The Midterms Were A Huge Defeat For Trump

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 2:23 pm

Don’t Let Your Expectations Fool You, The Midterms Were A Huge Defeat For Trump

Quote:
In the two years leading up to Tuesday’s midterm elections, progressives from all over the country activated like never before, captivated one another’s imaginations and inspired each other to think big in taking on President Donald Trump and his hateful, racist, authoritarian agenda.

A downside to that ― if it can even be called that ― is that expectations ran sky-high as Election Day approached. Democrats expanded the playing field massively, and we wanted to win big everywhere. More than that, some potential victories became larger than life, only to evaporate before our eyes.

In particular, some of the people who inspired us the most ― Andrew Gillum in Florida, Beto O’Rourke in Texas ― were narrowly defeated. And we saw that Trump’s blatant use of racism, fear, lies and distortions still has great utility in America’s reddest places.

But we can’t let these deeply disappointing losses allow Trump or anyone else to distort the truth about this major win: Trump has been rebuked and will be restrained. Democrats accomplished what they set out to do by flipping the House of Representatives. A clear majority of voters has saved American democracy from falling into the abyss, at least for now, by providing a check on Trump.

Imagine what we’d be saying today if Democrats had lost the House. Just ponder where the country would be headed. Imagine how Trump would be crowing if the situation was reversed and the GOP won the House, even if Democrats stopped the GOP from expanding the Senate, and even if we won the Florida’s governor’s race?

No matter what happened, Trump would call it a win. But he must know that this outcome means his presidency is now completely different.

After the 2016 election, the primary goal for progressives and Democrats became winning the House. Even that, in those early days, was seen as a daunting and perhaps unrealistic task, in no small part because of rampant gerrymandering that had created a congressional map incredibly friendly to Republicans.

At the time, Trump and some in the GOP were thinking they might even win 60 seats in the Senate, because of the poor map for Democrats in 2018. The GOP thought it could grab every red state on the map, including those states that Trump flipped in 2016: Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

In the end, all of those states’ Senate races stayed safely Democratic, and Democrats took the governorship in three of the four, flipping two of them. Scott Walker’s defeat in Wisconsin is a major prize. The flipping of Kansas’ governor’s seat, defeating voter suppression villain Kris Kobach, seemed unlikely at the start of the cycle. Flips in the Nevada and Maine governors’ seats are an important boost as well.

Not only did Democrats win the House by flipping 30-plus seats, they did it with record numbers of women (over 100!) and people of color winning those seats. And taking the House in that way is a massive repudiation of Trumpism and its racist, sexist underpinnings...

This is just the beginning. Trump is already running scared, warning Democrats against investigations and making empty threats. Democrats, empowered with progressive new faces, will push forward...

It won’t just be about investigations, but about passing legislation protecting Americans from Trump’s excesses and brutality. Those bills will show America what can done to stand up to the threat of Trump ― even if, as expected, the Senate takes up none of that legislation.

Tuesday’s wave was the first step in ending the nightmare of Trump as president. Democrats in the House and in statehouses across the country are now well positioned to set the party up for 2020, when, if we continue, we’ll win again.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 2:45 pm

There, there Democrat ...

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 3:01 pm

But for the rest of us, it's simply rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 3:10 pm

So even Democrats that got defeated were a loss for Trump.... Not sure how anyone could lose to Ted Cruz. What happened to the blue wave?

In reality it was a bit of a deadlock and will just be two years of childish bickering.

What happened was pretty much just the norm for the midterms. Why do some of the media try to spin it with hysterical propaganda?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 3:12 pm

You may need to live in Texas for a while to understand why Ted Cruz won. I would understand the Middle East better if I lived there for a while.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 3:56 pm

BTDT wrote:
You may need to live in Texas for a while to understand why Ted Cruz won. I would understand the Middle East better if I lived there for a while.

I do understand. If the left wasn't now the champion of mass immigration and multiculturalism and just focused on the working class they could beat psychopaths like Cruz, even in Texas.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 4:13 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Why do some of the media try to spin it with hysterical propaganda?

Synonym: Media/hysterical propaganda

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:14 am

:heart:

JohnPowell wrote:
What happened to the blue wave?

America is more racist than we hoped.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:16 am

What in heaven's name is wrong with Multiculturalism, anyway? I don't get the antipathy people have for cultures others than their own.

If I lived with a bunch of other white, Jewish folks exclusively, I'd be bored out of my mind.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 8:26 am

i don't see it that way.

a victory in 2020 if he decides to run again seems pretty likely to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:33 am

If he would have ran in 2018, I would probably agree with you.

Let's see what happens over these next two years.

Frankly, Trump has the tendency to just get hysterical when things don't go his way. I feel like people will tire of his act. They want stability in their lives. Trump doesn't provide that stability.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 10:48 am

the economy will be the biggest deciding factor. many people are willing to overlook the annoying orange's drama and outbursts if it means they at least have stable jobs and otherwise live comfortably.

as for a democrat victory in 2020, it's still too early to tell but IMO it's not going to be very likely unless the media stops focusing on trump and starts pushing one of their own guys and really get the blue message out.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 11:04 am

Dems can win if they can unite behind a really great candidate, completely opposite to Hillary in every respect and who can stand up to Trump.

Bernie will probably be too old by 2020.

I don't have a wide knowledge of the various potential contenders but there must be someone...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 11:25 am

i think biden said he'd be willing to run, but he's pretty ancient himself. the important thing is that the candidate carve out a distinct identity and platform for themselves that goes beyond merely being a counter to trump (can it hold up in a vacuum?)

trump took advantage of the public's short attention span and differentiated himself by using sound bites, catchphrases and memes and his opponent would do good by taking a similar approach - while hopefully being less outwardly vile.

whoever he/she is, they'd better start putting themselves out there soon.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
:heart:

JohnPowell wrote:
What happened to the blue wave?

America is more racist than we hoped.

More like America is more fed up than you realise. People are sick of being called racist by the left at every opportunity. Just calling people racist won't win elections.