Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

weez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2019, 1:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I lost my dad about a month ago.

I couldn't really say "goodbye" to him, either.

He was on a ventilator. I could talk to him, and he can hear me. But he couldn't talk.

He passed away trying to go from one ventilator to a less severe one (one where he would have been able to talk).

True, it wasn't an "early" loss. But a loss, nevertheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi kraftiekortie,
I am very sorry for your loss. It can be tragic at any age . It makes no difference if they were good people and good to us then it is hard. I hope your pain gets better soon. I send you best wishes.
take care !

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 6:47 am

weez wrote:
Cafeaulait Hello ,
I am sorry it took me so long to reply! I am kinda new to wrong planet and I am just learning how to check on replies and all that stuff.
My father had pancreatitis, and went into the hospital and in the hospital other things began going bad so I don't truly know the reason but on his death certificate I believe it says pancreatitis .
I know your still missing your dad and i am missing mine as well. We always will Cafeaulait and sometimes it is not as easy to be happy for the good times. I need to try harder .
I hope you are healing some , I will always be wounded but I know I am a much better person because of my Father.

take care Cafeaulait

Hi Weez

Beautiful, thank you for your kind and inspiring words

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 7:02 am

I thank Weez as well. And Cafe au Lait.

I’m healing pretty well. I wish the same for you two.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 10:21 am

Hugs for Kraftiekortie and anybody who has lost a parent. I lost my mom in 2011 and still miss her. I wasn't a kid, but felt like one. I have changed a lot since then and feel bad my mom never really saw me become a full adult.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 1:20 am

Quote:
Has anyone else of you experienced the loss of a parent as a child? What impact did this have on you? In what way did it change your life? How did you cope with this and how do you feel about this today? How has your ASD impacted this?

I was a kid when my dad died. He wasn't exactly in my everyday life, I hadn't seen him for a few months and then he was gone. I remember the day very clearly even 23 or so years later. At the time I kind of went comatose - at least that's what I'm told. I don't honestly remember, but later on in years all the grief and anger came up. It can take awhile for these things to set in, process and go through the cycle especially for a kid like I was.

His death has messed with a lot of things in my life emotionally and with relationships. It still does; most of the time I'm fine but sometimes out of no where or I'll get triggered by something and all this turmoil about him comes through again.

I've never thought about how my ASD impacted things really. Something more to think about.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:05 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for companions on here because this is a very important topic for me.

I lost my dad when I was 15 years old. He suffered a hemmorhagic stroke and died after about 6 weeks in hospital. It happened so sudden. Saturday night we were playing games together and sunday morning he got taken away by the ambulance. Since he suffered a stroke he wasn't able to speak anymore. This means I never really got to say goodbye to my dad. All I did was cry when we were in the hospital visiting my dad. Seeing my sweet, cheerful father on the hospital bed in a vegitative, unresponsive state was traumatic for. I felt so incredibly sorry for my father. He was such an amazing, caring father.

When he died I pretended everything was fine. I just wanted everything to go back to normal again. I didn't want to be that weak child that everyone felt sorry for. I just continued my life and tried not to think about it too much.

Now, more than 10 years later I am really starting to realise what I lost. Evaluating and reflecting on my life so far as a twenty-something brings back old memories. Memories of my amazing dad too. The man that cared so well for us, the man that meant everything to me. I often feel a tsunami of hurt and sadness just thinking about him and realising I will never see him or talk to him again.

Has anyone else of you experienced the loss of a parent as a child? What impact did this have on you? In what way did it change your life? How did you cope with this and how do you feel about this today? How has your ASD impacted this?

I hope to find soms companions on here.

Thank you so much for your responses.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :(

I've lost quite a few people I loved. When I was about 15 or 16, my grandmother, who had lived with us as long as I can remember and was my best friend and second mother, had a stroke. It took away her personality leaving behind essentially an empty shell. I remember feeling angry that I wasn't allowed to grieve - "because it's not like your grandmother has died" - and yet, I felt such grief and a sense of loss that only grew stronger after she actually died. For a whole year I think I just sat staring out the window, eating Milo and playing the 'Titanic' soundtrack - I was halfway through college but couldn't get up the will to study, which resulted in me failing or being forced to pull out of a few subjects. It was the worst time of my life.

