soilassociation.org/organic ... anic-cows/

How about the EU?

No support for this claim on their website either.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 4:31 pm

Addressing the elephant in the room:

Is it really a kindness in prolonging the life of an animal which will inevitably be slaughtered in any case?
If desisting from an industry which is inherently cruel and exploitative is not an option, the only recourse is to rigidly adhere to an ethical and humane slaughtering process sooner rather than later, surely...

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:09 pm