Yes but I didn't get it until after I was 25 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
No but I intend to get one in the future 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 72

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Nov 2018, 10:01 am

I last drove and renewed my license many years ago. I just haven't got round to renewing it and haven't been able to afford a vehicle for some time. I can only drive automatic vehicles as I could never get to work the clutch pedal in sync with the brake and accelerator. I was never able to ride a bicycle either. My motor co-ordination skills aren't the best.

The plus side is that I do save quite a bit not having a car.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 10:04 am

I drive short distances with little traffic in daylight on a "good" day.
I'm generally not trusted behind a wheel.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Nov 2018, 6:14 pm

I cant drive cuz my vision is too bad(I have a rare low vision disorder), & I also have problems focusing & paying attention due to ADD, & I get directions confused & mixed up & get lost easily due to dyslexia. I took drivers ed cuz one eye doc said he would sign that I could drive with restrictions but I really should not be driving. It s#cked not being able to drive cuz I grew up in a rural area with nothing within walking distance & no public transportation. I'm an only child & lived with my parents who griped about being forced to be my personal chauffeur. They said how if I would of made friends when I was in skewl, my friends could of taken me places instead. I couldn't make friends as an adult cuz my parents would of had to take me somewhere I could meet people & my parents would of complained about doing it.
I moved in with my girlfriend at 30 & we live in the city so we take buses cuz she cant drive either. Plus there are some places within walking distance to us.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 6:32 pm

I have a license but don’t have a car and such don’t drive

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 11:13 pm

I love driving. I got my beginner’s license on my 16th birthday. I learned how to drive a manual transmission and drove one for about twenty years until it got too painful working the clutch in heavy traffic. I drive pretty much every day. My husband drives too, but he’s usually my passenger.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 11:15 pm

When I was 20 got driver's license

Drove some

Not lately

Too paranoid an entitled lil simpleton will dart six inches in front of the car, and win a civil lawsuit against me. Even though the pedestrian was , at fault, for jaywalking.

Good thing I live somewhere with good public transportation

Anxiety

Yes I am bad at driving, but many drivers are worse so whatever

:twisted:

Last year, the counselor put "motor retardation" on the Insurance form

And I was paranoid she might tell the department of motor vehicles, to revoke my driver's license

She did not

But I was really careful, not to mention driving.

:roll:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 12:59 am

AnneOleson wrote:
I love driving. I got my beginner’s license on my 16th birthday. I learned how to drive a manual transmission and drove one for about twenty years until it got too painful working the clutch in heavy traffic. I drive pretty much every day. My husband drives too, but he’s usually my passenger.

I enjoyed driving and miss it

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 2:21 am

I not only drive, I just bought myself a new car 8)
well... it's two years old, but new to me! (the newest car I've ever owned)

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 11:43 am

Got my license at 16 but don't currently have a car and haven't for years. I only rent a car on the odd occasion to drive, but mostly have nowhere to go so I am at home most days. Even if I did have a car, it would cost so much that I wouldn't have money left to do anything or go anywhere anyway.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 11:55 am

I got my license at 16. I drive most days to work. I learned on a manual transmission vehicle and drove one for many years and prefer them to automatic transmission. I haven't owned a manual transmission vehicle for about five years since it's nearly impossible to find a newer vehicle in the U.S. with a manual transmission that also have four wheel or "all wheel" drive. I need that where I live since we can have snow and icy roads for over six months of the year.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket and I take pride in following the "rules of the road".

Driving long distances is very mentally draining for me.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2018, 3:11 pm

I've never learnt to drive and nor do I intend to either. I'm lucky enough to live in London where there is a very extensive public transport network so there is no real need to own a car. I realise most on here aren't fortunate enough to be in that position.

I think I'd be a pretty lousy driver anyway. I lack patience while sitting in traffic as a passenger so I can only imagine how angry and frustrated I'd be if I was the one behind the wheel!

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 8:50 pm

Magna wrote:
I got my license at 16. I drive most days to work. I learned on a manual transmission vehicle and drove one for many years and prefer them to automatic transmission. I haven't owned a manual transmission vehicle for about five years since it's nearly impossible to find a newer vehicle in the U.S. with a manual transmission that also have four wheel or "all wheel" drive. I need that where I live since we can have snow and icy roads for over six months of the year.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket and I take pride in following the "rules of the road".

Magna, my husband used to have a Jeep that was manual transmission and four wheel drive. I have a new small SUV that is AWD and the “faux” manual shift. I can move the shifter over and run it through the gears, just no clutch pedal. Its kind of fun, but I get concerned that I will forget there’s no clutch pedal and hit the brakes. :D

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 8:51 pm

Magna wrote:

Deleted as duplicate

Last edited by AnneOleson on 30 Nov 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 8:55 pm

I've had a drivers licence since I was 17, but sadly not allowed to drive now due to medical issues, so I enjoy being chauffeured around and waving at people like I'm a celebrity.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2018, 9:55 pm

I have a learners permit but hoping to get a official license in the next 2 months or so. I've had my learners permit for 1 1/2 year because I have so many things that have been going on in my life that have been in the way. My mom and dad told me i need to start practicing because there sick of driving me around, which i get because i'm a busy person. Anyways, I'll get the license soon hopefully! :D

Megs22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2018, 9:56 pm

[/quote]I got anxious on unfamiliar roads as well and I found driving at night time hard as well, I found other cars lights too bright so avoided night travel whenever possible.[/quote]

I have problems with other cars' lights being too bright at night, and have always wondered why nobody else seems to mind that much, and my family thinks I'm exaggerating when I put my hand up to block the lights or move my rearview mirror down. Good to know I'm not the only onr, maybe I'm not exaggerating.

And yes about anxiety on unfamiliar routes. I'm actually really really bad with directions in general, unless I've studied a map ahead of time. Driving anywhere but the country stresses me out and exhausts me. I feel unsafe sometimes, like maybe I shouldn't be on the roads lol, but do it anyway because no one's taken my license yet hehe and it's pretty necessary in my case if I want any semblance of independence.