What literary character do you most identify with?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 10:49 pm

This is just a question started out of curiosity. I know for me, I identify with Will McLean, one of the characters out of the novel The Lords Of Discipline, by Pat Conroy. He and I are both share the point of view of an outsider looking in (you'd have to read the book to know what I'm talking about; I'm horrible at trying to explain things!) and we're both a bit cynical as well.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 3:37 pm

Ignatius

"A Confederacy of dunces"

We both are misanthropic , cynical, weird

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:29 pm

Arthur Dent from The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy - perpetually bewildered, always able to be sullen in the most mind-blowing circumstances, perplexed by the idea of "fun", able to survive on sandwiches, overly fond of tea and my dressing-gown, and (mostly) harmless (I'm still working on the withering one-liners and unassisted flight, though!)

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:47 pm

Candide. He travels through life encountering adventures many of which are unbelievable and shocking. He's capable of love, but on his adventures he witnesses the pathetic and disgusting side of humanity all around him. Magnifying this, he travels with Dr. Pangloss, an absurdly blind optimist, an embodiment of self-deception, who refuses to acknowledge the fallen and weak nature of humanity including his own.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 1:49 am

Henry Chinaski from Post Office, by Charles Bukowski.
I see something of my self in Chinaski, and not entirely in a good way. Chinaski drinks too much and seems drawn to the wrong kind of women. He goes to work for the post office in Los Angeles where he learns to despise his supervisors and the rigid regulations, and so quits and intends to just stay drunk and work dead end jobs. With the realization that there is little money to be made in such a life, he goes back to work for... wait for it... wait for it... the post office! He labors away in the thankless and miserable job of a mail sorter, certain he's going to die before he can retire. In the end, after a string of misadventures and broken relationships, he quits at age fifty to follow his dream of becoming a writer, feeling that being happy but starving was better than being financially secure but going insane. With the exception of working at the post office and various other details, his life wasn't entirely dissimilar to mine, especially when Chinaski embraces the life of a man of letters.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:23 am

Charles Darnay, from "Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens.

Mainly for being judged 'guilty' in the Court of Popular Opinion for the crimes of my relatives.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:58 am

The father in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," minus the drunkenness.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:34 am

In eighth grade I really liked Holden Caulfield. I understood him.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 6:51 pm

Gintama in general.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

Jason Bourne