An older autistics way of dealing with diificuties

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 2:12 am

Autistic people should be valued for their strengths in the workplace

Quote:
ust 16 percent of adults with autism are in full-time paid employment, and this situation is not improving. The Economist has described this as “a tragic toll, as millions of people live idle and isolated outside the world of work.”
theConversation-logo

When people with autism do get a job, they face bullying, discrimination and isolation in the workplace.

I know the harsh reality from personal experience. Who better to research and write about productivity and employment outcomes than someone who has experienced autism and 40 years of competitive employment?

At school I was called ‘ret*d,’ ‘crazy horse’ and other stupid names. Even worse, I was expelled eight times. Teachers did not understand that I could not identify nonverbal cues to behavior. That I needed to move and to run to cope. That I spoke loudly and was perfectly clear about my perspective with teachers and peers but could not reciprocate appropriately in school interactions.

I found school tasks based on rote learning very challenging. I had difficulty processing sound information. I could concentrate for long periods on tasks of interest to me but was unable to respond to teacher cues about where to direct my attention. I was punished repeatedly without really knowing why.

But my mother never gave up on me. Time after time she found another school so I could continue my education. Thank you, Mum. You are the greatest.

These school expulsions traumatized me so much that I vowed never to let a workplace terminate me. When a job was not working out, I quit and found another — 28 times in 27 years.

Then, at age 47, I found a job I held for 15 years, until I retired.

Congratulations to him but I wonder how he was able to keep get employers to hire him after quitting so many jobs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 11:18 am

I have a friend who is also on the spectrum like myself who is 43 and he managed to hold down a job as a software engineer for 2 years, which is good. The bad news is despite his work quality, his employers decided to terminate him because of his communication issues. He said they called him into the office and were very sneaky about firing him. He said that they just talked to him about needing to work on them which he thought they would help him with. Then told my friend he was being let go.

He is highly skilled and talented and has been depressed but is trying to start his own business in the meantime though he is depressed. Luckily, he has lots of options in networks which could get him into a different job where they are more understanding.

Anyway, you can't even mention that you are autistic to people in a work setting without them
1. Asking you all kinds of questions about what kinds of services you get
2. It doesn't matter what skills you have, you're a job with a disability and suddenly you are talked down to

On the other hand, if you keep your mot