Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2018, 5:34 pm

I've always been embarrassed by how I look. When I see myself in the mirror I always look away, hating how my hair looks and my body. I've been like this since I was little and ever since wear clothes which hide my breast and wear a hat to hide my black hair. My friend thought I had gender dysphoria. I don't, I love being a girl but I really do hate how I look. I can't really explain it. Is this just me or are you girls the same?

papercraneheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2018, 3:30 pm

Yes. I miss not caring tbh. But I also do enjoy wearing makeup... it's complicated I guess. But I never go to work without at least a little makeup on, if I end up needing to fix something in an executives office, i do not want to look frumpy. I also dress as nicely as I can. If I am just going out with friends (rare occurrence) I will wear a t-shirt and jeans, but I am more comfortable in skirts and dresses, or leggings (sensory thing).

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2018, 3:40 pm

I like to wear makeup but it feels weird on me a lot of the time, so I don't wear it often. I do like to wear earrings when I go to work, they make me feel happier in the office. I spend a long time in the mornings brushing my hair and making sure I look ok before I go out. When I go to work I wear a white shirt, a black dress and leggings (also a sensory thing).
When I go out in to the village I'll usually wear a t shirt and jeans, sometimes I'll put on a dress as I love wearing dresses, though that does get me strange looks a lot of the time. I have long hair so sometimes I do like to wear a hairband, but sometimes that feels strange so I don't always wear one.

I spend so much time every morning getting ready to face the outside world. When I finally leave I spend most of my time worrying that I didn't wear the right thing or style my hair the right way. It's so silly but matters to me so much, I think I expect too much of myself. My work colleague Claire did say on Friday that she liked the way I did my hair, so that did make me smile. But most of the time I worry so much about how I look. It causes me so much anxiety which if it gets too bad it can lead to me being sick and having a panic attack.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2018, 3:45 pm

Since retirement, I don't care how I look. Before that I spent 30 years measuring up to office standards. It was so hard but I did it. At the end I got fat and slovenly - just couldn't go on.

papercraneheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2018, 3:47 pm

Ahh, that is rough Faith. I feel a bit anxious if I am not dressed as well as I could be or if my makeup doesn't look quite right, but nothing that severe. :(

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 3:53 pm

I care how I look. I make sure my outfits look good even if it’s a hoodie, jeans and t shirt kind of day. That’s why I like wearing accessories and makeup. I look casual without looking boring.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2018, 4:16 pm

papercraneheart wrote:
Ahh, that is rough Faith. I feel a bit anxious if I am not dressed as well as I could be or if my makeup doesn't look quite right, but nothing that severe. :(

Yeah it's really annoying as it means some days I'm late going to work because I get dressed and then re-dressed, or I brush my hair and then brush it again a different way. It's really annoying and upsets me a lot, but I try and not let these things bother me. I'm trying to get over this weird problem, but it's not easy. Sometimes I end up bursting in to tears because of it, but luckily not as often as I used to. Now it's just inconvenient. Hopefully in time with a bit of work I might only feel a little anxious like you.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:34 am

I know I'm a guy but I have issues with how I look too. I'm kind of short and square and even though I have lost a lot of weight from dieting I still feel like I'm too overweight.

I don't like going without my shirt on like some guys do. I even wear a shirt when I go swimming or hang out at the beach because I feel too self concious.

Also my face breaks out really bad in dry red flakes and I have to rub medicine on my face to heal it

Then there's the fact that I'm now starting to get a little grey in my hair. I'm only 28 I don't want to be old yet. :(

Also I try to dress as decent as I can when I go out but when staying home I really don't care what I wear.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 2:43 am

Unless I'm going out for a special occasion, I almost never dress up. I really, truly don't care about my looks--guess that's one of the perks of being single! Don't get me wrong--I brush my teeth and hair and all of the hygiene stuff. As far as putting makeup on every day, nope.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 5:42 am

I care about my clothes, hair, jewelry and accessories very much. But I don't care about wearing makeup. I can't stand the feeling of coating my skin with something. Usually I look like a well-dressed person with bare face. :o

I would spend about 5 minutes in the morning to groom myself. After that I consider it good enough. Unless I'm going for a photo shoot I never spend more effort on my face. I like looking at myself in the mirror. I know the person inside so I don't judge myself based on looks. :)

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm

I care about my appearance in the sense that I want to look tidy, smart and respectable. I wear a little make up but it's always natural, and I always tie my hair up. My hair used to be thick and beautiful - the only good thing about my looks, I always thought, but I recently lost around 50% of it due to illness so it's thin now. It's devastating because it's getting thinner, especially around the crown.
For months I've been taking supplements and buying special shampoos but they don't work as yet.

I've disliked my appearance since adolescence and I think I've got BDD (body dysmorphia disorder. It's almost impossible to get a diagnosis though because people don't see what you see. When I was younger I'd make negative comments about how I looked but instead of sympathising, people would accuse me of fishing for compliments.

If I had enough money I don't think I'd be able to stop myself from spending it all on plastic surgery!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 1:58 am

I did somewhat when I was young, but came to realize at a fairly early age that I would never be pretty, even with makeup, and I don't like to wear makeup, so I don't. It helps that I've observed that people tend to look better when they have a pleasant expression on their faces, whether they wear makeup, or not, so I try to look pleasant when I have to run errands. Due to health issues I am at home most of the time.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 11:02 am

I'm not obsessive about my looks, but I do care to dress nicely when I'm going out. I don't wear makeup, except for lipstick. I keep things very simple. Face makeup makes me feel claustrophobic, as though I'm wearing a mask. I am small in stature and look a lot younger than my age.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 10:01 am

I have an eye level mirror mounted in my office to make sure I'm dressed properly.

And I weighed myself last night. I weigh the same as before the holiday season started!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 5:30 am

Faith92 wrote:
I've always been embarrassed by how I look. When I see myself in the mirror I always look away, hating how my hair looks and my body. I've been like this since I was little and ever since wear clothes which hide my breast and wear a hat to hide my black hair. My friend thought I had gender dysphoria. I don't, I love being a girl but I really do hate how I look. I can't really explain it. Is this just me or are you girls the same?

I have the same problem. I rarely take photos because I am upset with how I look, the shape of my nose and face and chin repulse me, and it’s upsetting. I must have some form of body dysmorphia. I really think I’m ugly, all of my features are extreme. I don’t have a small cute nose or cute round eyes. My forhead is weird and my neck looks like it’s been squeezed through a piping bag.

Some “ugly” you can fix or hide, this ugly you can’t.

It might be to do with copping a lot of abuse for my looks in life.

I also don’t wear any makeup 99% of the time and old clothes. I’ve stopped trying.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 7:42 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Faith92 wrote:

I have the same problem. I rarely take photos because I am upset with how I look, the shape of my nose and face and chin repulse me, and it’s upsetting. I must have some form of body dysmorphia. I really think I’m ugly, all of my features are extreme. I don’t have a small cute nose or cute round eyes. My forhead is weird and my neck looks like it’s been squeezed through a piping bag.

Some “ugly” you can fix or hide, this ugly you can’t.

It might be to do with copping a lot of abuse for my looks in life.

I also don’t wear any makeup 99% of the time and old clothes. I’ve stopped trying.

I’ve seen your pics before (ages ago when it was as your avatar, and in some old pic threads), and I think you’re being extremely harsh on yourself, if you’re really considered ugly then so all of us lol.
No, you don’t have any dysmorphia.