Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:35 pm

I am depressed because my future Looks bleak. I am depressed because i know that i will not achieve anything in my life. My future looks bleak because i dropped out oft school. Because i have no education. My future looks bleak because i would never be able to get a decent job, to make enough money to live independent. And because i am probably not even able to work full time. I will probably bei always an burden in others. The Questio.n ist how do i overcome depression if my life ist so bleak? How can i stop thinking constantly about suicide? I even attempted suicide once. Oft course i was hospitalisized. Because why vorher living, right? I mean i do not have any reason to live. And in the end ist does not matter anyway if i die or not. But if i die i would not have to endure psychological, and physical pain anymore. Because for life is only suffering. Or atleast most of the time. Is it not hopeless if you are autistic anyway? How can i overcome depression if the obstacles are too big? Is life really worth living?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 4:07 pm

Fos11 wrote:
I am depressed because my future Looks bleak.

A diagnosis from a psychiatrist, medication, or counseling might help. It also might hurt or remain the same.

I am depressed because i know that i will not achieve anything in my life.

Unless you are psychic, there is no way for you to know that

My future looks bleak because i dropped out oft school.

"Looks" sometimes deceive. Plenty of people with college degrees are unemployed or underemployed.

Because i have no education. My future looks bleak because i would never be able to get a decent job, to make enough money to live independent. And because i am probably not even able to work full time. I will probably bei always an burden in others.

"Probably"

The Questio.n ist how do i overcome depression if my life ist so bleak?

Meditation

Take it one day at a time

Hobbies

How can i stop thinking constantly about suicide?

Diversion

I even attempted suicide once. Oft course i was hospitalisized. Because why vorher living, right? I mean i do not have any reason to live. And in the end ist does not matter anyway if i die or not. But if i die i would not have to endure psychological, and physical pain anymore. Because for life is only suffering. Or atleast most of the time. Is it not hopeless if you are autistic anyway?

Some autistics are not "hopeless".

How can i overcome depression if the obstacles are too big?

Is life really worth living?

That is totally subjective. Your answer is just as justified as everyone else's

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:00 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Will I ever overcome depression?
[opinion=amateur]

Maybe. If the depression is intrinsic (i.e., some form of clinical depression), than it can be managed. If it is instead extrinsic (caused by external factors like unemployment), then it may be more easily overcome.

[/opinion]

Consult your mental healthcare provider.

terry green
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2018, 12:02 pm

You will overcome depression. Just talking about it like this means that you want to, and if you want to, you will. I have Bipolar disorder and I struggle with depression a whole lot, almost daily. We are old friends, Depression and I. There are a few things I have learned about it, that I will share just three of them with you.

1. Depression is your soul asking you for help. Be gentle with yourself. Listen to your soul to figure out what it is that you need. This could change minute by minute.

2. This one is important: Don't let the world and unrealistic expectations define you. Love yourself. Everything you mentioned (i.e. not getting through school etc.) is someone else's definition of success. Define success for yourself, and redefine it every day. Success for me today is just being able to clean my living room and sit with a cup of tea looking out at the forest outside my window.

3. My daughter's teacher brought her over to her desk the other day and said, "Look at the three diploma's on my wall. I have three degrees, but one diploma you will never see there is a highschool diploma. I never got one - I dropped out of school in grade nine. Then I went back to school at age thirty-nine," she said. "School will always be there." I was impressed by this, as was my daughter, who has Aspergers. Her teacher was right. School will always be there. You haven't missed the boat.

