Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:02 am

Piobaire wrote:

I love the part where he "approves an expedited process" four days after the fires were already destroying whole communities. I guess Trump just couldn't be bothered earlier during the rain while he was dodging memorial services for the dead US Marines of World War I.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 4:32 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Chronos wrote:

The title is dumb.

Obviously, bad management in anything worsens a situation.

After months of Trump complaining, California just passed 1 billion dollar fire fighting bill that eases up on environmental laws. Are these scientists trying to say this won't help? That fire experts are dumb, and don't know how to prevent fires? Or that 1 Billion dollars won't produce better fire prevention management? If so, then that's a slam on California for being reckless with tax money, and/or that they have inept people working for them

California has a plan
-1 billion dollar state fire fighting bill passed in September 2018
-relax logging rules on private land statewide to make thinning forests easier
-allow trees up to 30 inches in diameter to be cut without landowners obtaining a state timber harvest permit — up from 26 inches now
-allow logging roads up to 600 feet long to be built on private land without a permit
-greenhouse gas reduction fund
-reduce the amount of flammable material in forests by thinning out brush and dead wood

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/31/ ... fire-risk/
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/califor ... ilout.html

Why do you keep repeating this? We've already hashed this out several times.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 4:48 pm

The articles appear to conflict.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:41 pm

I was not aware that Malibu was a forest... unless my memory from when I visited there is mistaken, it isn't.

The apologia for Trump's spiteful and inhumane responses to the devastation of this tragedy are a political narrative divorced from realism.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:24 pm

B19 wrote:
I was not aware that Malibu was a forest... unless my memory from when I visited there is mistaken, it isn't.

The apologia for Trump's spiteful and inhumane responses to the devastation of this tragedy are a political narrative divorced from realism.

Malibu is fairly far from any forest.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm

One could cut down every single conifer in California and there would be no fewer fires. It's actually difficult to set a living tree on fire (with the exception of eucalyptus), and what is actually burning at the start of most California fires is dead grass, and shrubbery, the latter which can grow 10 to 15 feet high.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:38 pm

Hey I have an idea, if forest management IS the problem, how about increasing its' budget AND dealing with climate change, in order to actually be on the safe side?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:53 pm

cberg wrote:
Hey I have an idea, if forest management IS the problem, how about increasing its' budget AND dealing with climate change, in order to actually be on the safe side?
That's what California is doing. They're spending part of that 1B on "greenhouse gas reduction fund".

"greenhouse gas reduction fund" ---> implement "cap and trade" emissions credits --->
to possibly reduce green houses gas ---> which reduces global warming ---> which reduces CA fires

However, doesn't seem like they have *local* control over "global warming"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm

Of course they don't, that's something everyone is responsible for, starting with all world leaders & including the govt. of California.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:43 pm

The bottom line is that Trump is blaming the fires on California's restrictions on commercial conifer logging, despite the fact that one of those fires is not in a conifer forest, or forest at all, and most wild fires in California are not in conifer forests. In fact, the conifer forests in southern California catch on fire far less often than the semi desert areas.

Paradise is in a conifer forest but not a national forest or state wilderness area. It is an ordinary city and the city has jurisdiction over tree removal.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 12:04 pm

Trump tells FEMA not to send any more money to California for "forrest [sic] fires".

REALITY CHECK: Only 3% of California forests are owned by the State of California.
"Forrest" is spelled with only one R.

That Motherf***er (Rep. Rashida Tlaib's contribution for understatement of the year) was not only willing to allow 2,975 American citizens to die of racist indifference and neglect after Hurricane Maria because they were brown-skinned and Spanish speaking, he's apparently perfectly willing to allow Californians (and as Niemöller observed, presumably others as well) to suffer and die simply because they don't vote Republican.

Is America tired of winning yet?

Last edited by Piobaire on 09 Jan 2019, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 12:14 pm

Who owns the other 97%?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!