Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ah, but how do you differential between those who post their REAL problems and are seeking advice from those who seem more interested in acquiring attention and people to argue with and/or blame for their problems?

There is a difference between discussing or debating topics of media controversy and facts, and blaming others for problems that don't personally affect them and was probably out of their time zone by the time they were born so shouldn't know everything that is being topically discussed or hyped up for the sake of scoring brownie points, then,
there is genuine behaviour from people who are looking for a place to vent their problems be it of a personal or problematic nature that could be differentiated in more detail by P.M or moderator intervention in a topical sense.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:
I didn't say I felt attacked, I basically just meant this thread is crass & not necessary. I'm well aware that trying to stop hate speech online is like dumping matches on an oil fire.

How long do you think a “ I’m sick of the women on wp” thread would stay up?

You are both entirely missing the point.

The title of the thread is stupid, granted. It lumps all of the men on the forum into the same bucket when there are plenty who are perfectly nice guys.

But the point is that there is a great deal of misogynistic vitriol directed at women on the site. There have been a number of posters who blame women because they aren't in a relationship and they feel entitled to be in one. They blame women because they aren't giving them sex, as if they are entitled to our bodies. They blame us for everything that is wrong with the world, condescend to us and generally act creepy. They never stop to question if the reason that things are messed up in their lives might be them. When everyone else is a jerk, it's time to look in the mirror.

Women are often habituated to being wary of men because sometimes that sentiment, that hatred, that sense of superiority and entitlement spills out in the real world. We worry about being raped, abused or killed by a partner, harassed, even shot or run over by a van on the sidewalk for the simple misfortune of being female in proximity to an angry incel man who has decided to externalize his hatred. Men do face potential abuse and rape as well, but for women it's an ever present niggling worry in our subconscious minds. It has to be. That's awful.

The point of the thread isn't to promote hate speech against men--though the title would suggest otherwise. It's decrying those men on the forum who feel it's perfectly OK to spew hate speech against women and do so on a regular basis.

I don't hate men at all. Many of the men on WP are delightful. Many men in the real world are delightful. Shy guys are not the problem.

The problem lies with those who stew in their own resentment, boiling with rage toward the women they perceive as being responsible for their issues. They don't spend a second considering why women find them unapproachable (maybe the air of simmering hatred?) and they won't take any of the advice that could help them improve their lives and attract a mate. Relationships are earned, not a right. Sex is a gift to be given to each other, not a right. They don't get that. They will never get it. They just spend their time seething and making female members of the forum feel like unwelcome second class citizens.

And yeah, I don't think much of those guys either.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm

Didn’t read all your post
But ou point is if a man made the same
Post word for word but about women it’d been deleted and the man banned or atleast warne.
I’m not misogynistic by the way anything slightly bad about women isn’t either.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2018, 11:30 pm

sly279 wrote:
Didn’t read all your post
But ou point is if a man made the same
Post word for word but about women it’d been deleted and the man banned or atleast warne.
I’m not misogynistic by the way anything slightly bad about women isn’t either.

Try reading it.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki