Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2018, 4:56 pm

Do you find that you are only good in small doses?
As it relates to interactions with people and maintaining friendships, too much of me all at once seems to not be good for....... anybody.

Just tiny bursts, whoosh! tiny doses spread out over time keeps everyone from the FULLNESS! they can't handle it, not even me can handle me.
So I give tiny doses cuz after that in the in between I become something else, something raw and cold that should be kept apart-

And then when I am free, you see sometimes I forget the dosage and give a bit too much -- (most times I long for release)
sometimes the build-up is too much and another victim overdoses on me.
I love my mommy. :heart:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 5:01 pm

Yes, I listen and condense what I am saying to get the point across.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 7:58 pm

I agree with this.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

I think my mum can only handle me in tiny doses. I can be a difficult person to live with. In the new year, I'm only going to visit her and stay the night once a month. Visiting her will be my reward for being careful with my money and my house clean for the entire month.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:28 am

I'm always afraid that, if people really knew how little I knew about life, that they would first laugh at me, then become annoyed and finally, stop liking me altogether. It's harder for me when people start out positive, then go negative than it is when they don't like me at all. I want people to see me as a competent person. Being friends with me is one thing, but I don't think anyone would marry me. I have too much life experience to make up, and maybe won't catch up until my 60s, if ever. Meanwhile, everyone has been there, done that, and would have little patience with me.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2018, 2:01 pm

Yeah, thats why when meeting new friends per se, and I see that they get so excited about me, and think I'm so interesting and "eccentric" and want to be around me all the time..
It makes me.......... so sad
Because I know as soon as they get the full dose ( which is very soon)
They think they figure me out
And go
ooooooooooh and RUN! :heart:

Last edited by 3subjectnotebook on 29 Nov 2018, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:55 pm

I would agree with this. Small doses of me in person are probably the best for everyone involved.....

Case in point just this morning:

I was getting ready for work and in a fairly good mood. I came out of the bathroom and belted out a modified line from the Beatles' song "Happiness Is A Warm Gun": I sang: "Happiness, is a clean co-lon!" Halfway through the line, my wife didn't even want me to finish singing as she bellowed louder than my singing: "ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!".

Small doses.....

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:59 pm

people seem to want me only in small doses.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 3:08 pm

Many people can only take me in small doses. But I do have a few people in my life who enjoy my company for extended periods of time. And by the same token, there are only a few people I can stand to be around for very long. Which reminds of something George Carlin once said.

"I like people, but I like them in short bursts. I don't like people for extended periods of time. I'm all right with them for a little while. But once you get to a minute, minute and a half... I gotta get the f**k outta there!"

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 3:19 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Many people can only take me in small doses. But I do have a few people in my life who enjoy my company for extended periods of time. And by the same token, there are only a few people I can stand to be around for very long. Which reminds of something George Carlin once said.

"I like people, but I like them in short bursts. I don't like people for extended periods of time. I'm all right with them for a little while. But once you get to a minute, minute and a half... I gotta get the f**k outta there!"

This is a good point. The feeling is mutual for me like it is for you in that there are only a handful of people that I desire to be around for more than brief periods.

NecroBernard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm

I'm radically honest and I like going balls-to-the-wall, so complete opposite of what you're describing. Dislike small talk in the extreme, so I like to get to the point where we all know whether we can stand each other as quickly as I can. I've made some extremely good friends, and a lot of people say they appreciate my honesty, but I've scared away plenty of others. I don't know how many people I interact with get an overdose on the first chat, but I do know it's effective at what I want it to do, and makes damn sure I don't sit in the background and never speak, because without doing this, that's what I do. It helps me quite a bit with confidence in social situations when I don't have to agonize over other people's reactions.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2018, 3:52 pm

ohhhhhh no small doses doesn't mean small talk
I don't even think I know how one does small talk

I mean, just not speaking my whole mind in one sitting, not letting it all out on you( which I often fail to do)

And when I was younger I didn't use to say alot, I would always be quiet and sit in the back and people didn't know what to think of me, they used to say how mysterious I was ( and I LOVED IT) even though it was really hard to be that way , I preferred those times because no one knew my thoughts, I wrote more, I was more observant not caring about the concept of friends and I was happier then.

I gave up on my pretenses a long time ago and Now I often go FULL THROTTLE more than usual (and I hate it) because I also suffer the consequences of not controlling my thoughts and what comes out of my mouth! just speaking bluntly and unabashedly

*Most of us here are quite blunt and honest and that's good
but
NOT everything that is true and honest has to be told!
sometimes I forget this, so I have to remind myself .. ok in SMALL DOSES!

NecroBernard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2018, 4:21 pm

No, I was just saying small talk is part of the reason I do that. I like getting to the point, and I've been doing it for so long, it feels almost manipulative not to do it.

That isn't to say I just blurt out everything, apropos of nothing, it's just that when I talk, I TALK. And I talk about things a lot of people find uncomfortable. I give people a disclaimer beforehand, basically saying that at any point during the conversation they can call me a weirdo and leave without me holding it against them.

Last bumped by 3subjectnotebook on 29 Nov 2018, 4:21 pm.