Poll runs till 22 Nov 2018, 9:53 am
Yes 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 9:53 am

Hi, I talked to someone who drives lyft that lives in my neighborhood told me that he dislikes driving and told me that it's better to catch the bus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 9:55 am

I can't tell.

Maybe he dislikes driving because he drives so much.....

Perhaps it's better to take the bus because it costs less, and you don't have to scrounge around to find a parking space.

I didn't answer the survey question....because I really don't know.

quite an extreme
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

I totally like driving. It's fun and a kind of independence that I don't want to miss. I hate busses and railways. In my car I have good music and air conditioning and no trouble with the luggage. I also like to drive fast if possible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm

I have a half-hour commute if I drive to work; 1 1/2 hours (one way) via public transportation (if the trains are running decently).

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 8:36 pm

If I bring music and there's no traffic, yes.

Otherwise, no. Too many lights, too much fast motion. It can be very taxing to try to tune out what's happening and to stay focused.

Blue_Star
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2018, 9:51 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi, I talked to someone who drives lyft that lives in my neighborhood told me that he dislikes driving and told me that it's better to catch the bus.

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Do you think this was discouragement

I'm not sure what you think he's trying to discourage you from. Driving yourself? Driving others? Driving others for pay? Driving others as a contract worker instead of an actual employee with benefits? Riding with others? Riding with a paid driver like Uber/Lyft/etc.?

Also, why do you think he's discouraging you instead of just having a conversation or venting?

I enjoy driving, and I tend to be the one that drives my friends when we go out. I won't use Uber/Lyft/etc., but I don't have problems overall with taxis.

Driving is freeing & allows me to not have to depend on others. My grandma never got her license. It's the thing she regretted most in life.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 7:39 am

Like quiteanextreme, I love driving and the independence it gives me. I love being able to go to social activities in line with my interests. Sometimes the traffic can get crazy where I live and I get nervous about getting into an accident, but I would never stop going out because of that.

wrongcitizen
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2018, 11:44 pm

I'm confused by the poll questions. Personally I like anything that gives me greater independence so I can further lessen the impact of manipulation by others, even if I have to put a lot of effort into it and it stresses me out.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 1:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a half-hour commute if I drive to work; 1 1/2 hours (one way) via public transportation (if the trains are running decently).

Toronto has excellent transit, but when I had a commute that took an hour out to the airport area, using a bicycle saved eight minutes on average.
Overall, I "enjoy" driving, and drove taxi for a few years. I had a few long-haul epics, and some dramas of happy resolution. Now, I am very fussy about combining trips, etc. to conserve oil. I buy my insurance for short terms, and leave it off as long as possible.