Page 1 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

DISCLAIMER: I know this thread looks like it belongs to the "Television, Film, and Video" section of WP but this is mostly about the alt-right/far-right YouTube personalities (Sargon of Akkad, Armored Skeptic, Blaire White, Computing Forever, ect.) taking movies way out of context and its behavior on the internet overall. This is not about movies.

I feel like movies such as Ghostbusters 2016 and Star Wars: the Last Jedi aren't really "Bad" as many far-right personalities would have you believe, instead I feel like they have taken them so far out of context that it results in a "backlash" that in reality is a byproduct of prejudice.

I've watched both movies, and trust me they aren't the stinkers that they are claimed to be. Here's a my abbreviated opinions on each:

Ghostbusters 2016: It's good reboot. It's a shame that it isn't "Ghostbusters 2" like many fans wanted but as a reboot alone it stands out as a decent, well made comedy film that, when you take your head out of politics, you come to appreciate its humor more often. I'd say if you haven't watched the movie, watch it without watching any of the so-called "reviews" (Spoiler alert: they're actually far-right political rhetoric and propaganda, complete with mansplaining men who whine just as much as the mythical "Social Justice Warrior" that they keep complaining about so darn often!) and you are sure to have a fine time.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - I'll admit, the movie has flaws...major flaws, and it has nothing to do with it having a "SJW agenda". Instead it has major issues with the resolutions to the many mysteries left behind by J.J. Abraham's in The Force Awakens such as:

1. The revelation behind Rey's parents is disappointing to say the least

2. Snoke is Killed off before any character development could possibly be done to him, killing the mystery behind him prematurely (and no, any comic books, books or video games don't make up for the Ryan Johnson and his writer's laziness with Snoke. The Star Wars prequels did this better, giving Darth Maul a full story arc in the Clone Wars TV series in addition to more world-building.)

Despite all these major issues I liked the film; it was grim, dark, action-packed and full with top-notch acting and special effects, just like Star Wars always ways. A huge improvement over The Force Awakens's minimalist and mystery-driven approach.

Movies make up and influence our culture in various ways. That said, do you think these alt-right YouTube Personalities are a bad influence to movies and society as a whole? Should they be stopped? If so how?

Please leave a reply to let me know.

-Thomas Jefferson

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 3:02 am

The fascist mentality is heavily endorsed by Hollywood. Whenever the ultraviolence deviates from the usual drivel behind such "action" films as The Equalizer - always a strong individualist who wins against impossible odds to defeat the enemy cabal, and always with lots of tough talk along the way - we get to see the entirely predictable result that the crazies enter with their "analysis" of liberalism gone wild.

It's because of their idea of "individualism" that in real life the wingnuts who engage in mass shootings and bombings are typically loners.

That of course is why the wingnuts didn't like Star Wars. Everything is dependent on a group effort. There are plenty of good reasons to object to the Star Wars: Last Jedi, but the politics is certainly not a valid part of that. For example, if General Leia actually had so much Jedi power as to guide her frozen self back to a ship, then where was she all these years when those powers could have been of use?

I appreciated Rogue One because after all these years it finally fulfilled my wish for a Hollywood version of Blakes 7. I don't know what the right-wing extremists thought of it, although I suppose that they didn't like it because it involved a collective and social, rather than individual, effort. And, of course, because it opposed a fascist tyranny.

I'm guessing that in Infinity War, the fascists were all in favor of Thanos, another strong individualist backed by a largely useless army who wins against impossible odds to defeat the enemy "cabal" keeping him from possessing all the Infinity Stones. Probably the only rightwing objection would be as to which half Thanos killed off. They would love to see all the "inferior" peoples wiped out.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 4:28 am

The Alt-Right doesn't have any effect on movies. They're not the ones making movies. I'll admit that the Alt-Right has some pretty stupid reactions to movies. They see every female character as part of a conspiracy to remove men from movies. I was particularly dumbfounded by their reaction to Furiosa being in Mad Max: Fury Road.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 6:43 am

I saw the Ghostbusters reboot, it was just okay. Certainly not as bad as people were making it out to be, but based on the director's past work and the cast involved, it should have been a lot better than it was. The jokes were okay, the soundtrack was forgettable, the trailers were lame, and the action sequences were out of character.

To be fair, the pre-release version of the film was a lot worse than what we got in theatres, so the bad reviews actually made it a much better movie than it would have been.

I did think it ridiculous that anyone who thought the movie didn't look good was automatically branded as some kind of terrible woman-hater.

I don't care about Disney's Star Wars movies because Disney doesn't care about its Star Wars movies. They're not concerned about the story, as long as it creates new cool-looking characters so they can sell a ton of merch. Some of the actors were only in the film(s) out of courtesy, despite hating the scripts.

I saw Episode VII and it was everything I thought it would be, and worse. I'd prefer to not see any more, though I might watch Solo.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
It's a shame that it isn't "Ghostbusters 2" like many fans wanted...

