Is there always music playing in your head?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

Whenever I'm not hearing music, there is music playing in my head.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 11:59 am

That used to be me, but now there's only crickets.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 12:06 pm

Occasionally, the music is interrupted by voices.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 3:38 pm

Not always, but very often.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2018, 3:43 pm

Yes; usually videogame music. It only stops when I think hard about one particular thing. It's very annoying when I'm trying to focus on something.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 3:49 pm

The worst is when you get a bad song stuck in your head. Whenever that happened to me, I often prayed for merciful death.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 4:44 pm

At work a lot. Helps keep me sane.

We go into retail stores and physically count their inventory (every darn piece of merchandise on their shelves, and in their stock room). The company forces each of us to be obsessed with our "APH" (amount per hour that we count). Your APH is on the little portable computer thing on your belt that you put your data into. Its more like a car odometer than like a speedometer because it tells you your average speed over the whole day up that point, and not how fast your going at that moment.

Typically I will be put into a straightforward area with a lot of pieces at the start of the day, and then be placed in a complicated landmine type area that takes a lot of time per piece to count. So typically I will start the day kicking ass with an awesome APH, and then... the rest of the day the voice of Tom Petty will creep into my head singing " I am FREEEE... free falling, free falling, free falling...." as my numbers go down, and as mydreams of promotion via a good APH start to vanish.

But sometimes the opposite happens and I will start the day in a hard area, and then be placed in to a straightforward area. When that happens I will hear "Ooooo ewh Child...things are gonna get easier. Oooo ewh child things will be BRIGHTER...and we'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun..."

Sometimes you get the wrong impression that the store is almost done, and then you find out that there is a whole wing of the store we haven't even touched yet. At that moment the voice of the Carpenters drifts into your head. One time, in that situation , my supervisor started laughing when he overheard me singing under my breathe "we have only just BEGUN...to...SMILE...".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 21 Nov 2018, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzyair
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2018, 4:52 pm

Yeah i hear music all the time. i find it relaxing and soothing when im anxious. some nights before bed I hear music when im laying on my bed in the dark. Can be annoying if its a rubbish song though

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 5:28 pm

Nearly all the time. I love music, so that's a good thing. My brain does tend to loop music a lot though, where a certain part of a song or a certain line can repeat over and over and over. Not bad if I like the song. Bad if I don't.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 5:37 pm

Not just music but often times I will repeat a particular scene from a movie or tv show in my head over and over again.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Not always, but very often.
I was going to say that too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2018, 5:50 am

VegetableMan wrote:
The worst is when you get a bad song stuck in your head. Whenever that happened to me, I often prayed for merciful death.

Oh, yeah, you've got my total sympathy on that one. I've had that problem since I was very young. I developed a helpful (though not perfect) personal solution way back in the third grade. I selected a default tune that was acceptable for me, the Lone Ranger music and whenever some rancid music begins to impinge on my consciousness, I start in on the Lone Ranger to wash it out. I also discovered that with the exception of certain repetitive music in waltzes such as Blue Danube that classical music doesn't stick.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2018, 7:37 am

I get the dreaded "earworm" from time to time. It's always a song I can't stand, never one I like.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2018, 7:52 am

There’s almost always a song playing in my head, and sometimes there are parts of a few different ones.

Sometimes I don’t listen to any for a while and just play it in my head instead.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2018, 10:40 am

What really drives me crazy is when I get a song lyric stuck in my head that continually repeats, and I don't know what song it's from. Then it dawns on me a week later.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2018, 2:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
... the rest of the day the voice of Tom Petty will creep into my head singing " I am FREEEE... free falling, free falling, free falling...." as my numbers go down, and as mydreams of promotion via a good APH start to vanish.

Sometimes when I'm sweeping, suddenly "Trailers for sale or rent..." will pop into my head.

And sometimes I'm just minding my own business, and for some reason, "I'll be there, with a love that will shelter you!" pops in, and I have no idea why it's always that song. I don't even like that song that much.

Maybe it meant a lot to me in a previous life?

SilentJessica wrote:
Sometimes I don’t listen to any for a while and just play it in my head instead.

That's what I usually do. I listen to music at work, but at home, I'd rather just play guitar.