Extremist Proud Boys expected to grow after Australian visit

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 7:43 pm

'Extremist' Proud Boys expected to grow after Australian visit

Quote:
A group newly classified as an “extremist group” by the FBI is expected to grow its membership in Australia, a hate crime researcher says.

The FBI has listed the Proud Boys as an 'extremist group with white nationalist ties" as of 2018, according to a report by the Clark County Sheriff's Office uncovered by The Guardian.

Tasmanian University lecturer Kaz Ross said the chapters of Proud Boys forming in Australia are quite small and it is hard to tell how the group will develop – compared to the US chapter.

But she expects numbers will be boosted after Proud Boys leader Gavin McInnes’ planned tour in December.

“We’ve just started to see men wearing Proud Boys signature polo shirts, turning up at demonstrations and protests in very, very small timid kind of numbers,” she told SBS News.

“So with the proposed tour of Australia by the leader Gavin McInnes, we would be expecting to see the Proud Boys really having a boost of membership and starting to come into their own - in numbers - in public.”

A Change.org petition already has 53,000 signatures calling for Mr McInnes to be banned from entering Australia as part of The Deplorables tour.

This coincides with Shadow Immigration Minister Shayne Neumann asking for the immigration minister to “refuse” Mr McInnes’ access into Australia, according to ABC’s The Hack ...

Professor Ross told SBS News the Proud Boys certainly classify as a “hate group”.

“They not only believe that western civilisation is great, they believe it is actually better than other civilisations,” she told SBS News.

“But mostly they are known for their violence … part of being a Proud Boy is to have that commitment to violence. Yes, we can say they are a hate group and yes we can say they are dangerous,” she added.

Members of the Proud Boys have reportedly been involved in multiple violent clashes.

In October, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called on the State Police and FBI to look into a brawl, which was reported to have involved members of the Proud Boys following an event headlined by Mr McInnes.

In Portland, Oregon, in 2017 members of Patriot Prayer and Proud Boys clashed with anti-fascist protesters that saw nine people arrested, according to the Huffington Post.

=====================

The change.org petition mentioned in the above article can be found at:

No Violent Extremism. Gavin McInnes Should Not be Allowed into Australia

Quote:
Gavin McInnes is coming to Australia on a "comedy tour". Gavin McInnes is no “provocateur". He is not a comedian. This is not satire. It is not about free speech. He is dangerous and should not be allowed in Australia.

McInnes is an alt-right leader and founder of the far-right “gang” (his description), the Proud Boys. In a video describing Proud Boys, McInnes says: “We will kill you, that is the Proud boys in a nutshell. We will kill you. We look nice, we seem soft, we have “boys” in our name but... we will assassinate you.”

McInnes has also said:

“Fighting solves everything. We need more violence from the Trump people, Trump supporters. Choke a m*therf**ker. Choke a b**ch. Choke a tr**ny. Get your fingers around a windpipe.”

“Beating the sh*t out of people? I think it's our job to do it and the cops turn a blind eye.”

“I want violence."

McInnes’ "gang" is true to their own description: they have serially engaged in street violence since they began in 2016, and the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has listed the Proud Boys as a hate group.

I arrived in Australia as a refugee in 2005. I was born in a refugee camp and spent some of my childhood in another refugee camp. I am passionate about social justice and a fairer society. I have found safety and security in Australia. It is my home, the only place I have ever felt safe.

The thought of Gavin McInnes coming to this country to spread hate is extremely concerning. The fact that his hate speech is often accompanied by violence which is extremely concerning. A man who encourages violence, who formed a gang labelled a hate group and that serially engages in violence should not be allowed into Australia. We should not allow Australia to become the last hope of such a group.

I believe any Australians who care about a fair and just society should not accept this as the norm. We should make it clear that: No, Australia is not the last hope for a violent extremist.

Please join my call by signing and sharing this petition, and send a message:

Gavin McInnes is not welcome here. Australia is not, and will not be, the last hope for this violent extremist.

=====