There are times I can think of her with a kind of serenity, knowing she's in a better place and we will meet again one day (I am a believer in heaven). But sometimes when I see something, like a garden of flowers (she was a flower lover), I feel an ache inside remembering how she used to say, if we had a fight or something, "One day you'll be missing me, but I'll have become fertiliser for the daffodils," and such things. :( (She was so right). :(

What I've found is the path of grief inevitably has a fork, where one road takes you to a deep, useless depression that never ends, and the other road offers you the ability to rise above the grief and loss and empowers you to become someone that would make them proud. I've taken both paths. I think the secret is not to let the things they stood for be lost but bring them to life in your own life, which is what they would have wanted. Then the best parts of them live on. We will never stop missing them, but this way we can find a way to carry on through the pain.

I'm sure your dad would have been very proud of you. I hope things get easier for you.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 9:59 am

Alterity wrote:
Quote:

I was a kid when my dad died. He wasn't exactly in my everyday life, I hadn't seen him for a few months and then he was gone. I remember the day very clearly even 23 or so years later. At the time I kind of went comatose - at least that's what I'm told. I don't honestly remember, but later on in years all the grief and anger came up. It can take awhile for these things to set in, process and go through the cycle especially for a kid like I was.

His death has messed with a lot of things in my life emotionally and with relationships. It still does; most of the time I'm fine but sometimes out of no where or I'll get triggered by something and all this turmoil about him comes through again.

I've never thought about how my ASD impacted things really. Something more to think about.

I recognize everything you've written. It's so painful and absurd to suddenly lose someone you love. In retrospect this was a traumatic experience for me. I can imagine it was for you as well.

I feel like I wasn't able to fully process his death up until a few years ago. It can be pretty hard to grieve as a child.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 10:10 am

Alita wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for companions on here because this is a very important topic for me.

I lost my dad when I was 15 years old. He suffered a hemmorhagic stroke and died after about 6 weeks in hospital. It happened so sudden. Saturday night we were playing games together and sunday morning he got taken away by the ambulance. Since he suffered a stroke he wasn't able to speak anymore. This means I never really got to say goodbye to my dad. All I did was cry when we were in the hospital visiting my dad. Seeing my sweet, cheerful father on the hospital bed in a vegitative, unresponsive state was traumatic for. I felt so incredibly sorry for my father. He was such an amazing, caring father.

When he died I pretended everything was fine. I just wanted everything to go back to normal again. I didn't want to be that weak child that everyone felt sorry for. I just continued my life and tried not to think about it too much.

Now, more than 10 years later I am really starting to realise what I lost. Evaluating and reflecting on my life so far as a twenty-something brings back old memories. Memories of my amazing dad too. The man that cared so well for us, the man that meant everything to me. I often feel a tsunami of hurt and sadness just thinking about him and realising I will never see him or talk to him again.

I hope to find soms companions on here.

Thank you so much for your responses.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :(

I've lost quite a few people I loved. When I was about 15 or 16, my grandmother, who had lived with us as long as I can remember and was my best friend and second mother, had a stroke. It took away her personality leaving behind essentially an empty shell. I remember feeling angry that I wasn't allowed to grieve - "because it's not like your grandmother has died" - and yet, I felt such grief and a sense of loss that only grew stronger after she actually died. For a whole year I think I just sat staring out the window, eating Milo and playing the 'Titanic' soundtrack - I was halfway through college but couldn't get up the will to study, which resulted in me failing or being forced to pull out of a few subjects. It was the worst time of my life.

There are times I can think of her with a kind of serenity, knowing she's in a better place and we will meet again one day (I am a believer in heaven). But sometimes when I see something, like a garden of flowers (she was a flower lover), I feel an ache inside remembering how she used to say, if we had a fight or something, "One day you'll be missing me, but I'll have become fertiliser for the daffodils," and such things. :( (She was so right). :(

What I've found is the path of grief inevitably has a fork, where one road takes you to a deep, useless depression that never ends, and the other road offers you the ability to rise above the grief and loss and empowers you to become someone that would make them proud. I've taken both paths. I think the secret is not to let the things they stood for be lost but bring them to life in your own life, which is what they would have wanted. Then the best parts of them live on. We will never stop missing them, but this way we can find a way to carry on through the pain.

I'm sure your dad would have been very proud of you. I hope things get easier for you.

Thank you for your kind words.

Must be hard to lose your grandmother, especially if she was like a mom to you. Grandparents can be so precious.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 1:30 am

Cafeaulait wrote:
Alterity wrote:
Quote:

I recognize everything you've written. It's so painful and absurd to suddenly lose someone you love. In retrospect this was a traumatic experience for me. I can imagine it was for you as well.

