University of Maryland Gives Scholarships to Students Who...

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 9:33 pm

... stayed until the fourth quarter in home football games. 8)

What one Big Ten school was willing to pay for students to stay at home football games

Quote:
In an attempt to boost student turnout at football games this season, the University of Maryland paid a total of $28,000 in scholarship money to students for attending games and staying until the fourth quarter.

For several seasons, the Terrapins have struggled to fill the student section at Maryland Stadium, ranking third-worst in attendance among Big Ten teams last fall. The stadium is often invaded by larger opposing fan bases, and the student section has been known to thin out quickly and easily, regardless of the game outcome.

“I mean, Maryland attendance could be a little better, you see all the Ohio State fans here?” said Maryland freshman and scholarship giveaway winner Jesse Akiva Klineman at last Saturday’s 52-51 home loss to the Buckeyes.

“I’d love to have more Maryland fans here every week.” ...

“Some students were kind of in shock that we were doing it, and I guess kind of in awe, [thinking] ‘Oh, all I have to do is show up at the start of the game and stay there until the fourth quarter and I might win $10,000?’” said Director of Marketing and Fan Experience Jordan Looby.

Another donor, inspired by the original giveaway idea, offered to give a $1,000 scholarship in the third quarter of every home game, starting with the Terrapins’ Sept. 22 home date with Minnesota.

Between the two giveaways, students could have hauled in $35,000 in scholarship money at the Terrapins’ six home games this year.

Despite the added incentive for student support, the $5,000 scholarship went unclaimed at half of the school’s home games, while the $1,000 one went unclaimed twice.