Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Kythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2018, 6:22 pm

I'm extremely upset right now. Over a year and a half ago I inquired about getting on this thing in my state called an Adult Autism Waiver which is supposed to provide additional services beyond what I'm getting with normal medical assistance. I was told that it would be at least a three year wait just to get the application and only then would the actual application process start. I was horrified to hear that because I've been in such bad shape and I didn't think I could wait that long when I can't seem to find a therapist that's equipped to deal with my issues(including my current one who claimed he had a lot of experience working with autistic patients).

I let them put my name down, but I started looking into other options to hopefully try to get some help in the mean time. I applied for and was granted a different waiver that's not as specialized. I've been on the waiver for over a year, but due to various delays that I don't go into, I've really only just started receiving some services very recently and don't know yet how effective they will be. So at this point I have no idea how much this waiver is actually going to be able to help me in the long run.

Then I got a letter today saying that because I'm receiving services elsewhere I've been bumped from priority 1 on the Adult Autism Waiver waitlist to priority 2. No one from priority 2 will get an application for the waiver until everyone on priority 1 has gotten one. And I'm not sure, but I think people from priority 1 that got on the waitlist after I did will have priority over me? If it really works like that in priority 1 has to be completely empty before priority 2s can get applications, it's probably a virtual impossibility that I'll ever get one now.

This is a catch 22. I should not have to forgo getting some help for years in order to be able to eventually get the right help. I'm going to try talking to my service coordinator about this tomorrow, but I don't think appealing this will do any good. I doubt they'll make an exception to this policy just because the waiver I'm on might not be the best fit for my needs. So basically, I'm probably screwed out of my chance of ever getting better help.