Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:08 pm

I'm a bit surprised with the results, although I've read this website tends to overestimate Scandinavian and Jewish ancestry. I uploaded it to other servers and they break this Scandinavian into a Baltic part too. I heard 23andme is better but it isn't possible to use it on Brazil. Did anyone ever take those kind of test?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:20 pm

I've been tempted to try something like 23 and Me, because I don't really know the ancestry of my dad's side of the family...but I don't know what good that information would really do me =)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:23 pm

I've done some of the more narrow ones, but not a general one like this. I think they're all interesting. I don't think the notion of exact percentages from different "groups" is necessarily accurate, but the picture they gave you is probably about what one would expect for someone or European ancestry from Brazil.

Does the part from the Americas represent native populations as far as you know, or is that also a European portion?

There Are Four Lights!

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:36 pm

They have a classification for "pure" Native American as well Amazonian Indigenous people, which I didn't scored. This category of Central America is described as mixed of Spanish and Indigenous people.

I got surprised I didn't scored anything for Italian – my grandmother was born in Trieste, so maybe she had Slovenian origin instead of italian? I wanted to be italian :D :D

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:38 pm

Also, almost 9% of Ashkenazi jew sounds a lot to be just a mistake of the site (was I believe the nigerian % is), and the result was consistent when I tried on another website.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:45 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
Also, almost 9% of Ashkenazi jew sounds a lot to be just a mistake of the site (was I believe the nigerian % is), and the result was consistent when I tried on another website.

I've gotten the impression that the test is set up so that pretty much everybody comes out as something like 5% Jewish and 3% American Indian (even Elizabeth Warren). :D

There Are Four Lights!

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm

I really wanted to know more about my ancestors but nobody from my family seems very interested and there isn't much data.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 10:21 pm

I basically already know mine - half Norwegian & probably a bit of Swede also, 1/4 mostly German & 1/4 Anglo-American something-rather.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 10:28 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I really wanted to know more about my ancestors but nobody from my family seems very interested and there isn't much data.

Here's a standard chart:
http://misbach.org/download/pedigree_chart.pdf

Fill it in as far back as you can and then give copies to other relatives to see if they can fill in any gaps. The DNA data won't help with it, but this is a good way to start with the historically documented people.

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:28 am

The data can be used to track you down. Remember that wild party when you woke up the next morning in bed with a strange woman? Well, surprise, daddy! A child was born about 9 months later, and he or she looks exactly like you!

It can also be used to track down a relative through you -- a relative who may have committed a heinous crime 20 years ago, and who has kept it hidden from everyone until now.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 10:27 am

I know for sure that I am of German and Italian descent. My aunt did a DNA study and uncovered some Greek ancestry. That could explain my strong interest in that part of the world.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 12:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
The data can be used to track you down. Remember that wild party when you woke up the next morning in bed with a strange woman? Well, surprise, daddy! A child was born about 9 months later, and he or she looks exactly like you!

It can also be used to track down a relative through you -- a relative who may have committed a heinous crime 20 years ago, and who has kept it hidden from everyone until now.

the site indicates me some people as close matching, but they only find two who could be 3rd relatives (an old woman in Canada, who also has the same surname as my grandmother, and a guy in Brazil) and other more distant people.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 1:10 pm

I bought a test set as well, because there are certain "things" I can´t find through normal registres (church protocols). I grew up with the story, that part of my fathers family were ashkenazi. It was a big thing round the family table.... but I can´t find anything registered. A small portion of ashkenazi dna will convince me. Otherwise, I have cracked yet another family myth :D

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2018, 1:13 pm

I always wanted to do this but don't like the idea of some random company having my DNA. Or worse, the government.
Do you need to provide them your personal information?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm

Deemar wrote:
... Do you need to provide them your personal information?
Yes. Name, address, billing information ... those sorts of things. How else will they know whom to bill and where to ship or email the results?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 6:00 pm

Deemar wrote:
I always wanted to do this but don't like the idea of some random company having my DNA. Or worse, the government.

Ditto =/

Also, it's kind of expensive. At least 23 and Me is.