Who struggles with Team Work or Team Building Activities?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 4:39 pm

Something I haven't done in a while. But in situations where I have found myself doing team work or working in a team I end up finding it a bit of a struggle or get this feeling of being overwhelmed with what I am suppose to do and then completely switch off when being explained what we are doing as a team.

Also Team Building Exercises. Does anyone have any issue with that or understand the point of I don't falling and catching, or having to move to crates from one side of the room to the other pretending it is some sort of swamp. My thought is who invented these sort of things?

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2018, 4:45 pm

That happens to me nearly every day at work. We have to do meetings, use each other's computers and check through notes together. It's really irritating because when we check through the notes and files they've already read through five pages and I'm only on page two, which then leads to me feeling poorly and then I have to go to the toilet to wash water over my face. 9 times out 10 I throw up which is gross. Team work is awful for me, I'm too slow and half the time don't even understand what it's for or what we're accomplishing by doing this.

Whoever created it was not Autistic.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 4:51 pm

Team building sucks. It just makes me resent work more. It's like brainwashing people into being a fake family, and thinking your employer really cares about you.

Aspects of team work can be tough, but if it's for a good cause and necessary then I can appreciate it and will do my best.

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2018, 4:55 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Team building sucks. It just makes me resent work more. It's like brainwashing people into being a fake family, and thinking your employer really cares about you.

Aspects of team work can be tough, but if it's for a good cause and necessary then I can appreciate it and will do my best.

I think where I work it's for a good cause. I think the idea is so we all know what's going on and can work together without any problems. We all get on, it's just my slowness and inability to understand my colleagues which holds us back. I'm 26 tomorrow and we have a big meeting, with the boss. I hope I don't get fired, I have been struggling this last week.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 5:04 pm

Faith92 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

I think where I work it's for a good cause. I think the idea is so we all know what's going on and can work together without any problems. We all get on, it's just my slowness and inability to understand my colleagues which holds us back. I'm 26 tomorrow and we have a big meeting, with the boss. I hope I don't get fired, I have been struggling this last week.

I hope you don't get fired too. I wish you the best :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 5:07 pm

Yes, I did a Team Building Exercise a few times. There was a series of challenges almost like games. Normally they gave us a challenge and it seemed that everyone looked to the boss for direction and then discussions began about the best way to tackle the challenge.

I remember in one of the scenarios they gave us, the team was trapped on one side of a river infested with alligators. We had to get everyone across without anyone being eaten. While everyone was talking and debating, I just walked away from the group and picked up a board and began simple construction of a walking bridge. I picked up another long board and walked on the first segment of the bridge and constructed it one board at a time. I am gifted with an exceptionally good sense of balance. As I neared completion of the bridge, the rest of the team became aware and stopped talking and began walking across. In the end we got everyone across from one side of the river to the other except for one person who was deafly afraid of falling in. So I walked back and got him and started slowly walking him across. We made it half way across when the whistle blew marking the end of the time interval. As it turned our team was able to get more individuals across than any other team.

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2018, 5:11 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Faith92 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

I hope you don't get fired too. I wish you the best :)

Thanks I hope not as well. That would wreck my birthday not to mention it would be really hard for me to find another job. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 5:17 pm

I made it very clear that I don't do team-building days, even if it meant that I was at work on my own while everyone else was off in the Welsh hills "enjoying" themselves. Luckily I was in a position where I could get away with that kind of thing. I left work a few years ago... but commiserations to anyone that has to endure this sort of nonsense.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 5:35 pm

I can handle team building where there's a logical purpose or the exercise itself is intellectually mature and "adult".

Team building exercises that seem juvenile make me very uncomfortable since I'm an adult in a room with other adults. I can't stand those kinds of things.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 8:33 pm

I loathed team building exercises and similar game playing!! The worst was some expert expecting a group of managers to play ring around the rosie. Though that did pull a team together to get rid of the expert.