Is it bad to quit my job without another one lined up?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 8:54 pm

I really hate my job, and I have talked about the bad working conditions before in this other thread:

viewtopic.php?t=360994

The problem has also caused hostility between workers, and it's working in a cold freezer/fridge environment in the winter time now as well

So I can't stand the bathroom condition or the temperatures anymore and feel like I am going to snap and just want to quit so bad. But is it bad to quit without having another job lined up yet, even though I'm looking? On the other hand though, I don't know how much more I can take.

What do you think?

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2018, 10:53 pm

Can you afford to not work?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 12:01 am

Technically yes. I was planning on making a feature film since I want to get into that career, which I talked about in another thread.

Not that me quitting has anything to do with that, I am actually quitting cause I feel like I am going to just snap and run out of there soon if I don't. But I could afford not to work for a while at least if I had to.

Lil_miss_lois

06 Nov 2018, 12:24 am

Then do it. You've got to look after your mental health. :)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:14 pm

Okay thanks, but a part of me feels like maybe I am being a wiener about it, cause how do other people keep their jobs which they hate and keep going, no problem, and still have their mental health enough to stay?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:26 pm

I've quit jobs before where I didn't have another lined up. Granted, that was when I was single and didn't have dependents, but still the jobs were bad enough that I decided it was better for me to just quit rather than languish.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:29 pm

In my scenario, I don't have another job lined up and didn't have much opportunity to follow through on my college education with limited budget to go back to school. I have also repeatedly been passed over for promotion many times now. I also work in a unionized place and ultimately decided to take on the task of being a union steward to help develop new skills. I am also considering running for the open labour management position to also help pad the resume and to gain some more experience. Ultimately, if you can't get promoted, volunteer for a position in the company if an application isn't required. Then leave once the right opportunity comes along. I also have many grievances in the system. So i do stand to make quite a bit if money if the grievances are successful.

I would say it is best to line up your next job before leaving. And find the opportunities to learn something new or expand your skillset on your way out if there are any. I would also see about taking stress leave if at all possible as well and visit your doctor if you go down that road.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 5:56 pm

Okay thanks, but I've only been working there for like 8 months so not sure if that is long enough for stress leave.

As for having another job lined up, I have been trying but it's tough. Most places only want to do interviews between 9-5 which is when I work and I can't keep taking sick days off whenever other places want to do interviews. And when new places want me to start, they always want me to start sooner than two weeks, and I can't leave my current job with giving a two week notice therefore.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2018, 10:44 am

I quit my 2nd job without having another lined up & without giving them notice. An assistant manger ordered me to do something & ignore all orders that didn't come from her. The head manger had me paged to do something but she didn't make the page herself so I ignored it like I was supposed to & I got chewed out for it without having a chance to explain. My department had been very shorthanded & I've been working alot of overtime to help out(close to 60 hours a week) & we had a contract crew assisting us that kept screwing up. Shortly after I left, the people left in the department were dissolved into others & the contract crew took over. I would of had problems working in another department so I feel I was kind of forced out. I just couldn't handle the stress anymore. I was on SSI at the time thou I hadn't been eligible to receive any for months because my income was too high cuz of all the overtime. My SSI payments started again a while after I quit & I was living with my parents so not having a job wasn't the end of the world for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 10:56 am

It depends. Is it hard for you to get jobs? Sometimes it is obvious why jobs are hard to get. Very young (no experience) and very old people can often find it difficult to find jobs. Zero social skills can also be a factor.,

The economy where you work is the biggest factor. If a big factory closes down where you want to work there may be no jobs. If a big factory starts up there may be too many jobs and not enough people to fill them.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 5:04 pm

I would say it's hard cause almost every job wants me to have a certain education on something, that I am just missing, it seems.

Piledriven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2018, 12:50 pm

I have quit 2 jobs, one due to sheer burnout with no possibility of upward movement, and the other after finally realizing the work was not a good fit for my abilities. I did learn I cannot work at a fast pace, otherwise, I tense up and make mistakes.

On both occasions, I had absolutely nothing lined up. But I have no regrets. The stress was slowly killing me.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 4:07 am

Well my job has been causing me stress and a insomnia since I started. I was told by a couple of friends that I should be taking anti-depressants maybe so I can get sleep and handle being at the job better, but do you think that anti-depressants are the way to go besides just quitting?

Or if anti-depressants will work, maybe that's better cause at least I am making money, but feeling better about it, and sleeping while making money therefore?