Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 5:09 am

Obviously, all 4K TVs are "SMART" in recent years, but when 4K first hit the market were there DUMB TVs or were the initial products always SMART TVs?
I can't recall. Do you remember?
Ty.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:31 am

I think 4K is a major upgrade on video quality. You can almost touch the images because they are so real. I am not sure what "Smart" really means. I know that some TVs have built in doublers that are capable of taking subpar image quality and doubling the resolution and then smoothing the image. This allows someone to play a BluRay quality DVD and produce a 4K effect. That is how I would interpret the association.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 12:19 pm

Our 4K TV was "dumb" when we bought it, but about a year or so afterwards, they released an update and added a ton of "smart" features to it. I think it's a Vizio brand?

One of the updates seriously glitched the whole thing, but a factory reset brought it back to life.

I kind of preferred when it was "dumb", because you didn't have to wait for anything to load up when you turned it on, but it's also kind of nice to not have to rely on the 360 or the WiiU for everything (though obviously the BluRay player still gets plenty of use). It's also nice that when the update hit, they sent us a new remote. The old remote didn't have a lot of features, you had to install a cell phone app to access most of the TV's options and settings.

jimmy m wrote:
I am not sure what "Smart" really means.

Basically it means that it has a processor/storage on board, so it can run streaming applications like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, PlutoTV, etc.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 6:30 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Our 4K TV was "dumb" when we bought it, but about a year or so afterwards, they released an update and added a ton of "smart" features to it. I think it's a Vizio brand?

One of the updates seriously glitched the whole thing, but a factory reset brought it back to life.

I kind of preferred when it was "dumb", because you didn't have to wait for anything to load up when you turned it on, but it's also kind of nice to not have to rely on the 360 or the WiiU for everything (though obviously the BluRay player still gets plenty of use). It's also nice that when the update hit, they sent us a new remote. The old remote didn't have a lot of features, you had to install a cell phone app to access most of the TV's options and settings.

jimmy m wrote:
I am not sure what "Smart" really means.

Basically it means that it has a processor/storage on board, so it can run streaming applications like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, PlutoTV, etc.

Do you recall what year you purchased that TV?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 6:33 pm

You can buy any number of 4K monitors that aren't. I'm posting this on one, it has speakers, 2 HDMI ports, displayport & DVI-D.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:42 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I think 4K is a major upgrade on video quality. You can almost touch the images because they are so real. I am not sure what "Smart" really means. I know that some TVs have built in doublers that are capable of taking subpar image quality and doubling the resolution and then smoothing the image. This allows someone to play a BluRay quality DVD and produce a 4K effect. That is how I would interpret the association.

ty :D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 4:17 am

cberg wrote:
You can buy any number of 4K monitors that aren't. I'm posting this on one, it has speakers, 2 HDMI ports, displayport & DVI-D.

ty :D Appreciate the replies.

Yeah, ik about the 4K monitors, but with a larger monitor (eg. 30" or larger) the price becomes unattainable(well, at least for me anyway...lol).

Because the OLED and QLED products are taking center stage in the market, the regular 4K TVs are becoming quite reasonable, even in the 46" to 65" range. I figured I might look into to getting one to be used AS a monitor, but I'm disinclined to do so b/c of the "SMART" features.

I wondered if I could find an older 4K TV without said features...hence my thread.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 11:44 am

slave wrote:

I'm not sure, but the model number is E55-E1, if that helps.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 2:39 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
slave wrote:

I'm not sure, but the model number is E55-E1, if that helps.

ty :D

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:13 pm

There’s still a few non smart 4K tv and 2k(1080p) TVs.
I have a Roku so I won’t be being a smart tv

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm

sly279 wrote:
There’s still a few non smart 4K tv and 2k(1080p) TVs.
I have a Roku so I won’t be being a smart tv

ty :)

MMPRfan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2019, 12:30 am

Is there even any off-the-air 4k channels?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 2:22 pm

MMPRfan wrote:
Is there even any off-the-air 4k channels?

afaik there is not
would be nice though! :D