How should I socialize with NTs who are like this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2018, 12:59 am

It seems to me that NTs like things that I don't really care about: like selfies, food, celebrity gossips, etc
And they don't care about what I care about: science and technology.

My facebook posts about science and tech get between 1~3 likes. But when I upload food I cooked, or even, a selfie, then they can get more than 10 likes.

It seems the only thing we all care about is gaming and anime.

I don't know. I want to be more popular than that. But I'm not interested in the things they find interesting.
What should I do?

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2018, 2:46 am

Stop worrying about being popular on FB. Unless the people you are interacting with there are already friends or family you are wasting your time.

If you must spend time on FB try searching for special interest groups related to your own interests. Such groups can act as useful information exchanges and you may make friends there if you have something interesting to offer. Alternatively look for other forums related to your interests. You will find there are plenty of NTs who are interested in science and technology and are extremely knowledgeable about the subject (or pretty much any other subject).

If you have positive contributions to make people will come to respect you. They may not be real friends in the sense that you will probably never meet them in person but the interactions you have will be far more interesting and positive than simply posting stuff on your own FB page in the hope of becoming popular.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:20 am

I co-sign sandpiper. I mostly go to events organized by nature lovers and history buffs, and they're filled with NTs that talk about a host of interesting topics.

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2018, 4:06 pm

The lowest common denominator always wins. A carl jr.'s commercial with a girl in a bikini will be liked more than a commercial telling you about the flavor of the hamburger. There is a book called "when likes are not enough"

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 4:44 pm

I don't use Facebook. I don't want other people to know my business. I don't even reveal my name on this site.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 5:19 pm

nomad42 wrote:
... A Carl's jr. commercial with a girl in a bikini will be liked more than a commercial telling you about the flavor of the hamburger...
The Yale Book of Quotations has this principle under the name of marketing expert Elmer Wheeler: "Don’t Sell the Steak -- Sell the Sizzle!" (Tested Sentences That Sell - 1937).

In other words, the emotional connection to the sensory appeal is more compelling than a recitation of facts ... which is also why fashion, gossip, and selfies are more popular than science.

Arronax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2018, 4:48 pm

Are you sure it's a NT's thing and not in general just people?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 5:35 pm

If you think socializing on facebook is hard then socializing offline must be killer for you o-o

33leo33
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2018, 12:17 am

Don't worry about being popular. I went through a phase where I thought that my popularity would equate to my standard "success" in life, but this is simply not true.

Why not try to bring your passion to people in a way that would also get them interested? Maybe start a YouTube channel, start a blog, or share your science and tech projects. Basically, turn your interest into a spectacle.

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2018, 12:20 am

How could you not care about 'celebrity' but care for 'likes' when they're both connected?

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2018, 9:10 am

Planetarium wrote:
How could you not care about 'celebrity' but care for 'likes' when they're both connected?

No, because my facebook "friends" are mostly my former classmates, and I get very embarrassed if my posts don't get as much likes as they do.

On the other hand, my Twitter is very popular (4000+ followers) because I only talk about Nintendo games on my Twitter, and all my friends/ fans are Nintendo fans.
(And I didn't add any former classmates on my Twitter)
My posts on Twitters can easily get 100+ likes.

No offense, but I resent my former classmates.
I absolutely hated the fact that I went to an all-girl's school.
I truly believe that I would be way more popular if I went to a co-ed school.

33leo33 wrote:
Don't worry about being popular. I went through a phase where I thought that my popularity would equate to my standard "success" in life, but this is simply not true.

Why not try to bring your passion to people in a way that would also get them interested? Maybe start a YouTube channel, start a blog, or share your science and tech projects. Basically, turn your interest into a spectacle.

I actually had a Nintendo Youtube channel with 3000+ subs, but then I found it too stressful.
I deleted it after losing a bet with somebody (which was an excuse to delete my Youtube channel)

I kept my Twitter accounts though.
One had 1000+ followers and the other has 4000+ followers.

I just get very nervous and embarrassed when I don't get a lot of likes.
I'm not sure what type of disorder that is.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 1:33 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
What should I do?

It's quite normal and also a big problem to me with this. The common interests of most people are rather deathly boring.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:
What should I do?

It's quite normal and also a big problem to me with this. The common interests of most people are rather deathly boring.

That's exactly what I feel.
But most people find my interests boring.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 4:15 am

I also noticed that my posts, especially the ones i considered important, would also get barely a single like or view. Then one day i put a picture of my cat playing and looking cute. DING. DING.... DING DING DING.... suddenly all these people were there clicking on my post to see my cat simply acting adorable.
After some thinking on my part, i came up with the new plan. Now, anytime I must post something serious or important to FB, i throw in some cute puppy and kitten pics. Cute little animals are irresistible for many people on FB. And then they are reading my post. By the time they figure out my bait and switch operation it's too late. They're already nearly done and many of them even reply to my posts now. Maybe the cute baby animal pics will help you too. Or use any pictures of things, people or natural that may work out for your post readers

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 7:56 am

skahthic wrote:
Maybe the cute baby animal pics will help you too.

Thats not the point. The people are not only uninterested but unable to discuss scientific stuff because they don't have any clue about it. You can talk about football and trash but science? No way.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2018, 10:00 am

quite an extreme wrote:
skahthic wrote:
Maybe the cute baby animal pics will help you too.

Thats not the point. The people are not only uninterested but unable to discuss scientific stuff because they don't have any clue about it. You can talk about football and trash but science? No way.

Exactly.
Very few people actually know enough science to discuss about it.