Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2018, 3:26 pm

There is only low payed unskilled work i could do. That is the problem.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 4:08 pm

A large part of it is that most low functioning autists (by definition) are, in the medical sense, mentally ret*d, with the remaining high functioning autists socially below par. I think the former category probably makes up around half of all autists, which obviously distorts the overall figures.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2018, 4:10 pm

I want to kill myself because the alternative is homelessness.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 7:34 am

Fos11 wrote:
There is only low payed unskilled work i could do. That is the problem.

I'll never look down on those jobs. Any honest work is a decent job and I respect those people. If I have to do minimum wage job again, I'd try my best to do it well. I strive to be the best in everything I do.

You might have to share with roommates when working minimum wage job and be frugal with your lifestyle, but that's common for any youth. You have to start somewhere. You will not be homeless.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2018, 11:03 am

Why do we have to be wageslaves?

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm

The unskilled jobs often can be very difficult for autistics, like they wanted me to be able to move merchandise from a box to a shelf very quickly. Other times it could be very high demand of social skills, like with customers being really difficult to work with. There are probably some unskilled jobs that might not have these problems, and some autistics might not have speed issues on the job. The part Fos11 seemed most worried about, the being homeless probably is not a problem with the unskilled job as you could probably rent out a small apartment or a room if you couldn't continue living with your parents. Yes, its likely if you work an unskilled job you would have to watch your budget, and might not be able to afford a car, but you probably could make ends meet and have money left for a cheap hobby or special interest.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2019, 11:11 am

The Problem is i do not want to be a loser.

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2019, 9:45 pm

There are probably some things about your life that you would enjoy even if you weren't that happy about the type of job. What is more important to think about, is this a job that you can do, and if you can do the job that it doesn't take a toll on your health. If the job makes you think you are a loser, well think about the people that are getting the benefit of what you are doing, and that you get to fund your special interests from the pay from the job.

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

Best advice I can offer is skill up and at the same time try and learn home skills I made the same type of problems you did.

The difference was that my parents acted like helicopter parents and did everything for me till I moved in with my partner and I mean everything even my finances were managed.

This meant that once I had free reign I racked up debt right away cause I had no concept of how to budget or how to do housework or anything and at the time I was only working 16 hours a week. This meant that My partner was working long hours and coming home and doing all the housework where I basically sat down and watched television till he was done which not only made me feel crap but caused total hostility from his family.

Even if you struggle to find work learn home skills like cooking and cleaning as my mental health improved learning to do these and while I now work full time I still chip in though i'm lucky that my partner earns more than enough to even let me go jobless and still survive well.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2019, 1:16 pm

But is suicide wrong?

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2019, 3:18 pm

Well Fos11 if you are trying to not be a loser, suicide wouldn't solve that problem. You'd be losing out on the positive aspects of your life. The activities you enjoy doing, the food you eat, the scenery in your community, your friends, your relatives and so forth. Perhaps some of the things you enjoy doing you could focus on doing better at them, and you then can be a champion at for example video games. Some people even get paid money to play video games if they are really good. There also is the idea of helping other people that can bring satisfaction, and helping other people out would perhaps make you feel more useful. There are a lot of ways to not be a loser even if you can't land a job at the moment, as there are probably lots of people around you that you could positively impact if you chose to do so.

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2019, 7:49 am

Many officially diagnosed autistics are unemployed.

As for those without an official label, we do not know.

MoonRiver
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2019, 8:55 am

Haha! After lasting 2 days at my new job, I think I'm about to be! To be honest I think it's easier to live in poverty with no job than it is to get your hopes up that you can put yourself through the hell and stress of holding down a job. I don't get it. I wish I was dead some days.