US: Democrats choose their leadership based on one metric

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 6:58 am

Apparently, Democrats in the House and Senate choose their leadership based on a single metric: Who brings home the most dough. That is, those who can raise the most money are the ones selected for leadership roles. Other issues, like policy, ability to pass legislation, leadership abilities, ability to turn out voters (beyond winning your own election), etc., are irrelevant. Whoever is best at schmoozing up to big corporations and wealthy donors to donate big bucks gets to be leader.

This is something Cenk Uygur has been talking about for a while, and he gives this as a major reason why Democrats are often so weak and ineffectual, even when they controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency back in 2009-2011:

As Cenk says of the Democrats, "Their only metric for success is unfortunately one built on corruption."

Now, Nancy Pelosi, who is most likely to become Speaker of the House, and is current House Minority Leader due to her being the biggest fundraiser, is talking about working with Trump on his priorities, instead of resisting him. And the Trump Administration is talking about how the Democrats had better work with Trump, and not do any investigations, because that would constitute a "warlike posture". I have that sinking feeling that the Democrats are going to end up caving again.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:49 am

Here's another recent video about it ...

"Democrats’ Lack Of Agenda Painfully Apparent"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 12:08 pm

I think you'll like this

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

Whatever. The GOP gave up many of their public policies with Trump. You no longer get to talk about principles.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:27 pm

AspE wrote:
Whatever. The GOP gave up many of their public policies with Trump. You no longer get to talk about principles.

Not sure if you're talking to me, so let me preempt you. I am a Democrat, a Justice Democrat to be exact, and I want universal health care and for us to fight climate change. It's going to be a lot harder to get our party to do that if it continues to emphasize sucking up to big donors who have a vested interest in us receiving neither.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:37 pm

beneficii wrote:
Apparently, Democrats in the House and Senate choose their leadership based on a single metric: Who brings home the most dough. That is, those who can raise the most money are the ones selected for leadership roles. Other issues, like policy, ability to pass legislation, leadership abilities, ability to turn out voters (beyond winning your own election), etc., are irrelevant. Whoever is best at schmoozing up to big corporations and wealthy donors to donate big bucks gets to be leader.

This is something Cenk Uygur has been talking about for a while, and he gives this as a major reason why Democrats are often so weak and ineffectual, even when they controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency back in 2009-2011:

As Cenk says of the Democrats, "Their only metric for success is unfortunately one built on corruption."

Now, Nancy Pelosi, who is most likely to become Speaker of the House, and is current House Minority Leader due to her being the biggest fundraiser, is talking about working with Trump on his priorities, instead of resisting him. And the Trump Administration is talking about how the Democrats had better work with Trump, and not do any investigations, because that would constitute a "warlike posture". I have that sinking feeling that the Democrats are going to end up caving again.

What is the source of this claim?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:00 pm

beneficii wrote:
AspE wrote:

Not sure if you're talking to me, so let me preempt you. I am a Democrat, a Justice Democrat to be exact, and I want universal health care and for us to fight climate change. It's going to be a lot harder to get our party to do that if it continues to emphasize sucking up to big donors who have a vested interest in us receiving neither.

Pelosi is rated 100% by The American Public Health Association (APHA).

And

Nancy Pelosi plans to push for revival of climate change committee in new Congress

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 1:20 am

Chronos wrote:
beneficii wrote:

What is the source of this claim?

They provide their sources in the video.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 1:37 am

AspE wrote:
beneficii wrote:
AspE wrote:

Pelosi is rated 100% by The American Public Health Association (APHA).

And

Nancy Pelosi plans to push for revival of climate change committee in new Congress

I'm not saying her heart isn't in the right place, but due to her fundraising efforts, she spends a lot of time talking to wealthy donors and big corporations; further, she is quite wealthy herself. So she has no clue how to communicate with the average American, and as such has become very unpopular across the country, because the Republicans--who do know how to communicate with the average American--have been able to take advantage of her cluelessness. Pelosi, across much of the country, is actually deeply unpopular:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244658/dem ... 520Speaker

And a lot of Democratic candidates this cycle made it a point to distance themselves from her:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... eakership/

Remember, when we passed Obamacare, and the GOP went on a massive public relations offensive to smear it? Remember how the GOP was largely successful and was able to pull out massive victories in Congress in the aftermath? The reason is because Democrats SUCK when it comes to messaging, and having leaders like Pelosi hurts us, because they are clueless--they have no counter to the attacks by Republicans. And remember, Pelosi was Speaker when we passed Obamacare. When we try to improve on Obamacare next time around, how can you be sure we're not going to run into the same problem?

Choosing our leaders based on who is the best fundraiser is hurting us, because that means we choose people who are the most closely connected to the wealthy, and who thus will come off as "elitist" and be entirely clueless.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 12:18 pm

She's a fraud. She won't even talk about Medicare for all. If Democrats rely on people like her Trump will win again in 2020. So.e people just care about winning and have no principles.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 1:34 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
I think you'll like this

As always, Jimmy brings the truth.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 1:59 pm

Always 8)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 4:48 pm

There's no hope for these "progressives", every spare dollar must go to the US war machine. :(

... but Jimmy's show is fun to watch. :P

Costs for our new branch of military ....SPACE FORCE