Florida yoga studio shootings - Incel terrorism?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

06 Nov 2018, 8:52 pm

According to the logic:
1. Ideology +
2. Harm others based on ideology
Therefore, you're a terrorist.

Then all the Black Lives Matters cop killers are "terrorists".

Any lunatic that has a nutty idea, and harms someone based on that idea is now a "terrorist".

Every school shooter is a terrorist as they shoot up the school, because of their thinking.

Most killing is now terrorism.

There are tens of millions of terrorists acts happening every year.

We should probably start talking about acts of "micro-terrorism" :P


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,885
Location: Boulder CO

06 Nov 2018, 9:06 pm

Violence is distinct from its own causes.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,243
Location: Long Island, New York

07 Nov 2018, 4:01 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
According to the logic:
1. Ideology +
2. Harm others based on ideology
Therefore, you're a terrorist.

Then all the Black Lives Matters cop killers are "terrorists".

Any lunatic that has a nutty idea, and harms someone based on that idea is now a "terrorist".

Every school shooter is a terrorist as they shoot up the school, because of their thinking.

Most killing is now terrorism.

There are tens of millions of terrorists acts happening every year.

We should probably start talking about acts of "micro-terrorism" :P

Most killing is for money or for purely personal reasons. The Mafia uses the typical terrorist tactics of assassination and bombings for intimidation purposes. But since it is for financial reasons and to prevent squealing to the feds the Mafia is not a terrorist organization. The person who shoots up a school just because he was bullied there is not a terrorist.

Black Lives Matter as a whole is not a terrorst organiziation although some members might be. There was an organization called the Black Liberation Army that did target cops in the ‘70s. In many terrorism histories thier attacks are listed. The difference is back then most of the attacks were done by organizations. Today’s attacks are often done by “lone wolves”. There is a school of thought that says “lone wolf terrorism” is not terrorism. I have never agreed with that school of thought.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

07 Nov 2018, 4:52 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
According to the logic:
1. Ideology +
2. Harm others based on ideology
Therefore, you're a terrorist.

Then all the Black Lives Matters cop killers are "terrorists".

Any lunatic that has a nutty idea, and harms someone based on that idea is now a "terrorist".

Every school shooter is a terrorist as they shoot up the school, because of their thinking.

Most killing is now terrorism.

There are tens of millions of terrorists acts happening every year.

We should probably start talking about acts of "micro-terrorism" :P

Most killing is for money or for purely personal reasons. The Mafia uses the typical terrorist tactics of assassination and bombings for intimidation purposes. But since it is for financial reasons and to prevent squealing to the feds the Mafia is not a terrorist organization. The person who shoots up a school just because he was bullied there is not a terrorist.

Black Lives Matter as a whole is not a terrorst organiziation although some members might be. There was an organization called the Black Liberation Army that did target cops in the ‘70s. In many terrorism histories thier attacks are listed. The difference is back then most of the attacks were done by organizations. Today’s attacks are often done by “lone wolves”. There is a school of thought that says “lone wolf terrorism” is not terrorism. I have never agreed with that school of thought.

You're missing the point.

If this guy is a "misogyny terrorist" (he's trying to further his personal ideas about misogyny) then ...

-people who kill for money are "financial terrorists"
-people who kill for anti-cop causes are "law enforcement terrorists"
-people who shoot up schools are "rebel (rebellion) terrorists"
-people who belong to gangs/MOB are "La Costra Nostra terrorists"
-people who kill because of a GOD are "religious terrorists"

All criminals are trying to advance their personal causes.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,243
Location: Long Island, New York

07 Nov 2018, 5:13 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
According to the logic:
1. Ideology +
2. Harm others based on ideology
Therefore, you're a terrorist.

Then all the Black Lives Matters cop killers are "terrorists".

Any lunatic that has a nutty idea, and harms someone based on that idea is now a "terrorist".

Every school shooter is a terrorist as they shoot up the school, because of their thinking.

Most killing is now terrorism.

There are tens of millions of terrorists acts happening every year.

We should probably start talking about acts of "micro-terrorism" :P

Most killing is for money or for purely personal reasons. The Mafia uses the typical terrorist tactics of assassination and bombings for intimidation purposes. But since it is for financial reasons and to prevent squealing to the feds the Mafia is not a terrorist organization. The person who shoots up a school just because he was bullied there is not a terrorist.

Black Lives Matter as a whole is not a terrorst organiziation although some members might be. There was an organization called the Black Liberation Army that did target cops in the ‘70s. In many terrorism histories thier attacks are listed. The difference is back then most of the attacks were done by organizations. Today’s attacks are often done by “lone wolves”. There is a school of thought that says “lone wolf terrorism” is not terrorism. I have never agreed with that school of thought.

You're missing the point.

If this guy is a "misogyny terrorist" (he's trying to further his personal ideas about misogyny) then ...

-people who kill for money are "financial terrorists"
-people who kill for anti-cop causes are "law enforcement terrorists"
-people who shoot up schools are "rebel (rebellion) terrorists"
-people who belong to gangs/MOB are "La Costra Nostra terrorists"
-people who kill because of a GOD are "religious terrorists"

All criminals are trying to advance their personal causes.


Violence for purely personal reasons is not terrorism so considering no other motives
-people who kill for money are "financial terrorists"
No, there is no larger cause but their own enrichment.

-people who kill for anti-cop causes are "law enforcement terrorists"
It depends. If they seek revenge against the cops that they believed wronged them personally it is not terrorism. If they kill them because they hate them as a group it is 1. A socio-political cause. Cops are part of the government. Attacks against the government because they do not like the government or a government policyis in every terrorist definition.

-people who shoot up schools are "rebel (rebellion) terrorists"
Again it depends but most school shootings seem to be about purely personal reasons not some sort of social cause

-people who belong to gangs/MOB are "La Costra Nostra terrorists"
Same as "financial terrorism"

-people who kill because of a GOD are "religious terrorists"
If they did it because they heard a voice in their head saying kill people no but if they are doing it because they are anti nonbelievers in whatever religion they are into they are not doing it for purely personal reasons but for a larger cause. If this is not terrorism then 9/11 was not terrorism, most of the bombings and beheadings in Iraq are not terrorism.

I judge it on a case by case basis and determine if it is terrorism. This is not easy. Often there is a mixture of motives personal and larger (the infidels killed my family). Then is the issue of determining if the person has the mental capacity and sanity to have a cause beyond purely personal.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,885
Location: Boulder CO

07 Nov 2018, 5:45 pm

Complaining about prison gangs that started in the U.S. from a conservative position here is like complaining that they won't teach you Spanish because they're in prison. You're introducing racial bias where none exists according to our laws.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


LuigiGates
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 5 Nov 2018
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
Location: Baltimore, Maryland United States

07 Nov 2018, 6:53 pm

This was clearly an act of terrorism, whether some people on this thread like it or not.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,487
Location: Adelaide, Australia

07 Nov 2018, 7:13 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
What's his mental illness?

He's described as ..

-an odd loner
-he walked with a strange exaggerated gait
-pulled his socks all the way up
He pulled his socks all the way up? He's crazy!


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short