Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2018, 7:44 pm

Reading two. One is called Someone else's Skin which is anti domestic and freakish and the other is more Montifiorre who I never usually read. The Forger Me Not Sonata. So far, so good. Tired of picking up books about opening teashop and bakeries, it's like driving a point about a lack of home comforts in my life derived by not being a great cook, but learning. Timing isn't my strong point and neither us planning, I need the next one by L Riley in the seven sisters quadruples which should have been out by now.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2018, 10:50 am

#Accidental new post, but might make it easier for newbies to find, if they are looking for my posts via mobile.
Probably easier to include two topical areas which then highlight chosen genres in specific detail.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 12:02 pm

I've just been reading (Advanced) Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks lately :oops:

I recently bought the 1E Monster Manual, and I've been going through the original D&D PDFs and trying to piece together a sort of "personal reference manual" with all of the frequently used material, plus cherry picking the good bits from Chainmail, the Supplements, Dragon Magazine, Monster & Treasure Assortment, First Fantasy Campaign, etc.

Would love to find time to read some "real" books, though. I was reading Tarzan not too long ago, but in light of this D&D obsession, would love to also read Princess of Mars series, and Conan (which I don't own as of yet).

Thinking that I really need to invest in a good e-ink reader, but I would prefer a 1080p one in a 10"-ish size, and they're kind of pricey and much less common.

Astridlora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2018, 3:52 pm

I've just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, one of my all time favourite books. I'm not sure what to read next I might read Narnia which I love to read over and over again.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 10:30 pm

I really need to read those (Narnia), I've only finished one of them...and you can probably guess which one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 1:44 am

Currently reading The Trial, by Franz Kafka.
Ever have one of those dreams where you're trying to get something done but every thing seems to happen where it frustratingly just doesn't get done? Or where you're accused of something that you have no memory of having done - if you even know what it is that you're charged with? Well, this book, full of seeming dream logic nonsense, is exactly that.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 1:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ever have one of those dreams where you're trying to get something done but every thing seems to happen where it frustratingly just doesn't get done? Or where you're accused of something that you have no memory of having done - if you even know what it is that you're charged with? Well, this book, full of seeming dream logic nonsense, is exactly that.

also: waking up on your thirtieth birthday, wondering where your breakfast is, ringing the bell and thereby calling the existential inquisition on yourself. been there.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 1:20 pm

just finished Bruno Latour's "down to earth" - a book that entertains the thought that the US, with their rejection of the paris climate treaty, have made public that they're intending to live on their own planet, and that the rest of the world doesn't concern them anymore.
Latour traces this back to the first discoveries of anthropogenic climate change, which were simply denied, while secretely, the rich people started to accumulate ridiculous wealth, which will allow them to live however they want, while rest of the world will have to deal with their exhaust. It has become obvious that the globalist vision of ... "the globe" can't come true for the majority of the world's population, and what remains is the question: where will the rest of us live, as the planet is becoming the garbage dump for the 1%?
Latour goes as far as describing what the rich people have been doing amounts to a declaration of war against poor people, it's about land, but not to be occuppied in the old way, but the land will be taken from them and exploited or destroyed.

a very, very sobering book. and I'm struggling to find arguments against it, but his argument is pretty sound.
it was a bit difficult to read, but I highly recommend it.

it begins with a quote on page one:
"we've read enough books" - Jared Kushner

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 4:28 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

also: waking up on your thirtieth birthday, wondering where your breakfast is, ringing the bell and thereby calling the existential inquisition on yourself. been there.

8)

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2018, 7:54 pm

Right because I am posting from an old, or not very modern phone I need to correct my first entry as it is actually called The Forget me Not Sonata. #Not Forget, or Fuhrer or anything politically minded.
I am still reading this and my open verdict on Santa is good so far as she really heightens the captions on the moods and feelings of the characters she chooses and rebirth and Death, feature strongly as does age. The character is in London taking her two children to boarding school on the wishes of her husband who she didn't love and she courted for two years, following the death of her sister and abandonment of her lover, the brother of her husband.
There are imaginative scandals in the book and speak of post war years during which time the aristocracy never complained about again, at least those who migrated for cultural reasons and war minded pursuits. Health is the mainstay of this book as contemporary suicide was not really an option in higher class circles, where one believed to have everything but not a nice foreign boy to have social interchanges and spend the majority of the time doing Tango for recreation.
How she dreamt up life in the Argentine I shall not know but obviously what suits me, is the ability to understand all the texts that this fab fictional author is for once dreaming out novelly and to near perfection.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2018, 8:15 pm

Just to further add, this thread can be locked via my own accord as there are already too many duplicated book threads which know how to implement a book discussion that focuses on the reader, and not the extreme choices that surround them. Not a thread that singles out occupants of another highly glossed magazine article.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2018, 11:41 pm

Not one to be too hasty, and because mine is the only thread I can find at this time, perhaps growing a niche thread on here is not such a bad thing. It can also be rewarding descriptively...
I was going to elaborate on the ending of that book, that is The Forget Me Not Sonata, and its just to say that it its worth a book review, as she rewards the reader with a lot of powerful evocative vocab, definitely dreamers but includes sorrow mixed with a happy ending.
Started on one book and nearly finished another. I found a book I had kept about eighteen months ago about Angels.
A Debbie Macomber book, American, which I don't often read, first published in the nineties, I was guessing it was the original, and yep needless to say, has some hidden festive vibes hidden in there than any normal stocking filler.
The other, besides those Angels, is Lucinda Riley's The Moon Sister, can't remember if this is the sixth one, must be as there are seven sisters. Massive hardback book purchased from ebay, cost me 12.50 in sterling, took six unnecessary days from a neighbouring county, had a moan about that. About 721 pages, read over 100, should be more twists in the book and takes place around Yuletide, in Scotland, but as with all these novels, the sisters end up on their adoptive flight path looking for the true meaning of family, where they originated from. Named after the stars, from around the globe, they all find romance and a true sense of origin. I can't imagine why they all started out single really as they are all character fully written. If I could actually find a highlandman of my own, I could start ironing kilts for a living, but Scotland is about as practical as a ski lodge in a snow globe. (Alpine cones start to foretell snow everywhere when one bad omen brings a log fire and some shortbread, whilst the heaters pack up..)
I think I may retire for the next few weeks in total isolation to read this one, and forget about the crowds, and dream away. Thinking about reality is not an option even though sleep is. I probably won't get round to writing any fiction, as my thought processes are way too factual these days. I could start writing a book on sleep though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:14 pm

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson for people looking for something with a vibe like
Frank Herbert's Dune or The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.