Trump's Foxconn plant may import workers at taxpayer expense

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:23 am

Trump’s much-ballyhooed Wisconsin Foxconn plant may import Chinese workers for taxpayer-funded jobs

Quote:
A Wisconsin tech plant which has been hailed by President Donald Trump as a major step forward for American manufacturing is looking to bring in Chinese workers to staff the plant, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Foxconn Technology is a key supplier to Apple, and is opening a large new plant in the Midwest. The plant has been heavily subsidized with $3 billion in American tax dollars, potentially up to one million dollars per job.

But with a tight market for qualified American workers, Foxconn is “trying to tap Chinese engineers through internal transfers to supplement staffing.”

“It’s very difficult to find skilled labor in our market,” said a staffing agency near the plant. “All the technical schools and local universities are gearing up their programs, but I still think Foxconn is going to fall short in terms of finding the people they need.”

The company’s plan is to bring in Chinese workers.

The big problem the company is facing? Chinese workers don’t want to move to Wisconsin.

“One engineer who declined to give his name said he wouldn’t want to move to a place he worried could be as cold as Harbin, a northern Chinese city known as ‘Ice City,’” reports the Wall Street Journal.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:30 am

Heck, I would move to Wisconsin! I still have friends and relatives around Madison, and I'm familiar with the territory.

Oh?

Howzatt?

Too old? Too expensive? Overqualified? Can't be dismissed and deported if business slows down?

Only in America... :roll: