Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Elvis1925
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2018, 1:47 pm

I was recently diagnosed with ASD, ADHD and OCD because my children thought I might be Autistic like they are and apparently I am. At nearly midway through my 90s I am perplexed by this and not sure what I should do next? My neighbour Liz was also Autistic, interestingly she was 95 but passed three years ago. The only reason I am here is because of my children and grandchildren.

Hello wrongplanet.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

Hello Elvis1925, welcome to wrongplanet. :)

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 1:58 pm

Welcome to wrong planet

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 3:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 3:22 pm

Welcome. I congratulate and commend you on your computer skills and your communication skills. It's a simple fact that most people your age are not as computer literate as you are.

How is your life going? My father-in-law was 93 when he passed about a year ago.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

A diagnosis isn't always for the benefit of the person being diagnosed. It sounds like your family wanted you to get a diagnosis to better understand the how autism runs in the family, as there is a genetic factor in the disorder.

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Elvis1925
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2018, 3:53 pm

Thank you, that is most kind of you to say. I am obliged to my grandchildren for their efforts of teaching me how to use a laptop, I acknowledge that I am slow as a snail when it comes to typing but my fingers aren't quite what they were seventy years ago! :D I place a very happy face, I see it is called, as I am now laughing at that previous sentence.

To BTDT.
I have six grandchildren and they have all been diagnosed with Autism. When they were growing up I observed how they were like I was when I was growing up, the difference being they were diagnosed when they were still young whereas when I was a youthful no such diagnosis was available and if it had been I doubt I would have thought twice about it. When I was growing up being different was not acceptable, such things resulted in a strict beating like if I was naughty I would receive a coat hanger from my mother or a belt from my father. Despite displaying what would later on become known as Autistic symptoms I managed to grow up and learn to live with such things as finding it hard to make eye contact when speaking as well as accepting change, this was particularly difficult during World War 2 when I was only 14 and my father and my older brother were called out to fight. Very difficult times. I had numerous panic attacks at night, too afraid to play up if you like in front of my mother. I remember how I used to hug a picture of the the whole family and I, giving silent prayers to my loved ones out fighting.

I am blissful that since then the world has not dived into such dark times again. It has its problems now but mercifully
no world wars since.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm

Welcome to wrong planet.

I am just a generation behind you, but still autism was unknown and I was just "weird." I learned to deal with it over my lifespan. I only discovered I was an aspie about a year ago. Knowing that, a lot of strange things that happened to me now make sense.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 8:04 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Elvis1925
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2018, 2:23 am

Thank you both very much.

To blazingstar.
I find it remarkable at how much has changed since I was a little girl. The world has gone through so much and comically I am still within most of my senses, but my grandson does have to help me on the internet. I do not know how he puts up with me as I make numerous mistakes and then he says how on earth did you manage that? I think I am doing well so far. Nice to meet you.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2018, 1:00 pm

Welcome to our planet, dear Elvis1925. I was diagnosed at 45 and it explained such a lot; it all made sense.

I do hope you will enjoy a long and happy stay with us and read the various forums that interest you. There's something for everyone here. I'm glad you have a supportive family.

World War II must have truly been a tough time to endure and I'm glad your family made it through safely.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 1:19 pm

A warm welcome to WP. Great to see you here. I am 71, diagnosed in my late 60s, self aware of my AS a couple of years before that, and I think you may be the oldest member here yet, which is wonderful. Delighted to read your post.

Elvis1925
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2018, 6:34 am

To envirozentinel.
Thank you my dear, that is very kind of you to say. My diagnosis has helped to reassure me that I am indeed a normal person just like everyone else, but a little different. I am thankful for my diagnosis at last as it has explained so much about me that I originally believed was something only I experienced. It is pleasant to know we're all walking in the same shoes.
I am pleased your diagnosis has made sense to you and been a eye opener. It certainly opened up these old blinkers. In fact it has shown me another world. It's incredible to think the autism affects people as old as me and people as young as a baby! I find that unreservedly incredible.
I've been alive for a very long time, though I will say that ninety years have gone by so fast that I wonder where that time has gone. In my ninety some years on our beautiful planet I have experienced some truly terrifying moments but none even begin to compare to World War 2. My father did not return from the war sadly. My brother did but he was a changed man, he never spoke of his time during the war and remained a quiet person there after. The war shook the whole world and even after all these years that have gone by it is something that I will never forget and remember until my dying day.

To B19.
Thank you my dear. This is most wonderful to hear, it is nice to know that there are young and old alike in the autistic spectrum. I am pleased though, despite my elderly age, that I have now got my diagnosis. It answered questions that I had always been curious about when I was a little girl, which was a very long time ago. I am not surprised to be the eldest member, it has been an awfully elongated time since I was a young lady.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I only come online once a week and it takes me hours to do anything on the computer.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Nov 2018, 11:05 am

Im so sorry your father didn't make it back home after the war. Thay must truly have been a tough time for your family. It impacted practically the whole world and even my country, South Africa, was not unscathed by events.

You may find some forums you've already visited, such as Off the Wall, fun to visit as you just need one word posts for the most part there!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 11:35 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I think the reason why I am on this website is to pass on my experience to the young ones. So that they can follow a path that will allow them to stand on their own two feet and find their home in this world.

Elvis1925
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2018, 8:00 am

To envirozentinel.
The war affected every part of the world in some way. The good thing is the world has never been in such a dreadful state since. When I see my family and my young great grandchildren I often think of my father when I see their happy faces, it proves that he and many other men did not die for nothing. He gave them a today and I am eternally grateful for that. Thank you. I found the Off the Wall and have been there today as my son is here to help me.