Ghostbusters 2 was released in 1989 ;)

And as a side note, the Ghostbusters 3 story that they had been working on was used for the videogame.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:05 am

Isn't the new Ghostbusters sexist in that it makes women look stupid? And they make the black lady look the stupidest of all. So the message from the new Ghostbusters is that women are stupid and black women are even more stupid.

Given that I'm surprised that intersectional feminists won't protesting against this racist misogynist movie!

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:41 am

None of those people you listed are far right or alt right. Sargon even reviewed Ghostbusters and said it wasn't bad overall and he was amazed that the trailer for Ghostbusters contained all the worst parts about the film when you'd expect the opposite. So I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's very wrong.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:53 am

The biggest complaint is "Rey" is too talented, she has too much "GIRL POWER".

This was thought to come from angry, alt-right, sexist, man-boys.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 8:18 am

Last Jedi and the Ghostbusters reboot, in a nutshell, the problem people have with them isn't that they're bad movies, it's that they're seen as bad Star Wars / Ghostbusters movies, if that makes sense.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 8:29 am

Oh, while I'm at it, in both cases, I don't think any individual internet personalities pushed the snowball down the mountain in either case. It was an organic mass reaction from the fandom. They don't have anywhere near the power, even collectively, to generate the massive backlash against both movies, especially the Star Wars one. At best they might be able to speed up the snowball a bit, but all they're doing is pushing a snowball that was already on its way down the mountain.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:07 pm

Drake wrote:
Oh, while I'm at it, in both cases, I don't think any individual internet personalities pushed the snowball down the mountain in either case. It was an organic mass reaction from the fandom. They don't have anywhere near the power, even collectively, to generate the massive backlash against both movies, especially the Star Wars one. At best they might be able to speed up the snowball a bit, but all they're doing is pushing a snowball that was already on its way down the mountain.

So what do you suggest caused the snowball to roll in the first place?

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:10 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Isn't the new Ghostbusters sexist in that it makes women look stupid? And they make the black lady look the stupidest of all. So the message from the new Ghostbusters is that women are stupid and black women are even more stupid.

Given that I'm surprised that intersectional feminists won't protesting against this racist misogynist movie!

Actually I think the girls are "stupid" because they believe in ghosts in a world that is highly skeptical of their existence. If anything it's more of a satire on how skeptics tend to believe they know everything about the real world when in reality nothing is as it seems.

...Or so my interpretation of the main characters goes.

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:13 pm

Drake wrote:
Last Jedi and the Ghostbusters reboot, in a nutshell, the problem people have with them isn't that they're bad movies, it's that they're seen as bad Star Wars / Ghostbusters movies, if that makes sense.

Exacly! They're "seen as bad movies" because they may have been influenced by the alt right's propaganda!

...Right?

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:18 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The Alt-Right doesn't have any effect on movies. They're not the ones making movies. I'll admit that the Alt-Right has some pretty stupid reactions to movies. They see every female character as part of a conspiracy to remove men from movies. I was particularly dumbfounded by their reaction to Furiosa being in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Then get a load of this:

-Thomas Jefferson

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:25 pm

No.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 9:29 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The biggest complaint is "Rey" is too talented, she has too much "GIRL POWER".

This was thought to come from angry, alt-right, sexist, man-boys.

I agree she's too talented but I think that has nothing to do with girl power and everything to do with the nerds of the plot. She mastered lightsaber combat when the plot needed it. She gained skills when the plot needed it.

Not much difference from how Luke could become a Jedi with a few hours of training from Obi Wan and a couple of days training from Yoda. The plot needed it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 10:36 pm

I'd say the liberal mainstream, the capitalist mechanics feeding off the liberal mainstream AND the alt-right is ruining movies.

Also netflix, the internet in general, and red dead redemption 2.

Movies in theatres are much more a streamlined commercial product than they ever were, and they are geared towards whatever target demographic the financiers decide it should be geared at. The star wars franchise came from an auteur filmmaker, but has become a cash cow product that needs milking.
These kind of films are much too big an investment to have any artistic whimsy.
But of course, you can't make everyone happy.
So the production company needs to decide whom to disgruntle.
Intolerant nerds? - sounds like a niche audience our target demographic wouldn't want to identify with... If those are all the people who hate your film: great.
If you made s film that pissrs off intolerant nerds, you made sure your film is 'progressive'
You wouldn't want to piss off all women, or all chinese people. Much too big an audience to loose.
The other thing is: who has so far not been interested in ghost busters or star wars? Where could you gain the most new followers? Right. The boys are going to watch it for the brand name anyway. Even the angry nerds.

What is ruining films is that these marketing considerations are real, and they factor into the storytelling. Advertising strategists are writing these films as much as hired writers.
Not auteurs, like George Lucas once was.
Have you watched some films from the seventies lately? Are you aware just how weird star wars is on that context?