Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 3:54 am

Is it true that most autists are unemployed? Is searching for a job when you have autism pointless? Especially because you will never get a decent job anyway? So why bother searchung for a job, and then maybe work for a pittance? But why are most autists unemployable? Is it because of anxiety?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 4:18 am

It varies. Some of our members here have well paid jobs and are fully self supporting. Others are actually homeless, or live with parents or in small places on their own.

Some of us such as myself have worked before but now work only part time.

It's not always about "smartness". Some of the world's smartest people in history stayed poor and were mostly misunderstood.

I'm smart in many ways yet can't always adapt to the working world. Many of us are like that: we know a great many facts and are a mix of high and low functioning. There's a gulf between the sort of knowledge that were good at at and appeals to us, and the general business culture with its written and unwritten rules.

Still others are fortunate enough to find a career or job where they can pursue their special interests and use them to earn money and thus they look forward to their day's work. They may work for themselves or for a company. They would tend to be the happiest.

I think you may benefit from taking an aptitude test or two, to determine where you might fit in.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 4:48 am

Amd then people hate you for being unemployed.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 5:27 am

Employable Aspies often go undiagnosed.
By Aspies I mean autistics with no intellectual disability nor history of significant speech delay (that would cause diagnosis in childhood).
If one is capable of graduating and holding a job while being "just weird", they may not seek any official diagnosis.

Adding that diagnostic criteria require "significantly impairing" symptoms, overall shift of the statistics will be towards more unemployment among diagnosed ASD.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 5:30 am

And i have really no future.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 5:36 am

Fos11 wrote:
And i have really no future.

What do you like doing?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 5:38 am

Well nothing that would make me much mkney.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 5:52 am

Okay, so you are neither a financial tycoon nor a Silicon Valley engineer. Now, what do you enjoy doing?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 5:58 am

No of course not.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 6:08 am

I'm serious. If you can't have a job to make big money, think of something you would enjoy doing. Even if it wouldn't make you afford a house before 30, it's much better than unemployment.

My sister had recently a job of packing calendars. Nothing ambitious nor well-paid but she found repetitiveness of the task deeply relaxing.

If the age in your profile is true, you have quite a bit of time to experiment now.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 6:39 am

But you cant live offf that and will end up homeless in the worst case.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 7:01 am

I don't know the economy and society you live in to discuss that part. I have been poor and have been well off. Little changed in my lifestyle. I know people living with their parents to save on apartament and I know an ex-squatter. I've lived in overcrowded apartaments, 4 in one bedroom.
There is a whole spectrum between 300 sqare meters villa nad homelessness.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 7:42 am

And how did you get rich if you were so poor?

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 8:01 am

My autistic friends have jobs. I study but I have a part time job. I think it varies a lot and it can be difficult probably depending on where you live as well to recieve the right help with finding a suitable job, even if you have a diagnose in which case there are people who's job is to help you find somewhere to work paired with the best hours for you to work but if it's too difficult to get that help some people may give up. Especially if they don't get a lot of support from people close to them to keep trying like me and my friends have. It's tough out there. I don't want to be unemployed personally, it would feel boring and useless + I tend to get very inactive if I don't have a job to go to, I mess up my sleep schedule and I decline in my wellbeing. But i'm glad I have my diagnose because without it I would be forced to work 8 hours a day to survive and no one would be understanding towards the things that I cannot do. I think you can do anything with enough willpower. I have pretty bad social anxiety and I worked in fast food, something I never thought I would do but I applied for the job without thinking i'd get it but then I did and just figured and I can't say no when I need the money.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2018, 8:16 am

Fos11 wrote:
And how did you get rich if you were so poor?

I'm not rich. I live with my family of four in a 2-bedroom apartament and our car is 17yo. I'm financially comfortable but it's a lot about setting your priorities and not spending unnecessarily.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 8:28 am

I probably will never have a decent job, or any job.