How should I socialize with NTs who are like this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2018, 10:00 am

quite an extreme wrote:
skahthic wrote:
Maybe the cute baby animal pics will help you too.

Thats not the point. The people are not only uninterested but unable to discuss scientific stuff because they don't have any clue about it. You can talk about football and trash but science? No way.

Exactly.
Very few people actually know enough science to discuss about it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 7:04 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
It seems to me that NTs like things that I don't really care about: like selfies, food, celebrity gossips, etc
And they don't care about what I care about: science and technology.

My facebook posts about science and tech get between 1~3 likes. But when I upload food I cooked, or even, a selfie, then they can get more than 10 likes.

It seems the only thing we all care about is gaming and anime.

I don't know. I want to be more popular than that. But I'm not interested in the things they find interesting.
What should I do?

What Facebook is about is image control -- depressed people posting selfies of them grinning from ear to ear, trying desperately to hide the misery they feel inside. People posing pics of food they cooked for all to see and 'like'. It's about validation -- posting pics and sharing posts that they feel will get plenty of 'likes', as if all those thumbs ups gave them social capital. It's all social currency, and for the insecure, it can feel like a world of difference between feeling like a loser and feeling like someone who matters.

I hate Facebook, but it is a necessary platform in some social circles.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 2:58 am

quite an extreme wrote:
skahthic wrote:
Maybe the cute baby animal pics will help you too.

Thats not the point. The people are not only uninterested but unable to discuss scientific stuff because they don't have any clue about it. You can talk about football and trash but science? No way.

Find the people who are interested in and knowledgeable about science instead of trying to get the attention of a general audience.