Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 3:19 pm

I love stuffed animals, unicorns, Pokemon, wearing cute outfits (nothing too edgy although I can't resists the occasional band tee), glitter, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, Sailor Moon,coloring cute animals etc...

I've been described as "cute", "innocent" and a "good girl" and while this doesn't bother me at all (I'd rather be youthful than someone who doesn't have any idea how to lighten up) I'm concerned that people are going to say it's because of my autism. Can anyone relate? I love Pikmi Pops, Beanie Boos and Feisty Pets too.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

papercraneheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2018, 11:01 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I love stuffed animals, unicorns, Pokemon, wearing cute outfits (nothing too edgy although I can't resists the occasional band tee), glitter, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, Sailor Moon,coloring cute animals etc...

I've been described as "cute", "innocent" and a "good girl" and while this doesn't bother me at all (I'd rather be youthful than someone who doesn't have any idea how to lighten up) I'm concerned that people are going to say it's because of my autism. Can anyone relate? I love Pikmi Pops, Beanie Boos and Feisty Pets too.

I was actually thinking yesterday I would like to decorate my room like Hotaru's in Sailor Moon, with the soft lamps and dark colors haha! I was also thinking I realized I stopped putting plushies on my bed not because I wanted to but because I felt like I had to when I turned 30. I like a lot of cute pretty things :D and I put my pokemon plushies back on the bed now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 11:07 am

I think the Japanese call this the "Kawai" culture.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 11:15 am

I think "cutesy" is cool.

I don't find it has much to do with autism, per se.

it has to do with just being cute.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 11:38 am

It's spelled "Kawaii"...

Wikipedia wrote:
Kawaii; "lovable", "cute", or "adorable") is the culture of cuteness in Japan. It can refer to items, humans and nonhumans that are charming, vulnerable, shy and childlike. Examples include cute handwriting, certain genres of manga, and Hello Kitty. The cuteness culture, or kawaii aesthetic, has become a prominent aspect of Japanese popular culture, entertainment, clothing, food, toys, personal appearance and mannerisms.
Example:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 11:41 am

That goes way too far, in my opinion. It's really "overdoing" it!

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 3:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's spelled "Kawaii"...
Wikipedia wrote:
Kawaii; "lovable", "cute", or "adorable") is the culture of cuteness in Japan. It can refer to items, humans and nonhumans that are charming, vulnerable, shy and childlike. Examples include cute handwriting, certain genres of manga, and Hello Kitty. The cuteness culture, or kawaii aesthetic, has become a prominent aspect of Japanese popular culture, entertainment, clothing, food, toys, personal appearance and mannerisms.
Example:

I’m not a part of kawaii culture. I’m just really drawn to cutesy things and people tell me that I’m innocent, cute blah blah

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2018, 3:58 pm

I love unicorns and have stuffed toys all over the place (even on my purse, one is a dog named Distraction that has kept countless littles occupied while waiting and stopped nearly as many meltdowns for grateful moms I didn't know). I keep seeing little kids wearing things that I wish came in adult sizes. I'm not like over the top "cutesy," but I definitely don't care if society thinks women of my ripe old age (/sarcasm) need to behave like elegant ladies when I'd much rather squee and share my joy (and my similar unicorn t-shirt) with a young person of similar tastes and make both of us happy.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 4:18 pm

I worry sometimes I'll be compared to Miss Umbridge from Harry Potter. She was a terrible, hateful person who likes cute things like chocolate cake and ornamental plates with kittens on them. :(

But I can't really be like Umbridge because I like mermaids and centaurs and other hybrid creatures. :)

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2018, 4:29 pm

People always call me the same things but more due to my personality, it doesn't help that I look so much younger than my age. I also like cute things but I have distanced myself from them a lot simply because it feels so stereotypically autistic but oddly since i've gotten my diagnose i've started caring less about liking stereotypically autistic stuff. It's who I am! If someone gave me a stuffed animal as a gift for example i'd be so happy because I love those things, it has never happened though... Not since I became a teenager many years ago.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 10:01 pm

I love all things cat-related. I have stuffed toy cats and cat figurines. I especially love Siamese.

petraA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

I find that a lot of "cutsy" things like having lots of plushies, being childish, coloring, etc can really help me regulate my mood and lighten my stress which I have a lot of due to being sick. I also always take my plushie panda or dragon with me to the doctors cause I find it tend to make them assume I might have sensory issues / mental disability which I know is playing into a stereotype but I do have a lot of sensory issues and they tend to be more accomodating when I present myself younger if that makes sense. I would rather they not take me as seriously as an adult and take my phobias and sensory issues seriously than take me seriously as an adult and then treat me like I'm insane when I inevitably melt down under pressure. Plus my husband is my career and I never go to a doctors without his so I know someone will speak authoratatively for me. I am 21 and married so I can really swing around in how I am seem by hospital staff.

(PS I have been in ageplay groups before and lots of autistic people attend, also the groups are pretty much never sexual in terms of real life picnic groups / littles groups. Online you need to be careful with the site.)

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 4:17 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

Another MLP fan??? Hell yes!
Your autism might be linked to it somehow, but it's not the intrinsic cause. You could always tell people who assume that that's the case.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 4:28 pm

They do say that people with ASD can come across in some ways as child like.
We have an innocents about us or naivety that some find attractive.

My ex-wife thought that in many ways i was like a small boy, lost in an adult world.
I think that intense interests are much like how children get really into playing on their own.

With regards to woman and men being into things that remind them of childhood or because they are cute.
I don't see that as a problem. I think it is more of a preference.

Be aware that cosplay, and childlike-ness is perhaps a kink in some areas.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 4:33 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
My ex-wife thought that in many ways i was like a small boy, lost in an adult world.
I think that intense interests are much like how children get really into playing on their own.

Both of my ex wives thought the same, I suspect for the same reasons

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2021, 2:10 am

I have been called "cute" by adults (usually women) that don't know how old I am before.

When I got tested for autism the second time my mom said that when I left the waiting room to go to the bathroom that some lady told her that I was "cute". My mom thinks that she thought I was around 10-11 when I was actually 15-16. When we were at the food bank once someone also told my mom right in front of me that I was "cute" around the same age.

It sometimes irritates me because when people do that they treat me like I'm a child.