Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 1:07 am

What kind of cartoon is Anime?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 1:36 am

Other than Japanese I don't know what else you want to know.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 4:47 am

Actually, this is a more open ended question than some common specification can allow. Historically it has been cartoon made by the Japanese, maybe with even further limiter of made for Japanese audience, but this has shifted a little. Japanese creators made some anime for more Western audiences, and there are a number of cartoons that are not made for Japanese audiences, that have started to be counted. There are the Japanese and Chinese co-productions, which may have even been mostly made by the Chinese, which generally have terrible reputation of often being terrible, although not exclusively, as A Centaur's Life was produced by such a Chinese company off of a Japanese manga, and was good and anyone would probably call it an anime.

Greater distinction for discussion have been questions of pretty much fully Western creations, possibly being called anime, with the likes of Avatar, and RWBY. Here is a video by Mother's Basement, where he made some assertion that Avatar should be considered an anime, and strict classification should be altered.

Crunchyroll, which licences anime for streaming, has before released RWBY straight up calling it an anime, despite it being produced entirely by Rooster Teeth. Thunderbolt Fantasy has also received such treatment, where although it is written and received music by figures who are a big part of Japanese anime, it is animated entirely via Taiwanese puppet show creators. I have seen some anime made entirely via rotoscoping, or an episode, I saw one anime episode made entirely by the voice actresses dubbing over footage of goats (it was weird).

A top anime of mine pretty much looks like it is made in flash, with many voices being informally done by staff (Inferno Cop). So what is and isn't anime, is really a tough question, and different people may at times say it is the general geography, an art style, sensibility, or many other things. In my experience, anime has often been something made by the Japanese, but occasionally just something different.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 12:52 am

I was just wondering because in anime, animation is as diverse as anything western.