Love and Blessings, Terry

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Nov 2018, 1:29 pm

terry green wrote:
2. This one is important: Don't let the world and unrealistic expectations define you. Love yourself. Everything you mentioned (i.e. not getting through school etc.) is someone else's definition of success. Define success for yourself, and redefine it every day. Success for me today is just being able to clean my living room and sit with a cup of tea looking out at the forest outside my window.
I relate to this. I have LOTS of physical & mental disabilities besides my Autism that make finding & maintaining employment very difficult. I struggled in skewl alot due to learning disabilities & NEVER had any desire to go to college. I fell into a psychotic depression at 20 when my 1st realtionship fell apart. She was dyslexic, had bad ADHD, & some OCD along with other things. I have those issues myself so we really related. We were online best friends before she told me she liked me. I felt like she was the 1st person to really understand & connect with me. Things fell apart for lots of reasons. My parents had been on my back aLOT about me not having a job even thou i was doing my very best to find one. I was going to places every couple months & putting in apps. i basically reached my limit & snapped cuz of all the stress & losing the one person who I really related to.
I was having crying spells every night, BAD mood swings, I would sometimes fell good during the day but then I'd get very depressed as the day went on. I'd have lots of anger problems. I also wasn't sure what was real & what wasn't at times. I started having LOTS of panic attacks worrying about things. & I started putting off things I wanted & needed to do.
I went to my GP & he diagnosed me with bipolar & referred me to a psychiatrist. My diagnoses got changed(it doesn't really matter here & I got a few) & I was put on meds by my GP & latter my psych. The meds helped hold me together I think but I was still very depressed during that time. I tried to work on myself. An employment organization helped me find my 1st job. I joined a support group for people with bipolar disorder, depression, & anxiety. I posted about my issues aLOT online trying to get things out of my system, analyze, sort things out, find sympathy, find others who related & been there & understood, & get advice I could actually use. I also tried alittle bit of counseling. I switched jobs a couple times. I made some friends with people at work & occasionally did something outside of work with them. I was unemployed again after seeing my psych for 5 years but I felt better than I did when I 1st started seeing her. I decided to try & quit seeing her & ween myself off the meds because I felt like the meds weren't really helping in the end but I'm sure they helped hold me together some while I worked on myself. I felt a lot better after getting off the meds than I did the whole time I was on them. I was somewhat of a different person than I was when I started seeing my psych. I kinda learned to accept myself & my issues or at least some of them more than I did before. I was unemployed for years after(still am) but I'm on Social Security Disability now & kinda like the fact that I'm not working a regular job thou i wouldn't mind a part time one where I can still keep my benefits. After a couple years of not seeing my psych. I got in my 2nd relationship & realized I was having some of the same issues as the 1st. I analyzed myself & thought they were due to anxiety. I researched anxiety meds & decided to try one & got my GP to prescribe it for me. My relationship improved alittle bit but she still broke up with me. After the break up I was obsessively worrying about her & things & thought some of it was OCD so I researched OCD meds & got my GP to prescribe one & things got better. I got in my current realtionship shortly after & we've been living together 6 years now. I'm still on those two meds but I've added a couple since then cuz of other issues I've noticed. I don't really feel depressed much & I don't dwell on things too much. I just kinda take things day by day & try to live in the moment.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 12:03 am

"overcome" is a strong word

Yes or no answer

Even if you don't "overcome" depression, maybe you could still cope better

For example I have a diagnosis for depression . When I got it I was 21. Undergrad UCSD, structural engineering

Even though I didn't get that degree or have real friends that were not homophobic, or accomplish anything, I was still functioning better than now

Some depressed people get degrees, have jobs and whatever

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 6:09 am

Fos11 wrote:
I am depressed because my future Looks bleak. I am depressed because i know that i will not achieve anything in my life. My future looks bleak because i dropped out oft school. Because i have no education. My future looks bleak because i would never be able to get a decent job, to make enough money to live independent. And because i am probably not even able to work full time. I will probably bei always an burden in others. The Questio.n ist how do i overcome depression if my life ist so bleak? How can i stop thinking constantly about suicide? I even attempted suicide once. Oft course i was hospitalisized. Because why vorher living, right? I mean i do not have any reason to live. And in the end ist does not matter anyway if i die or not. But if i die i would not have to endure psychological, and physical pain anymore. Because for life is only suffering. Or atleast most of the time. Is it not hopeless if you are autistic anyway? How can i overcome depression if the obstacles are too big? Is life really worth living?

Your future may look bleak from where you are standing, change your perspective. I know, I know. Easier said than done. I attempted suicide four times, suffered with debilitating depression for years, my last attempt resulted in my high school principal carrying me in her arms. That was 17 years ago. Let me tell you, I thought my future was bleak. I through away years of academic success, but you know what? After a decade I am back in school. I now have three sons, my oldest being 16. I also still have my scars.

Do you know what helped me? I decided to make my goal to be a counselor. I want to help others walking through the darkness. It gives some meaning to it all. Don't EVER think what you have went through is for nothing, it is for something. You may not see it now, but it will emerge in time.

Your ability to even put into words how you are feeling may have a huge impact on someone else. Your future doesn't have to be bleak, you can be you and take control of these things.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 1:27 pm

The future IS bleak, not for you alone but for humanity in general. This isn't a reason for depression but actually provides a purpose in life. The only way you'll ever escape depression is by taking an interest in things outside of or people other than - yourself; self-absorption is the very definition of depression, or certainly an essential ingredient in it.

How can you wonder your travels do you no good, when you carry yourself around with you? Socrates

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 9:13 am

Maybe start with going back to school???