People moving away from me when I sit?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MarryKate
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2018, 8:37 am

I’m in college, I recently noticed that people move away from me when I sit. I don’t understand what I did wrong.

People kind of look at me funny too. The same look I got during high school, like I’m a weirdo a freak.

I don’t know if I’m projecting I just want people to like me but I don’t know how

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 8:47 am

Is your hygiene okay?
I knew a guy who genuinely wasn't aware that he stank. He even showered daily but he rarely made any laundry and often left it in his washing machine for way too long.
There may be also lots and lots of other factors an Aspie can be unaware of. Like clothing. Hairstyle. Body hair. Movements, tics. Or simply not reacting the way people expect you to react. Or, if nothing else, this nasty crowd psychology, no one likes you because no one likes you :( Been there :( :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Last edited by magz on 08 Nov 2018, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:49 am

When Magz wrote "ticks," she meant "tics," not the insects.

I used to get that in high school, too.

And I showered daily, and my clothes were almost always clean.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2018, 8:50 am

Thanks, Kraftie :heart: Corrected :)

I got that in middle-school age, they just didn't accept me being different back then. I was lucky to be able to choose a small, nerdy high school where everyone was different, so it didn't continue later.
I coped with it by spending all my free time reading, not being there mentally.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 10:29 am

I was going to ask about hygiene also. I've worked with people I couldn't stand to be in the same room with.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 10:02 pm

Sometimes they did that in response to me

But usually they ignored me

As an autistic, sitting alone is not that bad

If you do not want to sit alone, you could wait until just before class and then sit

:mrgreen:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 10:55 pm

I felt bad for a girl in high school. She had a condition where her body odor was other worldly it was so severe. She would literally stink up the classroom and people didn't hide their disgust. It smelled like B.O., but it was more than that. I forget the name of the condition. I assume you don't have an issue like that or you would know it.

I'm convinced I give off a "vibe" since I can be personable for short periods, polite, etc, but people don't seem to want to want to engage much in regular repeat conversations.

Maybe you give off a "vibe"?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 3:25 pm

how or why is that a problem?

lylamorris
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2018, 5:11 am

Don't worry if they don't want to sit with you. I understand being alone is difficult but there are two ways.
1) Go and ask them why they are behaving with you like this if someone answered then improve it and you'll become a friend.
2) Another thing if you don't find any answer or they are just teasing you then don't just be smart and do your own work and perform well in your studies or other activities and then they come to you for friendship.
If it is about hygiene then you can improve it, but if not then just learn to be happy in yourself only.