Shrek’ Screenwriter says “anti vax” equivalent to n****r

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 2:42 am

Shrek’ Screenwriter Savaged On Twitter For Stating That Calling Some One ‘Anti-Vax’ Is Equivalent To The N-Word

Quote:
A Hollywood screenwriter whose projects have included “Shrek”, “Alladin” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl” is feeling the heat on Twitter after declaring that calling someone “anti-vax” is the same as calling that person the N-word.

As IndieWire reports, screenwriter Terry Rossio sent a tweet to writer Julie Benson (“The 100”) to decry her retweet of a post pointing out vaccines can be donated via organizations such as UNICEF. An anti-vaccine advocate, Rossio wrote, “Anti-Vax is equivalent to calling someone a n*****.”

My heart goes out to all the parents of vaccine damaged children, who have to not only endure the sadness of their loss, but also the vitriol of ill-informed and insensitive people (such as those here). Anti-Vax is equivalent to calling someone a n****r and makes as little sense.

— Terry Rossio (@TerryRossio)

Benson responded by stating that she disagreed with his anti-vaccine stance because of “scientific research” that “doesn’t support” his viewpoint, and also asked him to “please never come on my feed with the n word again.” Replying, Rossio doubled down on his assertion

Terry Rossio
@TerryRossio
Do you realize that you are using the equivalent of the 'n-word' in promoting memes that tag people as 'anti-vax?' Do you realize that the same collectivist stereotyping lies behind belittling any group with a label? Do you have no feelings for vaccine damaged kids and parents

Rossio’s tweet received a barrage of criticism from Twitter users, who took him to task for both his anti-vaccine views and his use of the n-word

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 9:39 pm

You know what pisses me off about "Anti Vax" people? They would rather their child die or risk killing other children because they want to believe vaccines cause autism. :roll:

How the hell did that rumor about vaccines even start?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 9:45 pm

what an odd headline.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 10:52 am

I guess I can't enjoy Shrek anymore. :alien:

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm

As much as I liked Shrek when I was a kid, really what a lot of it is are just immature fart jokes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 9:20 am

Hopefully that's the beginning and end of that, no punching doctors or scientists in the face.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 10:14 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
They would rather their child die or risk killing other children because they want to believe vaccines cause autism. :roll:

It's gotten so out of hand, that a lot of people don't even know about the (falsified) "vaccines cause autism" study anymore...they're not worried about autism, they don't know why people think vaccines are bad, they just blindly agree with everyone else.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2018, 10:29 pm

The N word is used to make people feel worthless, to threaten their physical safety and wellbeing, to remind them of destructive myths about intelligence, and to recall a long history of violent oppression.

The term "anti-vaxxer" is a way of (rightly) saying someone is an idiot, a scumbag, and a paranoid conspiracy theorist who wants to endanger their entire community (as well as their own children) because of some stupid thing they saw on TV or read on a disreputable website.

The comparison between the two is pretty disgusting, and trivializes the former.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 11:59 pm

jamthis12 wrote:
As much as I liked Shrek when I was a kid, really what a lot of it is are just immature fart jokes.

the first two movies are the greatest thing dreamworks has ever made.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
jamthis12 wrote:

well, along with Turbo and Kung Fu Panda!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 2:22 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
jamthis12 wrote:

Antz was good too!

I actually like Antz better than I do Shrek. :mrgreen:

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

What a flippin idiot

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

That's what they are. "Anti vax". They are anti vaccinations. So WTF are we supposed to call them?

He sounds like those Climate Deniers who resent being called "climate deniers" because they hate being put in the same category as "Holocaust Deniers". But at least with this second group I can understand the resentment. Maybe they deserve to put in the same category, or maybe they don't. But at least I get why they would resent being put in the same category as holocaust deniers. Anti Vax just means you're anti vaccination. No more derogatory than Antidisestablishmentarian (which means "that you are against removing the Anglican church as the official religion of the UK" as I understand it)!

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:11 am

I can't wrap my head around this stupidity x_x For someone to think calling a person "anti vax" is the same as calling them the N word should just kill themselves where they stand ...

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:25 am

He goes a little too far I guess, but I don't see what the big deal is.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

On the other hand I wonder if this guy has a Patreon account. If he does I doubt it'll last much longer.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin