People reading their own intentions into your words

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2018, 3:13 am

Recently I've been fascinated by the tendency of people to read their own intentions into my words. I am the type of person who will call the sky blue if it's blue (as a replacement phrase for something factual and possibly completely obvious). I can't comprehend how perhaps the subtle nuances of it could insinuate fifty other different things which might insinuate other things some of which someone might take an affront to. If the sky is blue, it's blue, right? There's no judgement, just fact, but other people insist there is. They insist there are motivations there that simply aren't, even in the face of me clearly spelling it out for them.

It is very interesting how people seem project how they would act onto other people's actions and place their personal motivations on the other person rather than just taking their words at face value.

An example would be if I said, "Hey, can you please not do that? It makes me uncomfortable." The person hearing it might hear those words but, if they are the type of person who would load that statement with unspoken malice if they said it, might translate the request and statement as, "She is rude and pushy and thinks I'm a b***h" and then act as though those were my thoughts and my motivations rather than just taking it as a polite request to prevent discomfort. I've found that tone and nuance of voice don't necessarily affect this, depending on the person. People who behave in very judgmental ways seem to do this the most. It makes it very hard for me to understand how to prevent this misreading of neutral statements as loaded ones.

Anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 4:07 am

puzzledoll wrote:
it very hard for me to understand how to prevent this misreading of neutral statements as loaded ones.

I honestly don't think there's very much you can do about it, aside from hoping that a little autism awareness might sink in one day. For the most part, I think it's something that people don't even realise that they're doing because it's so subconscious. If you try to prevent it by saying; "Hey, this is just a completely neutral, factual statement which includes no value judgements, yes, it honestly is, truly, I swear it on my parents' grave", it just makes them even more convinced that you're up to something.

Most people communicate things in a way where there's non-verbal stuff "between the lines" that everyone's supposed to be able to read, and it really is just about incomprehensible to them that we might use nothing but the words. In the absence of us sending these non-verbal messages, their sub-conscious just fills the non-existent gaps anyway, and they implicitly trust this "gut feeling" even though they have no idea how it biased their reading. You're right though, it is often a good indicator of how judgemental people are; I find I get on best with the people who do it the least, as they''re usually the more open-minded ones - or is that just me being judgemental?! 8O

If you've spent much time on the politics and religion forum here, you'll have noticed that it's not exclusively a neuro-typical thing, either! :wink:

F84.9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2018, 10:26 am

I have had that experience for sure.

I'd say something general and unrelated, and the other person would make a whole story out of it in their mind.

Usually people who would make up this story out of my words, approached me with anger...
It's actually quite sad, because I've always considered myself as someone who is generously open to compromise and rational discussion.. and they simply *assumed* that this was not the case.

It often led to being misunderstood, being approached with anger, labels, etc...
And it's scary, coz if someone often labels you as something, it can affect your self image.

Oh well...

you know, people who do this are in my experience usually not very good listeners.
Any good listener would not simply assume things, but ask you questions.

Best wishes!

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2018, 1:22 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
If you try to prevent it by saying; "Hey, this is just a completely neutral, factual statement which includes no value judgements, yes, it honestly is, truly, I swear it on my parents' grave", it just makes them even more convinced that you're up to something.

Yes! People just can't seem to believe that other people WON'T lie to them! Everyone talks about how important honesty is, but when they come face to face with it, they don't trust it. It's so weird to me.

Trogluddite wrote:
If you've spent much time on the politics and religion forum here, you'll have noticed that it's not exclusively a neuro-typical thing, either! :wink:

I know it's not just an NT thing (you've met one person on the spectrum and you've met one person on the spectrum and all) but it does seem to be less common among autistics in my experience.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

F84.9 wrote:
I have had that experience for sure.

I'd say something general and unrelated, and the other person would make a whole story out of it in their mind.

Usually people who would make up this story out of my words, approached me with anger...
It's actually quite sad, because I've always considered myself as someone who is generously open to compromise and rational discussion.. and they simply *assumed* that this was not the case.

