Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 4:27 pm

Has anyone else noticed Peterson becoming more intolerant and emotionalistic with age?

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

Yes. I think hubris is an inevitable result of becoming a "star." When one makes the transition, from normal person whom no one wants to hear, to celebrity where everyone wants to listen, things happen.

It always makes me laugh, when some New York Times (or any paper, really) op-ed writer delivers a sermon to me about all my "privilege," when I don't have any audience and IRL no one really cares what I think, one way or the other. Yet society's "elitism" somehow is my fault.

I am impressed by Professor Peterson, but his message is best delivered by someone who is not making piles of money from the exposition.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 6:42 pm

I stopped being interested in Jordan Peterson when he attacked feminists with whataboutery about Saudi Arabia.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 7:15 pm

stevens2010 wrote:
Yes. I think hubris is an inevitable result of becoming a "star." When one makes the transition, from normal person whom no one wants to hear, to celebrity where everyone wants to listen, things happen.

This is how I see it also...
"Power corrupts...
Absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely..."
Sort of thing...

It looks like Peterson is losing the plot and needs to focus on grounding himself once again to become one of the people once more...
I was staggered by his condescending attitude towards someone who came to him for help...
He lost a lot of brownie points from me with that outbursts...

I'm surprised he let himself get into this position, since he is in the field of psychotherapy...

Such is life...<shrug>

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 8:01 pm

Everyone gets more stuck in their ways with age, it is biological

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 3:35 pm

also: all those young men with tears in their eyes coming up to him and thanking him for turning their lives around (a story he likes to tell, with tears in his own eyes) do serve him with a lot of anecdotal data that is consistent with his theory....

of course, it could also be consistent with a number of rival theories, therefore, it's just data, not proof.
but then... he's a therapist, not a scientist. ...

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

beneficii wrote:
I stopped being interested in Jordan Peterson when he attacked feminists with whataboutery about Saudi Arabia.

When he made a point you disagreed with? 'Whataboutery' is just a word used to get out of being hypocritical.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 9:11 pm

https://www.dangerous.com/50407/jordan- ... chameleon/

This is the foreword to Vox Day's takedown of Peterson released yesterday.

And I’ve come to the conclusion that all this constant prevarication occurs not because he’s a great teacher, eagerly hoping his charges will make the final leap of their own volition. Nor is it because he’s a modest Socratic thinker. No. It’s a public relations strategy, deployed so he never really has to commit to saying what he means, because he doesn’t really want to be understood, because, like his friends in the risible “intellectual dark web,” he doesn’t actually like or agree with his own fan base.

he doesn’t actually like or agree with his own fan base

This might be getting to him.

I can't imagine what would happen to my sanity if I accidentally became a figure adored and financed by the radical, anti-Christian, pro-immigration Left for the things I say.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 10:46 pm

He attended a recent Trilateral Commission meeting. Buyer beware! :cyclops:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 5:59 am

beneficii wrote:

I want Jordan Peterson to condemn Saudi Arabia, but not just the country's treatment of women. I want him to denounce President Trump's and Trudeau's sale of arms to that country. And I want him to denounce the wholesale massacre of thousands of Yemeni men, women, and children.

And I want Conservatives to treat Saudi Arabia as a genuinely evil state. Not as a dumb talking point against feminist hypocrisy. If they can't do that, then I have no respect for them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 12:55 am

Why do so many people even care about Jordan Peterson? Isn't he just some shrink that puts out YouTube videos? People talk about him like he is a celebrity.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 5:44 am

starkid wrote:
Why do so many people even care about Jordan Peterson? Isn't he just some shrink that puts out YouTube videos? People talk about him like he is a celebrity.

A psychology professor, but yeah...his celebrity and the attention he gets is odd. I think people like him because he introduced them to a lot of ideas they were unfamiliar with, but they'd be better off researching this stuff themselves instead of relying on him for their opinions. He has a cult of angry, lazy fans, and he likes to talk too much to do any interesting thinking.

Of course, we live in a time where so many people have a voice and want to show how much they understand life compared to everyone else, so he exists in a moment that's totally for him.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 6:25 am

he is just the latest right wing fad

They will move onto another one soon enough

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 9:10 am

I think what the Peterson phenomena goes to show, in general, is when culture and politics get wacky and nonsensical enough you can become famous just by making more sense than what people are used to hearing. I mean heck, secular talks on Genesis and Exodus filling auditoriums with people who not only aren't Pentacostals or Baptists but don't even believe in God - and they probably pay a fair amount for their tickets, that sort of tells us how strange things have become.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 2:43 pm

It's because the mainstream media etc is telling white men they are spawn of the devil and he is defending them.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
It's because the mainstream media etc is telling white men they are spawn of the devil and he is defending them.

... there's a scene in the latest lars von trier film, "the house that jack built", in which matt dillon is tying up a female victim, about to cut off her breasts and then murder her, while mumbling MGTOW slogans of the "if you're born a man, you're automatically guilty. You needn't do anything, you're guilty by default, just by being a man"-kind. The scene - as is the whole film- is hilarious. The reviews on this film vary wildly - some agree with my view, and some find it outrageously misogynist. ....