I feel like I wasn't able to fully process his death up until a few years ago. It can be pretty hard to grieve as a child.

Dealing with a death is always hard, but unexpected deaths are especially.

Children's minds are still developing and so are their emotional centers. Their ability to deal and cope is limited, so I suspect that's why when we experience this kind of loss as kids it ends up kind of deferred until we are able to process it. Well process it from a developmental stand point.

There's other aspects that come in when losing a parent early. Various things we were still ment to learn from them, for instance, now has to be found else where... or just never be put in place. So the trauma from loss of them is also a loss of what was yet to be. I often try to figure how much the loss of father has played in my relationships. So in that I suppose I am continuing to try to cope with his loss.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:09 am

Alterity wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Alterity wrote:
Quote:

Dealing with a death is always hard, but unexpected deaths are especially.

Children's minds are still developing and so are their emotional centers. Their ability to deal and cope is limited, so I suspect that's why when we experience this kind of loss as kids it ends up kind of deferred until we are able to process it. Well process it from a developmental stand point.

There's other aspects that come in when losing a parent early. Various things we were still ment to learn from them, for instance, now has to be found else where... or just never be put in place. So the trauma from loss of them is also a loss of what was yet to be. I often try to figure how much the loss of father has played in my relationships. So in that I suppose I am continuing to try to cope with his loss.

You're spot on. It's not just the loss of the person but of all you could have learnt from them still. It's terrible. :(

For what it's worth, I'm very close to two people who both lost mothers at a very early age. I honestly think they have more wisdom and strength today than they could have gotten from their mothers. They have more than filled in that hole. I really think life has helped them too. They have always had luck on their side, which people often underestimate.

aspergurl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2019, 1:44 pm

I lost my father when I was 16 years old, and it totally crashed my whole family. Mom went alcoholic and died ten years later. I've also lost both my grandparents relatively early, and one of my close cousins died at 30. It hurts so much everytime, but time heals...slowly. I feel for every one of you!

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

aspergurl wrote:
I lost my father when I was 16 years old, and it totally crashed my whole family. Mom went alcoholic and died ten years later. I've also lost both my grandparents relatively early, and one of my close cousins died at 30. It hurts so much everytime, but time heals...slowly. I feel for every one of you!

Wow....what a bad luck. This must have changed your life tremendously. I feel very sorry for you. Do you still have family left that you are close with?

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 5:37 pm

aspergurl wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So sorry.

Pickk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2019, 6:39 am

hello café au lait.

I know this thread is old but I might have an answer for you.
I went through the same struggle. My anxiety was so strong when my mom died that I would let her touch me. I could not bear it. I didn't even hug her before she passed. That must have been difficult for her. But she was you know... already "in pieces" and that was a pretty awful sight for me. Big trauma.

anyway, I work in wildlife management and that DOES really help.
Leaving and working with wild animals helps cope with death, I think. Death is easier for them. Less culture and drama. It just kinda happens. I do falconry. These wild birds are fierce. It teaches you about courage and death. Definitely.
I would recommend reading the book "H is for hawk". It's a book about a lady falconer who lost her father that she really liked. And how training a bird of prey helped her overcome this trauma, and "free" herself as she frees the bird.
It's not the best book on earth but its short and it helps. Hope that helps

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 7:04 am

Pickk wrote:
hello café au lait.

I went through the same struggle. My anxiety was so strong when my mom died that I would let her touch me. I could not bear it. I didn't even hug her before she passed. That must have been difficult for her. But she was you know... already "in pieces" and that was a pretty awful sight for me. Big trauma.

Leaving and working with wild animals helps cope with death, I think. Death is easier for them. Less culture and drama. It just kinda happens. I do falconry. These wild birds are fierce. It teaches you about courage and death. Definitely.
I would recommend reading the book "H is for hawk". It's a book about a lady falconer who lost her father that she really liked. And how training a bird of prey helped her overcome this trauma, and "free" herself as she frees the bird.

I'm sorry about your mother. It's amazing how wildlife can bring the meaning back into life. When I was a depressed teen, watching Animal Planet always made me feel better. It kind of reminded me what life was all about.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 6:06 pm

Pickk wrote:
hello café au lait.

Thank you for your response. Sorry I'm only just responding. Must have been awful to see your mom like this. I totally get the not wanting to touch your parent in order to keep control of your feelings/confrontation. How old were you when she passed?

I will defenitely look up your book. I am glad you found a way to cope with this.