Am I the only one who finds weddings boring as heck?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 10:42 pm

My friend's getting married on Sunday. It's going to be torture. To make matters worse, I'm in the wedding party. Usually when people get married, I can just show up to support them for however long their dull ceremony is, and take off and enjoy the rest of my day after get out of those awful dress clothes. Not so for those of us in the wedding party. I hate dressing up, and long social gatherings with no excitement. At least no one died this time, but I'm still in for an awful day.

To make matters worse, I will have to stand on a stage for an undetermined amount of time while a dull ceremony unfolds and not move. Ugh. Everyone I talk to is under the impression that I'm in for a great time. Am I missing something? Of course I'll go to support my friend, but it's going to be a lot of awfulness. Worse yet I have to miss my weekly volunteering that I love for a boring rehearsal dinner that I also have to dress up for. Here's hoping the food is excellent at least. Any tips on how to make this weekend not awful? All I can say is good thing I don't currently have a female in my life if that would entail even more commitment along these lines.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Nov 2018, 8:39 am

I'm not into weddings either. I think wedding ceremonies are usually more appealing to women than guys & are even more appealing to the couple getting married & their immediate family. I can totally get why you wouldn't want to go. Plus weddings made me depressed when I was single & lonely. The only thing I find really appealing about a wedding is the idea of me getting married. I'd much rather elope thou than do the ceremony thing.
How was it Tross :?: I hope you didn't have a completely awful time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

Yeah, I find weddings boring as well. The thing is I've been to so many now and they're all the same.

The one I enjoyed most was my sibling's. They are a quirky couple and it was a little different. Even the friend whom they asked to do the wedding talk added a few good quirky stories in there and made it interesting.

Weddings are a thing to get through.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 1:09 pm

Most large social gatherings are more enjoyable if you drink, I think even some NTs can admit that, as you wouldn't really have, like, 80 people standing or sitting about talking for, like, 8 hours solid, without no alcohol involved. It's true. And when you're introverted or have social anxiety or ASD or anything else that could make social events difficult AND not being a drinker, just makes it even more unbearable. I think that's the reason why most people drink alcohol when at social gatherings.

Indominus
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

The suits can be stuffy, the food can be yucky, and the probability of a divorce if it's more than expensive is definitely most likely.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

Nope, you aren't the only one. I find weddings to be a complete waste of my time; I don't care to witness two people standing up at an altar (or wherever) and saying a bunch of words just to make their union legal. It's a lot of hypocrisy to me.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2018, 1:48 pm

The only advice I have is to grin & bear it. You're there to show support for your friends, to show that you care. And it won't even be completely fun for the couple getting married; they'll just be busy busy.

The only wedding that I wasn't completely bored at was my own even tho it took an hour. The only two receptions I weren't bored with were my own & one where I caught the bouquet in about 6th gr.

Don't grump. Smile (even if fake, then practice in a mirror) and go where they tell you to. If you were the maid of honor you'd be busy fixing the bride's train ever time she stands or turns around. You could always offer to be ringmaster for the ring bearer (assuming he/she's young enough to need closer minding).

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:27 pm

I've only been to one wedding in my life, that of my brother in 1987. I couldn't get into any of what was going on at all, just felt like an observer. I think I recently read somewhere that people spend around £32,000 on their weddings these days, which just confirms my impression that we live in an insane society.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:33 pm

Me too, and besides wanting to marry someone i never wanted a ceremony

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

In my entire life I have been to only one wedding, and I hated it. I was the flower girl, and all I remember is tossing the flowers and then being pissed off or upset and sitting in a corner by myself :|

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:32 pm

Eh, they might be boring but they're kinda worth it. Fancy dresses, pretty pictures, friends and family, good food, and an afterparty that always has alcohol and fun dancing.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

I feel the same way. I think it´s maybe because it doesn´t have a timelimit really so you don´t know when to leave. In funerals it´s often just a cermony (at least where I come from) so after that you can go home. But weddings can last really long and are often very loud too. There is alot of people that you must talk to and be social for hours with, not easy at all for a autistic person.

SheepleTheSqueakquel
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

I love weddings. The ceremony itself might be a little dull, but I like to think about my own future wedding (whenever that happens). Plus open bars at the reception afterwards are always really fun.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2018, 11:46 am

If it involves a crowd, I'm not up for it. Weddings without crowds, still not up for.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 9:51 pm

I have never been a fan of weddings. I don't know why that is. I suppose part of it is because I don't enjoy social occasions. I'm also gay. Our society still looks down upon anyone who doesn't marry the opposite sex in some big church wedding. I went to my sister's wedding in October of last year. I did my best just to look happy.

zcientist wrote:
If it involves a crowd, I'm not up for it. Weddings without crowds, still not up for.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 5:31 am

Boring, no. I love to dance and eat. Painful, yes. I don’t want to make small talk with people.