Smiling as a baby/toddler-Is that proof not on spectrum ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,667
Location: Calne,England

08 Nov 2018, 7:37 pm

Is smiling as a baby/toddler a big no no for being on the spectrum ? Got photos of me smiling.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,566
Location: Stendec

08 Nov 2018, 7:55 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Smiling as a baby/toddler -- Is that proof not on spectrum?
No.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,239
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2018, 7:58 pm

Go on any Vlog of autistic young children. Frequently, they are really very gleeful and silly--like NT children.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

08 Nov 2018, 8:25 pm

Who told you THAT nonsense?

I laughed and smiled a lot in baby pics.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,667
Location: Calne,England

08 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Who told you THAT nonsense?

I laughed and smiled a lot in baby pics.



Even when held?


http://www.mychildwithoutlimits.org/und ... diagnosed/

See first paragraph.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,239
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2018, 8:37 pm

Autistic kids usually don't like to be held-----but, sometimes, they do.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

08 Nov 2018, 8:42 pm

Theyre probably talking about hard core low functioning autistics in that article. Not aspies so much.

Mom and dad talked about sis and my behavior as babies. Never mentioned me "going limp" when being held.

She did mention things like fascination with spinning things. And if I was being carried over her shoulder I would take an interest in the door behind her and start trying to slam it with my baby arms. Things like that. Might be a bit autistic, or not.

But I was baby so I don't remember how I acted. Mom and dad aren't around anymore to testify.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,347
Location: South-East England

08 Nov 2018, 8:48 pm

I was a very sociable baby, and I have photos and videos to prove it (plus my parents say I was a happy, cuddly baby). I made eye contact naturally too.
I have a video with me in at 8 months old, and I seemed rather contented. My dad picked me up and I could see me smiling and waving my arms and I gave out a happy gurgle.

It's sites like the link the OP posted that makes me think I was misdiagnosed. It's so frustrating to live a life not knowing who I really am.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,347
Location: South-East England

08 Nov 2018, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Theyre probably talking about hard core low functioning autistics in that article. Not aspies so much.


But I keep hearing on this forum that functioning labels don't exist any more and that autism is autism with no grey areas.

Ahh, confusion!! !


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,239
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2018, 8:52 pm

There are many "levels of functioning" within the monolithic entity known as "autism."



sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 16 Mar 2014
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Posts: 183
Location: Ohio, USA

08 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

I smiled and laughed as a baby and toddler. I've always been very tender-headed and disliked tags/seams in clothes touching me but I liked being hugged/held. Still love hugs!



Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,725
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

09 Nov 2018, 5:41 am

I'd laugh if it's the case.


I'm very sure I was the kind of little girl who likes being held, likes being hugged, practically likes being touched. I have a lot of early childhood memories being a sensory seeker.

Especially involving touch. Many would vouch that I was very affectionate child. That's probably where I learnt parts of internalizing positive stuff. And probably why some feeling made sense to me by simply remembering feelings and sensations that I never had words for.

Like so many ideal fulfillments throughout my childhood, it doesn't "prevent" me from becoming 'more' autistic. More like it prevented me from earlier diagnosis.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,348
Location: temperate zone

09 Nov 2018, 5:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Theyre probably talking about hard core low functioning autistics in that article. Not aspies so much.


But I keep hearing on this forum that functioning labels don't exist any more and that autism is autism with no grey areas.

Ahh, confusion!! !


I assume that this is a sarcastic dig at all of the folks on WP who claim...that "there are no funcitioning levels", and that "all autism is the same". You cant possible be being serious. :lol:



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,347
Location: South-East England

09 Nov 2018, 6:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Theyre probably talking about hard core low functioning autistics in that article. Not aspies so much.


But I keep hearing on this forum that functioning labels don't exist any more and that autism is autism with no grey areas.

Ahh, confusion!! !


I assume that this is a sarcastic dig at all of the folks on WP who claim...that "there are no funcitioning levels", and that "all autism is the same". You cant possible be being serious. :lol:


Yes it is quite sarcastic. I agree with you, there IS such a thing as LFA, HFA, MFA, but it seems to have become a debatable thing these days and many people on the spectrum think that autism is so diverse that functioning labels shouldn't exist.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

09 Nov 2018, 7:32 am

I was a happy and sociable little girl until I started school. My parents said that I laughed and smiled and was a happy baby.



AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 439
Location: United States

09 Nov 2018, 10:05 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Theyre probably talking about hard core low functioning autistics in that article. Not aspies so much.


But I keep hearing on this forum that functioning labels don't exist any more and that autism is autism with no grey areas.

Ahh, confusion!! !


I assume that this is a sarcastic dig at all of the folks on WP who claim...that "there are no funcitioning levels", and that "all autism is the same". You cant possible be being serious. :lol:


Yes it is quite sarcastic. I agree with you, there IS such a thing as LFA, HFA, MFA, but it seems to have become a debatable thing these days and many people on the spectrum think that autism is so diverse that functioning labels shouldn't exist.


I once had a support group call me out for using the term "high functioning autistic" to describe myself, because it's "offensive" to suggest that any form of autism is mild - and these people were far more high functioning than I and self-diagnosed besides!


_________________
I have not the kind affections of a pigeon. - Ralph Waldo Emerson