Windows 1809... "Night light" grayed out on new computer!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm

On my older computer, the monitor works fine. The computer shows a number of screen resolution settings to choose from, and the "Night light" setting is there like it always has been, despite this week's update to Windows 10 version 1809.

Thing is, the computer is getting old, and I've just built a new one. I did a clean install of 1809 on the new machine, and hooked up all the peripherals to the new computer.

"Night light" is all grayed out (thus you can't turn it on), any controls related to it are grayed out, and on top of that the resolution settings are also grayed out, with only one setting showing. (Happily it's the right setting for this monitor.)

I've poked around on the Lenovo website looking for drivers, but for this monitor they don't even list Windows 10.

How in the world can the older computer have things right, but the new one not?

I've looked into the Windows folder, and its System 32 folder "drivers", but there's no way to tell where the monitor drivers are...none that I can figure out, anyway.

If anyone has any ideas...

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:36 pm

Drivers typically have to be written for every new operating system.Visit the manufacturer's web site to download new drivers for Windows 10.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:55 pm

BTDT wrote:
Drivers typically have to be written for every new operating system.Visit the manufacturer's web site to download new drivers for Windows 10.

Covered. Please see the above sentence-

"I've poked around on the Lenovo website looking for drivers, but for this monitor they don't even list Windows 10."

Besides, why does the older one work fine, when the newer one doesn't? If Microsoft was able to incorporate the drivers before, where are they now in the fresh install?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:17 pm

I had a Canon printer in which the drivers for Windows 7 were not available for several years.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 12:14 pm

I don't use Windows 10, but maybe I can help?

I don't know what "Night Light" mode is, is it just a lower brightness setting? Can you not lower the brightness on the monitor itself? I know that's not super helpful, because you should still be able to change your resolution settings, and I don't know why Windows would disallow this.

What kind of video card are you running? Is it the same one from your old computer, or a newer one? It might be those drivers, since AFAIK, Windows is supposed to be able to get all the information about your monitor from the device itself.

I know they always recommend getting the drivers from the motherboard/computer website itself, but if you can go to the video card's website and find up-to-date drivers there, it might help.

I know in older versions of Windows, when you went into the advance Display Properties page, under the Monitor tab, there was an option you could untick that said "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". You might be able to find something similar to that.

Sethno wrote:
I've looked into the Windows folder, and its System 32 folder "drivers", but there's no way to tell where the monitor drivers are...none that I can figure out, anyway.

Yeah, that's not going to help much, that's not a folder where you really want to tinker around =)

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 10:20 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I don't use Windows 10, but maybe I can help?

I don't know what "Night Light" mode is, is it just a lower brightness setting? Can you not lower the brightness on the monitor itself? I know that's not super helpful, because you should still be able to change your resolution settings, and I don't know why Windows would disallow this.

What kind of video card are you running? Is it the same one from your old computer, or a newer one? It might be those drivers, since AFAIK, Windows is supposed to be able to get all the information about your monitor from the device itself.

I know they always recommend getting the drivers from the motherboard/computer website itself, but if you can go to the video card's website and find up-to-date drivers there, it might help.

I know in older versions of Windows, when you went into the advance Display Properties page, under the Monitor tab, there was an option you could untick that said "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". You might be able to find something similar to that.

Sethno wrote:

Yeah, that's not going to help much, that's not a folder where you really want to tinker around =)

The processor is one of the new(ish) Ryzen APUs, so it incorporates the video processing. (So no graphics card.)

As for going into the drivers folder, I'm sometimes a bit mischievous. I wouldn't have ruined the Windows install on the older machine. If anything I'd have just copied the driver and tried dropping it into the folder on the new machine. (It has virtually nothing on it yet, so I can wipe and re-install if I really have to.)

I was also tempted to just take the hard drive from the old machine and put it into the new one, putting in the new machine's install key to make everything official... Then I remembered the old machine was running Home, and the new one has Pro. So much for that idea.

I did find a driver that CLAIMED to be for this very monitor, with Windows 7, 8, and 10 specified. Thing is, has anyone heard of "Solvusoft"? I looked up the site name and wasn't impressed by things I read in the results.

I've reinstalled, but used Windows 10 1803 this time. It now makes the correct resolution setting available, but claims 1024x768 is the preferred setting.

I don't think so. It's a widescreen monitor.

I've manually set it for 1600x900 and it's working, but I still can't use Night Light and the sleep mode is still unavailable.

Grrrr... It's almost enough to make you want to BUY a computer instead of build one! 8O

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 10:35 pm

Sethno wrote:
If anything I'd have just copied the driver and tried dropping it into the folder on the new machine.

Yeah, that wouldn't do anything. AFAIK, that's just where Windows stores all of the driver files, you would need to hack the registry to get Windows to load them.

Sethno wrote:
I've manually set it for 1600x900 and it's working, but I still can't use Night Light and the sleep mode is still unavailable.

Sleep mode isn't working? Maybe power management isn't configured properly.

Do any of these links help?

https://winaero.com/blog/night-light-op ... indows-10/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/434 ... windows-10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6b2f575c29