It often led to being misunderstood, being approached with anger, labels, etc...
And it's scary, coz if someone often labels you as something, it can affect your self image.

Oh well...

you know, people who do this are in my experience usually not very good listeners.
Any good listener would not simply assume things, but ask you questions.

Best wishes!

Yes, yes, and yes! It's seriously reassuring to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this. It's just crazy-making. I guess it does help narrow down the people worth spending my energy on though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

puzzledoll wrote:
Recently I've been fascinated by the tendency of people to read their own intentions into my words. I am the type of person who will call the sky blue if it's blue (as a replacement phrase for something factual and possibly completely obvious). I can't comprehend how perhaps the subtle nuances of it could insinuate fifty other different things which might insinuate other things some of which someone might take an affront to. If the sky is blue, it's blue, right? There's no judgement, just fact, but other people insist there is. They insist there are motivations there that simply aren't, even in the face of me clearly spelling it out for them.

It is very interesting how people seem project how they would act onto other people's actions and place their personal motivations on the other person rather than just taking their words at face value.

An example would be if I said, "Hey, can you please not do that? It makes me uncomfortable." The person hearing it might hear those words but, if they are the type of person who would load that statement with unspoken malice if they said it, might translate the request and statement as, "She is rude and pushy and thinks I'm a b***h" and then act as though those were my thoughts and my motivations rather than just taking it as a polite request to prevent discomfort. I've found that tone and nuance of voice don't necessarily affect this, depending on the person. People who behave in very judgmental ways seem to do this the most. It makes it very hard for me to understand how to prevent this misreading of neutral statements as loaded ones.

Anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

Have a number of stories. Trouble is that they tend to be long on detail to get. Might share them later.

But my point is that that is an issue, even between NTs, and moreso with ASD folks talking to NTs. NTs projecting their own motivations onto a speaker where those motivations are not there.

If you have sensory issues and need to politely ask someone to stop doing something like that, you can try larding it with some self deprecating humor. Like saying "I dunno, this is just me being neurotic but...I am uncomfortable with folks doing that thing around me, could you please refrain from doing it". NTs individuals have used that technique with me about things, and it is disarming and a bit charming.

Megs22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2018, 12:54 am

Ugh this is something that has confused and frustrated me my whole life. Many of my family members read into my words like this, and my attempts to explain that I actually mean what I said and said what I mean (and nothing else) usually hurt more than help. People take offense and I'm left not knowing what to do except apologize that they felt hurt. My apology MIGHT soften their angry reactions, but to me it always seems a little illogical to apologize when they're the one who wrongly assumed I was attacking them personally. Also it doesn't help at all with what I was initially trying to communicate. Like in the example mentioned in the original post, if I ask them to stop _____ and they get offended, I apologize and maybe they calm down... but they still don't get the message that I actually really truly just want them to stop doing _____. Or maybe they did understand but just keep doing it anyway? Then what? :-|

Also, I've noticed that with the same people who assume my intentions, I will sometimes do the same to them. It's like because I don't trust them and fear being manipulated again, I'll disbelieve things they say and go into fight or flight and say things like "You always say that but you don't really mean it" and then I'll realize how hypocritical that is to assume that that didn't mean what they said. It's like I try to beat them at their game but I don't even understand it. Why.

Does anyone else do this or is it just me? If you have experienced it, have you found an effective solution? I guess I have more questions than solutions to this discussion.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 1:32 am

Unlike aspies, many people can get through life believing that their mind is like all others. If dullards can't understand science, they assume that actual smart folk are just faking it too. There are whole cohorts of people who don't believe that humans can forgive. We are broadly divided into those who think of society as cooperative vs those who think competition is the highest good. The second group is only able to continue by plundering the first, but that does not change their minds about how to behave, because it works for them. My ex would regularly dream up ways that people might take advantage of her, and then feel justified in "striking back." Countries do that too.